Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Default Why Cursor and Transport Counters Suddenly Not Advancing?

I'm referring to PT LE 8.0 for MAC here on this thread, cuz I couldn't find any PT 8 discussion thread anywhere else on this site. But I suspect the two PT versions are not that different between each over that referring to 9 could likely apply to 8 as well, especially as it relates to the problem I state below, and (a) potential way(s) to fix the problem.

The problem:

Suddenly, the transport counter and cursor aren't advancing, even though I hear audio, and I can move my cursor anywhere within the session and start playing (and hearing) the audio from that point-on.

Here's some history that lead up to this anomaly:

1. I had an older unfinished session in PT LE 5.3.1 on a PC using Windows XP. I wanted to import a short movie into it, so I can edit audio to fit the movie. For some reason, that system suddenly can't accept my flash drive to load the movie into that system, let alone that session, even though the flash drive works fine everywhere else.

2. So I made a DVD disk of the entire PT LE 5,.3.1 session. Then created a new session in PT LE 8.0 on a MAC 10.5.8 "Leopard" system, and then imported the 5.3.1 session into it, and relinked it. All the waveforms and plug-ins showed up with no problems. Then I imported the movie (and its audio track) just fine.

3. But suddenly, the transport counter doesn't advance, the cursor doesn't advance in the edit window, and the movie doesn't advance, even though I can hear the audio playing, and I can start playing the audio from anywhere within the session, and the counter shows me wherever I put the cursor.

4. When I try to play the session, even though I can hear the audio advancing, both the green "play" and blue "stop" buttons light up simultaneously, with the play button blinking and the stop button on as a solid blue color, as if the stop bottom is somehow "blocking" the play button.

4. And I also can't record anything. If I try to do that, 4 (above) happens, but also the red record button blinks in addition the the green "play" button.

5. In both instances, the little red (during recording) or black (during playback) cursor marker arrows just above the wave form window are locked together. Separating them only "grays-out" a section of the session, and doesn't solve the problem.

6. All pre-rolls (and post-rolls) are entirely set for zero. Changing those doesn't fix the problem.

7. Changing every possible preference and options I could, one at a time (then changing it back to eliminate more than one variable) didn't fix the problem, either.

8. And to make matters worse, this problem is apparently some kind of global problem that affects all my other previously-created PT-8 sessions that worked fine until this problem developed.

Creating a new PT 8 session has the same problem.

I fear that MAYBE some kind of file is corrupted, but what file, and how can it be fixed?

Can anybody help me figure this out?

Dan Fiebiger
Portland, Oregon, USA.

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Why Cursor and Transport Counters Suddenly Not Advancing?

What OS? Do you have the DV Toolkit? Update graphics driver?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 PM

As I said, it's MAC OS 10.5.8 "Leopard".

I have no idea what a DV Toolkit is. Is that something to find and fix corrupted PT 8.0 files?

Why would I suddenly have to update a graphics driver, when it's a closed system dedicated to PT 8.0 (and Final Cut pro 6) that never gets on the net. And if that WAS the case, I'd have no idea where to go, or how to find the right update, or what to do after finding it.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 AM

The DV Toolkit is an add-on that allows LE8 to also handle video(not sure its possible without the toolkit). Re the graphics driver, I am just trying to think of any reasons for the screen to not react normally. Its also possible that the graphics card is starting to fail, but I am hardly the last word on the Mac side of things Hope you get it sorted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Nevermind.

I managed to fix the problem.

I figured that I had nothing left to loose by experimenting around, so I did just that.

I deleted the whole quicktime movie from PT 8, and everywhere else, on all systems and flash drives.

I went to Final Cut Pro and noticed that one of the two links that linked up the sound with the video wasn't highlighted green, so I highlighted it green, and now both of them were highlighted green. (This has never been an issue with them being on or off in the past.)

Then I created a new QT movie of the shorter version of my film.

Then I noticed that it didn't add the ".mov" to the name I gave it, when it was done creating it, so I added the ".mov" to it manually.

I then was able to import it (back) into PT 8, and this time it worked, and the session played normally, although it still went thru the re-linking process, and then claims that two files are missing, but I can't figure out what's missing, cuz it looks and sounds like it's all there.

So apparently it's now critical to make sure the audio is fully relinked within FCP before making the QT movie, and the ".mov" has to be added (one way or the other, manually if it doesn't automatically do it by itself) before it can be imported.

And I have no idea why any files would be missing at all anyway. I've never had files disappear the many times I've made and imported any other QT movie into either version of PT. But is sounds like it's all there, so go figure.

And it's still saying there's uncompleted tasks when I close it, but I have no idea what those "uncompleted tasks" are, cuz I've done nothing to it besides importing the movie and it's audio track. So go figure again.

And so, I apparently DO have the "DV Toolkit" that you mentioned already, even though I know about it, cuz nobody ever brought that up before.

All the other PT 8 sessions play normally now, also.

I still can't import the exact same movie into the earlier version of the same project in the PC, however. It still crashes the whole system when I try to do that, even with the new version of the QT movie.

But now that PT 8 is working again, I don't need the older version of it.

At least I can resume work on it now.

Much thanx for responding, for your ideas, and for trying to help.

It's appreciated nonetheless.