Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2022, 10:49 AM

Default CueMix & MOTU 828 MKIII Issues, Pls Help!

Hi guys,

I’m using CueMix with my MOTU 828 mkiii (& MOTU 8 Pre), to record drums into Pro Tools. I’m finding that the CueMix mixer setup is EXTREMELY complicated and unintuitive. It has so many mixes and you have to mute unused tracks otherwise you get signal in Pro Tools coming through several tracks when you only have one track’s input monitoring on, as an example. It’s turned into a headache to use it.

Is there any way to bypass the CueMix mixer settings and simply use a combination of the knobs on the actual MOTU audio interface itself, along with the knobs in Pro Tools itself, to set the settings of each track?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2022, 12:31 PM

Default Re: CueMix & MOTU 828 MKIII Issues, Pls Help!

I've got the same unit, and yes, it has a bit of a learning curve.

Good news is you can access every single parameter from CueMix from the front panel. Which is great, since mine has been relegated to an adat I/O so its not even directly connected to my computer anymore.

It takes a bit of menu diving, and repetitive volume/mute moves to get it setup how you need, but then its good to go.

Sounds like first step would be to make sure all inputs are muted to the main L/R out.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:22 PM

Default Re: CueMix & MOTU 828 MKIII Issues, Pls Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Productions View Post
I've got the same unit, and yes, it has a bit of a learning curve.

Good news is you can access every single parameter from CueMix from the front panel. Which is great, since mine has been relegated to an adat I/O so its not even directly connected to my computer anymore.

It takes a bit of menu diving, and repetitive volume/mute moves to get it setup how you need, but then its good to go.

Sounds like first step would be to make sure all inputs are muted to the main L/R out.
Thank you. I’m not so technical so I’m getting real lost when recording drum kit with close mics. I was hoping there might be a DAW mode or something to bypass the confusing CueMix mixer. Then I wouldn’t have to deal with muting and dealing with multiple unnecessary mix setups, I could just use Pro Tools and the 828 interfaces to adjust settings and work with gain staging, etc.

Not sure if there even is such a DAW mode on this thing?