Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Issues with v7.2 - Fact or Fiction?

I am on the verge of moving to v7.2. I was hopeful for v7.2cs1, but it appears this is not going to be happening in the immediate future. I base the above statement on the fact that Digidesign made a public commitment to ship a version of Pro Tools v7.2 (v7.2.1?) before October 1 that operates on the Mac Pro. I suspect that their development resources are focused on that effort. I can respect that.

I would like some assistance in separating fact from fiction with regards to v7.2. Searching the DUC, I have found the following threads:

Import Audio from Workspace (Digidesign confirmed this bug, but I would appreciate some clarification. Is it only when importing from the workspace? Does it also include drag-and-drop from other locations? Does it only happen with certain file types?

Missing Files and Relinking (I use mSoft and Soundminer. Is this going to cause me grief?)

Inserted Files Corrupt, Must Import (I use mSoft and Soundminer. Is this going to cause me grief?)

Hard Quit with Destructive Punch (Digidesign mentions it is an issue with XP, but is it confirmed with OS X?)

TL Space TDM and MIDI Controllers (Any comments? Does this occur with v7.2?)

Crash While Entering Text

Counter Cannot Be Changed During Playback if Timeline Insertion Follows Playback is Enabled (Is this an issue, or the way it is with v7.2?)

Losing Markers (Digidesign confirmed this, but is it on the docket for v7.2cs1?)

Control+Command Click on Panner Doesn't Snap Both Panners

MachineControl and V1 (This has the appearance of the infamous Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero bug in v6.4.x. I see it on some systems with v7.1cs8. Does this exist with v7.2?)

Problem Opening v6.4.1 Sessions (We have a plethora of MIX sessions in our library. Is this a confirmed issue?)

MachineControl and Digi Beta Layback (Someone at Digidesign, whose name I will withhold, told me this was a corrupt preferences issue. Is that the case, or is it more serious than that?)

Bounce to QuickTime Results in Mono Soundtrack (QuickTime bouncing is simply sketchy at best with v7.1cs8. Is this issue an issue with v7.2?)

Yes, I know the above list is long. It would be appreciated if Digidesign could respond either stating that the issue is confirmed or not, and whether or not it is on the docket for v7.2cs1. If anyone can think of an issue not in this list, please add a link to the DUC thread outlining it to this thread. I want to move to v7.2, but I do not want to be fielding complaints about problems from nine (9) engineers. I need to know the risk-to-reward ratio with moving to v7.2 so we can make an informed decision.

I am well aware of the significant new features in v7.2. For those, I say thank you to Digidesign.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Issues with v7.2 - Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
I am on the verge of moving to v7.2. I was hopeful for v7.2cs1, but it appears this is not going to be happening in the immediate future. I base the above statement on the fact that Digidesign made a public commitment to ship a version of Pro Tools v7.2 (v7.2.1?) before October 1 that operates on the Mac Pro. I suspect that their development resources are focused on that effort. I can respect that.

I would like some assistance in separating fact from fiction with regards to v7.2. Searching the DUC, I have found the following threads:

Import Audio from Workspace (Digidesign confirmed this bug, but I would appreciate some clarification. Is it only when importing from the workspace? Does it also include drag-and-drop from other locations? Does it only happen with certain file types?

Fact.
The issue is beyond MP3/MP4.
I've had this happen with files downloaded from SoundDogs.com. They were 16/48.WAV interleaved.
However I have been able to drag and drop very large MP3 mono files from WB and save with no problem.
This bug also effects auto backup.
Quote:

Missing Files and Relinking (I use mSoft and Soundminer. Is this going to cause me grief?)

Inserted Files Corrupt, Must Import (I use mSoft and Soundminer. Is this going to cause me grief?)

sorry no help here
Quote:

Hard Quit with Destructive Punch (Digidesign mentions it is an issue with XP, but is it confirmed with OS X?)

Fiction for OSX.
no problem here
OS10.4.6/PT7.2
Quote:

TL Space TDM and MIDI Controllers (Any comments? Does this occur with v7.2?)

sorry, no midi here, ethernet.
Fiction.
no problem here
Fiction.
behaves normally here in both modes.
Quote:

Losing Markers (Digidesign confirmed this, but is it on the docket for v7.2cs1?)

I haven't noticed this but will be on my toes for it.
Hopefully cs1.
Fact.

Quote:

MachineControl and V1 (This has the appearance of the infamous Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero bug in v6.4.x. I see it on some systems with v7.1cs8. Does this exist with v7.2?)

sorry no machine control here.
Quote:

Problem Opening v6.4.1 Sessions (We have a plethora of MIX sessions in our library. Is this a confirmed issue?)

email me if you would like me to verify this for you
[email protected]
Quote:

MachineControl and Digi Beta Layback (Someone at Digidesign, whose name I will withhold, told me this was a corrupt preferences issue. Is that the case, or is it more serious than that?)

no help here
Quote:

Bounce to QuickTime Results in Mono Soundtrack (QuickTime bouncing is simply sketchy at best with v7.1cs8. Is this issue an issue with v7.2?)

Fiction.....
I bounced one yesterday and it rendered stereo, however I have seem some quirky things that I have not been able to reproduce with this version and OS.
[QUOTE]

Let me add two more:
1. If you want to quit PT and launch CoreAudio, COUNT TO 100 before launching CoreAudio after quitting PT.
IF not you will get a Kernel.
This has happened twice to me now.
2. ProControl has two known bugs:
a) Mix / Edit Window defaults the Mix window to full size every time.
b) Edit Groups is flawed. No dialog box comes up for groups.

