Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2000, 07:45 AM

Default Waking G4 up from sleep

I have no problem making my G4 go to sleep. But when it comes to waking it up I can't without having to reboot the whole system.
I've tried hitting the enter key as well as the start button at the top right on the keyboard. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the assistance.

macguy
Old 12-04-2000, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Waking G4 up from sleep

Seconding the practical suggestion of avoiding sleep: Although PT appeared to have no trouble with my G4's sleep mode, the addition of MOTU USB/MIDI interface to the system rendered the MOTO piece (and all MIDI devices there attached) invisible once sleep was entered. Reboot was needed to rectify...Awake at the wheel it is!
Old 12-05-2000, 12:54 AM

Digidesign specifies that you never use sleep mode, and have it set to "never" in the Energy Saver control panel.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-05-2000, 07:30 AM

So the next question is....do you just leave your systems on all the time but turn your monitors off and on when needed? I would like to avoid turning the system on and off all the time.

Is it best to just to leave everything on all the time.

Thoughts?

macguy
Old 12-05-2000, 08:38 AM

I leave my G4 and G3 on all day and only shut them down at night - sometimes they stay on all night as well. I have a screen saver (Dark Side) installed which is set to only go on manually by a keystroke. If I’m going to be away awhile, I’ll quit ProTools and activate the screen saver. Problems will occur if I activate it while ProTools is running.

The problem with the Energy Saver sleep mode is your Mac looses it’s connection with the Digi hardware whether PT is running or not, and only a restart fixes this. The screen saver only affects your monitor so this won’t happen. I have read with today’s new monitors you don’t really need a screen saver, but I still use one anyway - old habits...

Leaving the computer on is not as hard on it as the booting-up process, however, restarts can help reset the memory allocation if things seem to be getting bogged down. My first Mac Plus was left on 24hrs a day (only restarts-no shut downs) for six years without a problem!

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-05-2000, 04:32 PM

Be kind to the earth and don't waste all that energy! Turning these machines off when you finish your working day is not going to be a tremendous strain on them. I've done this on all the Macs I've ever owned, and I haven't had one fail yet. If you want to do something to extend your machine life, make sure they all operate in a cool environment. Don't bottle them up in a sound-proof box where the temperatures really soar.

BTW, in the old days, people liked to keep HD's on because of thermal recalibration issues. With modern hard drives (using embedded servos), however, this is no longer an issue.

Turn that stuff off when you're not using it, and help stop global warming.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-05-2000, 05:44 PM

Good point, but if less boot-ups does extend the life of your Mac, then that’s less computers being tossed into the land fills. I do agree it will be difficult to use our computers if we’ve got no planet to plug them into.

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-06-2000, 11:16 AM

It's nice to see such a conscious group of audio/mac heads out there.
Keep it up.
Old 12-07-2000, 09:44 AM

I have seen this sleep problem with certain 3rd party USB devices (and their drivers) such as the MOTU Micro Express MIDI interface and Imation Superdrives. Try unplugging the USB devices before putting the computer to sleep. If that doesn't work, try disabling their drivers.
Visit the websites for those products to see if they have released any updated drivers that address this problem.

And finally, although they are cool, Monitors (for the Mac anyway)
havn't needed screen savers or sleep for a few years now.