Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-20-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Re: I am having a problem with recording with my set-up.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase...r.aspx?ID=3865

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I found an answer to my question about how to properly load OS X onto my Mac Book Pro but the above link is to a support page at the Western Digital site.

I describes the process and I am going to try it ... and yes, i will most likely be worried about it the whole time I am trying it. But hey, 'what does not kill you makes you stronger', right?

So the first thing I am going to do is take the 48 oz short handled ball peen hammer out of the house and lock it in the shed, for right now, just ot be safe you know. Then I will start working on the MBP and tell you later it if actually worked.

So until I get back to you, have some fun out there cause you know I will be having some ...

As a side here, I got the 3.5" 500 Gb WD Black Performance drive yesterday afternoon and it loaded up Windows 8 to 8.1 just fine ... imagine that.

It took a while to get all the updates, download, install, restart many times and finally optimize (defragment) the drives but it did it. I am going to load verything else after giving the MBP another chance.

CTG
Old 08-20-2016, 04:46 PM

Well, it truly has been a frustrating afternoon. Just a quick update here ...

1.) Discard the link I left. It does not work.

2.) Everything I've tried, and I tried everything I could think of but none of the work.

3.) I am hoping someone here might have an answer for me.

Still seeking enlightenment ...

CTG
Old 08-20-2016, 05:53 PM

First

You are going about this the wrong way, making it much riskier and just harder for yourself.

Before you touch the insides of your MBP you should have OS X, drivers and apps installed and working on the new drive with it installed in a USB (or Thunderbolt) external caddy or dock. Once everything is tested out and known to work then, and only then, do you swap the drives.

StarTech docks work great e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00KT3BEAS. You need to select the exact dock for the connections available on your Mac.. in your case with a mid 2009 13" MBP it only has USB 2, and will be slow, but that is still a better/safer way to first tackle an install of stuff before trying to swap drives. If you have already swapped drives then just leave it there and follow the instructions for making and using a bootable installer on a USB flash drive below.

Who knows what exactly you are doing wrong, you don't give us a clear description or link to what exact OS X install steps you are following.. the Western Digital instructions are about formatting a drive, that's a tiny step in what you need to do. If formatting a drive as HFS+ does not work then you system or the drive is seriously screwed. So what *exactly* did not work? What *exact* error messages did you get. Nobody can help you if you keep posting fuzzy nonsense. What actual OS X install instructions are you following? Common cause of confusion/probe,s is people running an OS X update when they need to be doing a full clean install of OS X on that disk partition (so you download an installer to the running system/boot disk, run that installer, point it at the installation target partition, not the current partition, and off it goes, or you make a bootable on say a USB Flash drive installer and boot that and point it at the new partition... which of those are you doing?). or trying to install OS X versions that are not supported on their hardware.

Worse case make a bootable installer on a USB Flash stick, boot to that on the Mac and then install that to the drive in the external dock (be careful not to install it to the existing drive). Start here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-20-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM

Darryl Ramm,

I am trying to install the original OS x 10.5.7 that came with my MBP. I finally was able to get it to install it. But I had to partition the disc to the original Hitachi 320 Gb drive 5400 rpm internal drive. From there I have been able to update it to 10.5.8. From there I figured I could then update it to Snow Leopard which I think is 10.6.x. I bought this disc when Snow Leopard came out.

Since I had to once reload everything a couple of years before this once and nothing went wrong at that time, I figured it would be the easy route to go. You know a new install of everything. However, this was not the case and I have stood, sat, paced and sat in front of my MBP the whole time. I have sent error reports to Apple when they have come up, but usually I just get, "An Error has occurred restart and use the disc utilities to repair the disc then restart and install."

I have went back more than once and did this. Repair, Verify and both Verify and Repair Permissions. The install would then start, go to the point were it was close to finishing ... i.e. the 17 to 7 minute mark on the install page, then abruptly stop go to the color of my opening screen and either give me the "Message" again and sometimes the error report but it did not go there every time just after I was trying to install Snow Leopard. Oh, and the error page was pretty long and did not know if it would help by sending it here. Obviously a mistake.

