Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM

Default 1 long session or several short?

For as long as I can remember, when I record in protools, I open up a new session for every song. This gets annoying and time consuming when I record more than one song from the same band, because then I have to write down the levels and copy them to the other sessions. If I just did one long session with all of the songs on it, would that run more cpu power, enough to prompt the ever so annoying "You are running out of CPU power" message? Thanks

Home:2013 nMac Pro 3.5 GHz 6 Core Xeon E5, OSX 10.10, 16 GB RAM, UA Apollo Quad Thunderbolt, PT 11.3.1
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 1 long session or several short?

Others who are more knowledgable might have better ideas, but I'll offer a couple.

Look into "import session data", or something like that. That is a way to import the mixer behavior of one session into the other. Look it up in the manual for a real explanation.

Another idea would be to use playlists. The playlist concept is the greatest thing ever. Make a track for each thing recorded (kick, snare, oh, bass di, amp guitar, etc. Then use a new playlist for each new song, the mixer set up could stay the same.

Using playlists TOTALLY RULES!! If you don't know how to use them, learn. You will be glad you did.

Hope this helps-

PC
Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 AM

So I take you aren't working to a click? Or are you setting up new tempos and time signatures throughout your one long session?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks for your input guys, it'll save a lot of time doing the one long session, and I will try and figure out how to use playlist.

Home:2013 nMac Pro 3.5 GHz 6 Core Xeon E5, OSX 10.10, 16 GB RAM, UA Apollo Quad Thunderbolt, PT 11.3.1
Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM

PLAYLIST PLAYLIST PLAYLIST PLAYLIST!!!!!! X 1,000,000!!!

Whatever anyone is doing as they read this, if they have not yet learned about and mastered the playlist concept in PT, DO IT NOW. You will be a happy recordist. If you are cooking dinner, turn the stove off. TiVo your TV show. Tell your date to go home. Don't pet that dog!!!

Don't want to overstate it, though......

PC
Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I try to avoid using a click track when I have the band playing together. I get a better result if I let them find their own tempo.
Ouch. That just sounds painful.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 PM

I reply in the spirit of fun and the exchange of ideas. Do whatever makes you happy-

However, if you choose "all" and choose a new playlist, the new song (in a session with a number of songs) is there, ready to go. To navigate between songs, just choose the corresponding playlist. It's too easy. You start each song near the beginning of the time line and you don't need to travel to far reaches of long segments to get from song to song. Think it through.

Maybe you have a better way. I would not be surprised.

Rock on-

PC

Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Rock-n-Roll!!

PC
Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 AM

Import Session gets another vote here.

I like to keep all songs in separate folders. I just try to imagine now how many files would be in the session when using playlists. And then the need to rename every playlist... or switching the playlist on one track by accident... hmmm.... to much chaos for me!

I generally set up one template session, and for every new song, I create a new session and just import these settings. Even though the Import Session function is crippled in LE, it works. In HD it is even more fun, as you can choose a destination track for importing.