Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Default Do I need a microphone amplifier when I use mbox

hi guys, I am a starter, and just wonder if I need connect my mic to amicrophone amplifier, when to my mbox? thanks a lot!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Do I need a microphone amplifier when I use mbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessles79 View Post
hi guys, I am a starter, and just wonder if I need connect my mic to amicrophone amplifier, when to my mbox? thanks a lot!
The Mbox'es have built in mic premps (aka pre-amplifiers, what you mean when you say amplifier), different numbers depending on the model. What exact model Mbox do you have? 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation? Mbox, Mbox Mini or Mbox Pro? Microphone inputs are all clearly explained in the product manuals, which are all on Avid's web site.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Good advice above. The stock preamp on the Mbox is totally fine for you to get started on. Skill and experience will get you a lot farther than some expensive mic preamp

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Mbox'es have built in mic premps (aka pre-amplifiers, what you mean when you say amplifier), different numbers depending on the model. What exact model Mbox do you have? 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation? Mbox, Mbox Mini or Mbox Pro? Microphone inputs are all clearly explained in the product manuals, which are all on Avid's web site.
My device is Mbox2 Mini
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Ok, so your Input 1 is either Mic/Line/DI or Input 2 is Line/DI. If you have a single microphone just plug it into the Input 1 XLR and select the Mic input and adjust the preamp gain for best sound. If you need a second mic you will need to use an outboard Mic preamp. Newer Mboxes (esp. the Mbox 3 Pro have better preamps and converters but the time any of this is a serious limit to you you'll probably want a higher-end interface for lots of reasons.

Darryl
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Thank you Darryl! Now I get it, my mbox2 mini has onboard preamp, for input 1. If I still wanna connect mic to preamp, then to Mbox2 mini input 1, will that sound differently, or cause device damage?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessles79 View Post
Thank you Darryl! Now I get it, my mbox2 mini has onboard preamp, for input 1. If I still wanna connect mic to preamp, then to Mbox2 mini input 1, will that sound differently, or cause device damage?
It won't cause damage but the standard way to connect your preamp is into the Line/DI input jacks.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
yo i really need help please email me at [email protected]