But I am now tapping out this message on my MBP with just Leopard 10.5.8 installed on the new WD drive so I could communicate with people here. I have been to this point several times before, but each time I go beyond this stage it does and will not install past this point and usually just gives the "Message".

I have saw the adapters you are talking about and the small desktop devices you speak of but I have only looked at them, why, because I though "I have the discs I need, they have all worked before, I know it is the long way to do it but it is what I have on hand right now. So it is what I went with.

As a side here, I have been building my own PCs and using Pro Tools since the Digi 002 came out. I have used this system with the MBP since 2009, never had major any problems I could not figure out with it till recently. Everything changed when after I updated to PT 11. So this is why I came here for help. If you left me know exactly what it is I need to send you to help figure this out I am all ears.

Now, I know you do not know this but I am recovering from a serious illness that kept me down for almost three years and money for me is a bit tight. I do not know what means are but I have had to go on disability because of this and will not be able to work my normal job of working in a steel service center as a 'Burner'. I worked on a 15' X 85' CNC cutting machine using six torches and natural gas and oxygen cutting hot rolled steel plate from a 1/4" to 7" thick into any thing shape you can draw with your finger. Unfortunately 15 years of this ruined my neck back and major joints and I am trying to make my advocation, my job because after I was laid off in March of 2009 I have never been able to pass a physical to get another job like I had and am now to old to get the entry level jobs. So I was not prepared for this to happen and my illness pretty much wiped out any saving I had. So yeah, things are tough.

But I have been playing, performing, writing recording, producing, teaching and most any other thing you can do in the local music scene since 1967 when I started with my fist real band in high school. I have been to college, Music Theory/Composition and Recording Arts (3.5 year 3.8 GPA) and Tech Services (1 year 3.9 GPA) and have been on a couple of short tours with people as an musician and an engineer.

That being said, I now have problems playing any instruments and I was classically trained on six different instruments. The reason is I have too much root nerve damage in my spine and neck and what does the rest is arthritis every where and disc disease does. But I have 5800 watt 32 channel digital live sound/record system, a remote record system with higher end pres and outboard gear and a home system. Which I still can work and I want to make my job to have enough to live on with SSDI and then SSA in two years when I turn 65.

So now that you know the full story is there anything I can send you to help. I am going to use the link in your reply about the USB drive cause I have a couple of those around the house here the biggest being a 32 GB. So I will look back here later to see what you sent to lend a had and thanks for your reply for I know you are trying to help and i want to help you help me ... if that is possible.

Till then, try and have some fun out there today, you know I will ben trying ... Thanks again,

CTG
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

The Cruel Truth,

Well me friends, if there is a moral to this story ... well, tell me because I cannot find it.

First off the Rack Mount PC, 3.0Gb Core2 Quad, 8 Gb RAM, Nvida Card, 3 drive swappable SATA bay and a CD/DVD disc writer using Window 8.1 with the following additional software; Pro Tools 9.0.6, Waves Platinum/API/Tune, Uuniversal Audio PCi UAD-2 Quad, EMU Emulator X2, SampleTank 2.5 and CD Architect; using a Behringer X-32 as the interface going through JBL Control 1s, Peavey 308 w/Orange County Speakers and SonaDyne 2.1 monitors is working but I need a bit more practice on it to get it get.

The 13" Apple Mac Book Pro, a Mid 2009 build, 2.53 Gb Core 2 Duo, 8 Gb RAM, 320 Gb Hitachi 5400 rpm HD and a Superdrive. Is back together in its' original form. I for some reason or another could not get pass OS X 10.5.8 nor could I load or update to OS X 10.6.0 from the CD I bought in January 2010.

The only solution which may have a chance of working in the cloning method which was suggested by Darryl Ramm.

It took me a while top find a computer shoop that would do it and then the cheapest to do it was $40.00 and I had to leave my drives there for at least 48 to 60 hrs before it would be done.

