Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Bouncing PTLE sessions to .wav file help!

I can bounce to audio....no problemo....I tried to do the same w/.wav unsucessfully. Can someone please help!
Old 10-22-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Bouncing PTLE sessions to .wav file help!

Somebody please! I have checked the manual and could not find anything. Help!
Old 10-22-2002, 03:22 PM

You could bounce to aiff or sound designer II and then convert the file to wave format in another application.

soundApp is a good sample converter. It's free too.

I'm assuming it's an issue with protools' way of handling wave files that make bouncing directly to wave a problem. I always use sd2 or aiff format myself so I've never noticed.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:05 PM

If you're not doing so, choose the "Convert after bounce" in the bounce dialog window. This should reduce the load on CPU during the bounce as WAV is not really "as native" as AIFF on Mac.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:39 AM

Ok, I am a little confused [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] What I attempted to do was bounce a session to disk as usual except instead of using SDII I selected .wav. It all seemed to work fine when I did it...I created a folder for .wav files and bounced a few sessions. I then tried to drag & drop the .wav files to itunes to burn to disk(probably where I went wrong) but itunes would not accept the files. This all new to me so please excuse my ignorance....please help!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:54 AM

Why would you make .wav files for itunes?
No need. IT sounds like PRo tools did what you asked it to do. Itunes seemed to drop the ball.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chompers:
Why would you make .wav files for itunes?
No need. IT sounds like PRo tools did what you asked it to do. Itunes seemed to drop the ball.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just the man I need to speak to.....what should I do? itunes works fine when I bounce SDII audio but when I drag & drop the .Wav's it just wouldnt accept it.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:23 AM

Blazin -

It might help us if we understood why you are bouncing first to .WAV ?

The only reason I can think of is compatibility between your Mac and a PC. If in fact you have no reason to go to PC with any of this "audio data", then stay in the formats that are "native" to Mac.

Ie. -

.AIFF - Native raw audio format for Mac
.SDII - Native to PTLE (from Sound Designer days, its an older app from Digidesign, pre Pro Tools)
.WAV - Native raw audio format for PC(wintel). This is the Microsoft equivalent to .AIFF.

Hope that helps, if not, explain why you need to bounce first to .WAV, and then burn to CD via iTunes.

Best Regards,
Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Electric Trombone:
[QB]Blazin -

It might help us if we understood why you are bouncing first to .WAV ?

The only reason I can think of is compatibility between your Mac and a PC. If in fact you have no reason to go to PC with any of this "audio data", then stay in the formats that are "native" to Mac.

Ie. -

.AIFF - Native raw audio format for Mac
.SDII - Native to PTLE (from Sound Designer days, its an older app from Digidesign, pre Pro Tools)
.WAV - Native raw audio format for PC(wintel). This is the Microsoft equivalent to .AIFF.

Hope that helps, if not, explain why you need to bounce first to .WAV, and then burn to CD via iTunes.

You got it....I am bouncing to .wav to use my trax in a friends PC where they would like to do the vocals. I am approaching this bassackwards?
Old 10-23-2002, 02:01 PM

FWIW it's important to realize that .wav is now the standard file format for all professional audio applications on ALL platforms.

AIFF and SD-II support will probably be around on the Mac for a few more years but when we hand an audio file off to somebody else in the future, they'll be expecting to see a .wav that they can load into ANY system.