Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Okay I done it...HD9 upgrade & Eleven.

Okay so I have HD and there's the whole mini drama of HD guys not loving this update but if you have PTLE...this is a no brainer, just do it.

I have HD on a first generation Mac Pro and also Eleven Rack hooked up to it. PTHD9 works great of course but then I switched the Audio Engine over to Eleven Rack where the thing is running Native without the HD Cards(you lose your TDM plugs obviously)...triple duplicated my session which turned out be about 160 tracks of Audio & Auxes and it ran off the Eleven Engine pretty well. I did have to bump up the buffer at that point but I wasn't recording. Then I went back to the original session which has a ton of RTAS plugs on it and recorded a track...I had to bump the Buffer up from 64 to 128 but it was fine. Then I switched over to the built in Mac Output and listened to the session.

All that's pretty cool. Okay I'm not losing HD to go totally Native but it seems to work pretty damn well and that's even with USB. I guess I'll go download PT9 on my Windows 7 Laptop and pull out the freaking iLok and give it a go.

That's my story.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Okay I done it...HD9 upgrade & Eleven.

so wait....plugging in a non "HD" interface renders HD accel cards useless...WOAH!!!

please tell me this isn't true and you only disabled them as a test
Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriM View Post
so wait....plugging in a non "HD" interface renders HD accel cards useless...WOAH!!!

please tell me this isn't true and you only disabled them as a test

No, only if you switch the Audio Engine I'm assuming....I can use HD with Eleven of course but I switched the PTHD Engine over to Eleven just to see how it worked...and also if you want to use all the reamping stuff in Eleven I suppose, like changing the Eleven Sounds after you record dry & direct, just guessing there. I never do that anyway.

but back to the question, no I disabled them on purpose because I wanted to see how PT9 ran on a Mac Pro using Eleven Rack as the Engine...no HD cards.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
No, only if you switch the Audio Engine I'm assuming....I can use HD with Eleven of course but I switched the PTHD Engine over to Eleven just to see how it worked...and also if you want to use all the reamping stuff in Eleven I suppose, like changing the Eleven Sounds after you record dry & direct, just guessing there. I never do that anyway.

but back to the question, no I disabled them on purpose because I wanted to see how PT9 ran on a Mac Pro using Eleven Rack as the Engine...no HD cards.
gotcha....thanks for that information...I have considered adding an ELEVEN rack to my TDM system...so I am glad to know it works out
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM

ACmost,

What kind of computer are you using that gave you that impressive performance with the Eleven Rack?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Okay so I have HD and there's the whole mini drama of HD guys not loving this update but if you have PTLE...this is a no brainer, just do it.

I have HD on a first generation Mac Pro and also Eleven Rack hooked up to it. PTHD9 works great of course but then I switched the Audio Engine over to Eleven Rack where the thing is running Native without the HD Cards(you lose your TDM plugs obviously)...triple duplicated my session which turned out be about 160 tracks of Audio & Auxes and it ran off the Eleven Engine pretty well. I did have to bump up the buffer at that point but I wasn't recording. Then I went back to the original session which has a ton of RTAS plugs on it and recorded a track...I had to bump the Buffer up from 64 to 128 but it was fine. Then I switched over to the built in Mac Output and listened to the session.

All that's pretty cool. Okay I'm not losing HD to go totally Native but it seems to work pretty damn well and that's even with USB. I guess I'll go download PT9 on my Windows 7 Laptop and pull out the freaking iLok and give it a go.

That's my story.
Uhhh...so later that day, dang I hate Pro Tools installs on PC. Remember... when the Eleven Firmware Updater says, can't find drivers they don't really mean that. Click on the greyed out area anyway. :) Anyway after I got the
firmware right & the correct Eleven I/O finally showed up, all is well. The minimum Buffer size on this Dual Core sumthin sumthin HP Laptop is 128, 64 on the Mac Pro. It all works anyway. Pretty cool to watch it play back a session with no hardware attached or to hit record and actually record audio through the cheezy little onboard mic with a gazillion samples of delay, still it works. Of course Nuendo could do this 10 years ago but that's another story.

I probably won't use PT on this laptop much but I just wanted to see it really work with just the iLok attached...and it does. Butchering the iLok scares me some, it's about half bent as is.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
ACmost,

What kind of computer are you using that gave you that impressive performance with the Eleven Rack?
Hi, it's a Quad 2.66...the first breed of them. I don't remember the processor name. There's probably a honeymooon period going on. I don't even love Eleven Rack...it works though. I did open a bunch of tracks with it & recorded. I probably won't use the Eleven Engine much either but I just wanted to see how it performed without the HD cards. I don't see myself losing HD, it works too dang well and Native is Native, there's going to be the occasional buffer glitch but PT9 seems to work really well in Nativeland.

LE to PT9 upgraders got a hell of a deal.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM

WHy would you lower the buffer size on PT to 64 or 128 when recording with the Eleven Rack??
Just enable Low Latency Monitoring.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprodux View Post
WHy would you lower the buffer size on PT to 64 or 128 when recording with the Eleven Rack??
Just enable Low Latency Monitoring.

Well it had been awhile since I had used Low Latency...but as I was remnded today it shuts your RTAS plugs off, sends included if you put an RTAS Verb or Delay on an aux that is.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM

the more great things I hear the more I wanted it. I was actually going to get a Macbook Pro with Digi 002 and Pro Tools 8... and later on get the necessary Mics and BLA Modification. But when I was reading about Pro Tools 9 I just completely rerouted my purchasing plan. I am now going to get a windows 7 core 2 duo laptop, 64 bit system with pro tools 9 in full. I have an mbox 2 but the deal is it's my friend so I can't really be snagging his crossgrade option lol. With that being said I will then get a better interface with firewire ports either from Focusrite or Motu.

I hear tons of awesome things about the higher end MOTU interfaces but the Focusrite is just more in my price range. Glad to hear Eleven did well in performace, the mbox 2's and any USB 2.0 interface at that matter should compare fairly well.