Since then I have found 'Alternative Cloning" aparadi. They range from simple SATA connector to USB/Firewire/Thuderbolt connectors. The range in price from around $6.00 at the low and up to about $30.00 depending on what you get with it.

The other competing device is and cloning dock. It can either clone a drive placed in the device that is connected to a computer or you can place both drive in the device and it will clone one to other. most come with options for 3.5" drives and 2.5 drives either the same or mixed in the unit. Pricing here starts at about
$35.00 and goes up with most consumer use models being around $60.00 to
$100.00.

It is something I am going to have to decide on what to do here next month, so we will, see what happens.

It is time to get back to learning-up my new set-up real good so I can started on a couple of small projects I have here now. More, when "It" happens and how it all works out in the end is an on going saga for right now.

All I can say now is, "Try and have some fun out there today because not only do you most likely deserve some, but you know I am going be trying to do so, too.

CTG
Old 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

Iam happy to say that I have got one of the computers back up and running beautifully, so far. It is a self built Core 2 Quad 3.0 G processor, 8 Gb of Ram, a WD Raptor 180 Gb drive, Seagate 250Gb 7.2 K rpm Barracuda drive and the new WD 500 Gb 7.2 K rpmBlack Preformance drive. This drive seems to have made all the difference in the performance of this machine.

Before installing and setting up the drive, I could barely get anything to run on Pro Tools. Now, Ihave been able to get my X-32 to work with it as it always should have when I got it. Because I could never get anything to run before this I did not know if I had done something wrong, there was something wrong with the programing or an equipment problem. Unfortunately, I was looking in completely the wrong area for about 16 months. It just shows I should have come here a lot sooner, heh?

As for my Mac Book Pro, I am going to have to wait for a couple weeks to get it up and running. I am going to get a SATA to USB adapter, find a cloning program and do it that way. It seems to be the only true choice for this problem. but more on that when I get and use it.

Once again thanks for all the help and the end is in sight ... well at least I can meet my obligations I have to do and get some more work in.

Till I the piece in to work on the MBP, all I can say is have some fun outthere today, you most likely deserve some and besides you know I will be trying, too ...

CTG
Old 06-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Okay everyone, here is the big update to all these questions with hard drives.

The MacBook Pro I have is a mid 2009 13" model. It has a very specific hard drive specs and I was never able to get the WD Black 2.5" 500 Gb drive to work properly at all, ever. I have to get a drive that matches the specs of this MBP.

So I removed it and had to install the original hard drive to be able to use this to go on the internet and my other home/school uses.

As for my PC, everything worked great until just about a month ago. One of my four 250 Gb Seagate Barracuda drives failed. I use two as back-ups.

At that time I decided to update this machine to Windows 8 and PT 10. But I could not get everything to run smoothly. So since PT 9 was running well before the hard drive crash, I decided to reinstall that version of PT to it.

I have not been able to run a session since I reinstalled everything after running Dirk's Boot and Nuke to erase the WD Black drive. The problem I am having is in another thread I started titled "ASIO Priorties, X32, Windows 7.1 and Pro Tools 9.0.6" becuase of this problem. I hope I get answer to this conundrum. And yeah, I was right in the middle of another job, too.

But to close here, I would like to "Thank" all who commented and for the valuable advise I recieved at that time to get up and running ... BUT mostly I wanted to let you know the out come of this thread.

OH YEAH ... I had another thread of using the X32 as an controller with Pro Tools. And, No ... I still haven't been able to get that to work either but it wasn't necessary for any of the work I had picked up then or now.

Other than this new quirk, the X32 is a wonderful board that I set up as a 16 X 16 console which allows me to track, set-up multiple and custom returns from the card to use as fold back, sub mixes and it makes quick work of set-ups to isolate things for tweaking, routing to outboard effects or other processors. I believe I have only really scratched the surface of its' capabilities. So I have no complaints with it per say, I just want to get working again with PT.

Once again thanks, any this is a closed thread to me

Crooked Tour Guy (John A. B.)