Quote:

Yes, I know the above list is long. It would be appreciated if Digidesign could respond either stating that the issue is confirmed or not, and whether or not it is on the docket for v7.2cs1. If anyone can think of an issue not in this list, please add a link to the DUC thread outlining it to this thread. I want to move to v7.2, but I do not want to be fielding complaints about problems from nine (9) engineers. I need to know the risk-to-reward ratio with moving to v7.2 so we can make an informed decision.

The risk-reward ratio depends on how busy you are and if the features will enhance your productivity.
I don't have to keep 9 engineers going just myself and another studio I tech for.
The issues I have experienced have not been deal-breakers or have caused me to miss deadlines.
hth
Quote:

I am well aware of the significant new features in v7.2. For those, I say thank you to Digidesign.

Thanks for reading.
word
Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 AM

Hi,

These i can confirm...

Crash whilst entering text! yes i have 3-4 crash logs now, all from the new right click and enter text command. i've had ti give up using this new feature

Maybe related to the above! occasionaly when trying to enter text, querty keyboard will stop the ability to enter text. a reboot, and some a quit will accur.

Dragging and dropping does render the session unable to be saved! using import audio is fine. have this problem with all audio files!!

Control 24 related: edit groups no longer working!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:

RobMacki and Crizdee claim that drag-and-drop of any audio will cause issues, and that it is not limited to the workspace. I can already think of one person who is not going to like this step backwards. Digidesign, is the scope of this as wide as RobMacki and Crizdee claim?
RobMacki says fiction. Crizdee says fact. Perhaps the two of you can trade notes? Maybe this is a European OS issue? Digidesign?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Crah while entering text....NOT fiction. I get this. It then swods and crashes. Very random. But it happens. When naming new track or renaming audio file.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Hard Quit with Destructive Punch (Digidesign mentions it is an issue with XP, but is it confirmed with OS X?)Thanks for reading.
Missing files and re-linking: it's indeed a problem, HOWEVER, I've now noticed that manually linking them back while scanning the COMPLETE drive, does fix it again (you can't just scan a folder anymore, that's another bug)

Hard quits: I was the one that reported it, and have been working with digi to solve the issue. They gave me a few things to try on my end which I haven't yet. And yes, the problem does exist,but according to digi might have something to do with sessions names bigger than 27 chars

Command/Control click Panner issue: is a real issue. Also not being able to quickly control-click to focus the C24 faders to a track is an issue.

-charles
Old 09-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Charles Deenen claims this is fact. He states the workaround is to choose the drive the files are on and do a manual relink. Out of this surfaces what Charles claims to be a bug: Cannot Specify Parent Folder for Relinking Audio Files. Can anyone else state whether this claim is fact or fiction?

Quote:
Charles Deenen claims that according to digi (this) might have something to do with sessions names bigger than 27 chars. This means the alleged workaround is to be cognizant of how long your session names are. I suppose this issue has to be considered NOT fiction for now.

RobMacki says fiction. Crizdee says fact. ZEUSS says NOT fiction. Two (2) out of three (3) is bad in this scenario. I am going to have to consider this NOT fiction. Digidesign?

RobMacki and Charles Deenen claim this is fact.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I use Soundminer, and it's been working fine. I always spot to track in PT, from SM. In fact, it's been the only reliable way to get files into PT7.2 for me. Yesterday I did an "Import Audio", and selected 3 files to convert/import. It appreared to do the import (to region bin), but then I couldn't locate them in the region bin. I had to scan the files into SM & then spot them directly in. Just make sure your SM settings match your session (File Type, SR, and Bits, and choose to convert, not reference original).

Relinking - PT7.2 now writes ID's even when files come in via SM, at least I haven't found a glitch with this. I did have a session that could not find files via the normal relink process (Automatic or manual, by ID, Name, or both). I had to select the files & then search for "All Candidates" to find them, but that then did work. IMO, we STILL need a way to force PT to use a file, because with several releases of PT, I have seen sessions that couldn't relink to certain files by any method.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I use Soundminer, and it's been working fine. I always spot to track in PT, from SM. In fact, it's been the only reliable way to get files into PT7.2 for me. Yesterday I did an "Import Audio", and selected 3 files to convert/import. It appreared to do the import (to region bin), but then I couldn't locate them in the region bin. I had to scan the files into SM & then spot them directly in. Just make sure your SM settings match your session (File Type, SR, and Bits, and choose to convert, not reference original).
This is in contrast to what Charles stated. I suppose I need to consider this NOT fiction. There is no way that our mixers are going to import files into a Soundminer database just to get them into Pro Tools.
Quote:

Relinking - PT7.2 now writes ID's even when files come in via SM, at least I haven't found a glitch with this. I did have a session that could not find files via the normal relink process (Automatic or manual, by ID, Name, or both). I had to select the files & then search for "All Candidates" to find them, but that then did work. IMO, we STILL need a way to force PT to use a file, because with several releases of PT, I have seen sessions that couldn't relink to certain files by any method.
It appears that issues with relinking are NOT fiction. I dread having to confront relinking issues on nine (9) systems.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:30 PM

While we are on it, since this seems to be becoming the exhaustive 7.2 bug thread.

Crizdee says C24 edit groups do not function which is the same for ProControl.
Does the Mix window button default the Mix window to full screen on C24 like it does on ProControl?