Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM

Default Yamaha TF1 mixing console as audio interface?

Hello everybody.
I am new to the Mac forum, have used PTLE 6.4 for windows ten years ago and must renew my experience.

My question is as follows (have not found anything by the search on this device):

Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha TF1 mixing console in conjunction with PTLE? It has AD/DA converters, connects to the computer by USB and has compressor/limiters built in for neat recording.

I read somewhere that there may be compatibility issues with Yamaha when using the system extendedly. In what cases will this be a problem (hope the question is not too big to answer). Please share your opinion/experiences/knowledge about this device

So far, hope I don't ask an impossible question here.

Thanks in advance and see you all later on
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Yamaha TF1 mixing console as audio interface?

I filled in my rig specs in my profile while registering but it doesn't automatically show up. See what I can do about that, hmmm....
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Macbook Pro 15"
2,5 GHz quadcore Intel core i7
16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256 Gb PCIe flash storage
Intel Iris Pro graphics
Force Touch trackpad
Enlightened keyboard
Accessorykit
PTLE 12
Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 AM

In looking at the product, it seems like it could work in basic fashion.

The only issue with these live consoles that also allow recording, is that you're paying for a lot of extra stuff that you won't really use in the studio. For the amount that this costs, you could get a really nice audio interface that's designed specifically for recording in the studio, as opposed to a live sound console that adds recording as one of many features.

Also be aware that Protools has a limit of 32 i/o, regardless of how many inputs are on this console.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Thank you nst7

That is something to consider but I keep the possibility open to record live sessions. But at least it's a decent product.

I consider this device because of its inbuilt comps/eq plus you have preamps & ADDA converters alltogether. Will cost around $2500 exc VAT.

Now let's hope it gives full bang for the buck.

Thank you very much. I hope I will get some more perspectives on this but your reply is a good start. I'm yielding to buy this one but if anyone rings alarmbells I'll be taking a second look.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Did some more research. For those who want to know:

The Yamaha TF1's AD/DA converters can be compared to those of the old Alesis HD24 which is quite allright. The comps/eq's are not as good as you would want for a really high quality recording. I've been told that Yamaha always performs quite well, no significant problems but never outstanding as well.

So I looked at the Metric Halo ULN8 which has 8 high quality mic preamps, 8 analog line in channels and a couple of additional digital ins. The quality of the sound is outstanding and terrific according to the salesman I spoke to and according to the reviews I read. Inbuilt mixer and high quality DSP chip able to run a couple of plugins in case you want to alter the signal (comps/eq's).

I dropped the idea of live recording.

This is not to advertise the ULN8 but I have reason to believe this is a better solution for studio recording than the TF1. The price is accordingly higher; 2850 exc. VAT.

Thank you guys for reading this thread and chip in if you have any additional remarks.

Walther.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallie View Post
Thank you nst7

That is something to consider but I keep the possibility open to record live sessions. But at least it's a decent product.

I consider this device because of its inbuilt comps/eq plus you have preamps & ADDA converters alltogether. Will cost around $2500 exc VAT.

Now let's hope it gives full bang for the buck.

Thank you very much. I hope I will get some more perspectives on this but your reply is a good start. I'm yielding to buy this one but if anyone rings alarmbells I'll be taking a second look.

Unless you *need* the live mixing (and/or monitoring) features I would go for a mainstream audio interface like a Apogee Ensemble or UAD Apollo 8p. If you primarily want a live digital mixer and happen to want to also record though it the Yamaha looks fantastic.

There is no more "Pro Tools LE". There is Pro Tools (which replaced LE) and Pro Tools HD.

The compressors and EQ etc. on the Yamaha won't be any better than what you can do through Pro Tools and unless you are using that for live monitoring/PA not any point anyhow since you'll likely be better off not committing any of that at record time. And you can't record the direct out on a channel and the wet out at the same time (but sure record direct out on a channel and use the channel processing for monitoring).

Things to consider with interfaces are the monitoring options, playback buffer size performance and latency (of you are going to monitor through Pro Tools -- Thunderbolt based interfaces will blow USB 2 out of the water there... but that may not be relevant to you.

Do not be suckered into thinking you are getting anything like a Digidesign 003 Console. The motorized faders on the Yamaha will not work with Pro Tools, it can't be a used as a Pro Tools control surface like a Digidesign 003 console can.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Unless you *need* the live mixing (and/or monitoring) features I would go for a mainstream audio interface like a Apogee Ensemble or UAD Apollo 8p. If you primarily want a live digital mixer and happen to want to also record though it the Yamaha looks fantastic.

There is no more "Pro Tools LE". There is Pro Tools (which replaced LE) and Pro Tools HD.

The compressors and EQ etc. on the Yamaha won't be any better than what you can do through Pro Tools and unless you are using that for live monitoring/PA not any point anyhow since you'll likely be better off not committing any of that at record time. And you can't record the direct out on a channel and the wet out at the same time (but sure record direct out on a channel and use the channel processing for monitoring).

Things to consider with interfaces are the monitoring options, playback buffer size performance and latency (of you are going to monitor through Pro Tools -- Thunderbolt based interfaces will blow USB 2 out of the water there... but that may not be relevant to you.

Do not be suckered into thinking you are getting anything like a Digidesign 003 Console. The motorized faders on the Yamaha will not work with Pro Tools, it can't be a used as a Pro Tools control surface like a Digidesign 003 console can.
Well I really dropped the idea of live recording so I don't need to pay for facilties concerning that as nst7 said.

The plugins that I can run on the ULN8 are lots better than the eq's/comps of Pro Tools, run latency-free and are specifically programmed for this device. The quality is miles and miles better than the fx's on the TF1 also.

I have no illusions about PT fader control. Thinking I pay all the mo' for the features the Metric Halo gives and not for anything else so the quality goes where I want it (I admit I haven't listened to the machine yet but I trust the info I got). The fader control doesn't matter to me.

Low latency with the ULN8, neglectable.

Ok so no more PTLE, thanks for straighting that out. Obviously a lot has changed since I used the 001 w/PTLE6.4

I admit I am not researching as thoroughly as I should but I have a very reliable shop selling only high end gear plus I read some reviews. I also admit I must do more research by myself in the future 'cause you guys provide me with answers I could have found myself if I'd read enough but I don't have so much knowledge yet.

Thank you Darryl Ramm. Especially your thoughts on latency and monitoring are valuable to me and I will dive more into that before I purchase the ULN8. But I think it won't be a real issue considering my computer and the interface.

Peace out...