Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 03:31 PM

Default click track question

hey everyone! i am a new to pro tools, and i am probably really stupid for having to ask this question, but i can't seem to make a click track... can i make an audible click track on pro tools, or do i have to buy a seperate program for that... i looked in the manual and did what it said, but i couldn't create one that i could see or hear...

HELP!

thanks,

Joel
Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: click track question

You make an aux track

you instantiate the Click plug-in on one of its inserts.

You immediately choose MPC click from the click plug-in's preset menu, because it's fairly close to the beloved UrEi 964. (if you want a real Urei preset for Click, let me know)

You make sure your transport window has the metronome button enabled (blue)

you play back and it will follow the tempo of your session. For a single tempo, you don't need to use the Conductor, just choose a tempo in the Transport. For tempo changes, use the conductor and set up your tempo changes using the MIDI time tools.

Still don't hear it?

Check your output routing.

Route your outputs to an audio track to record it.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM

Hi Joel,

That's all good, plus, you might shcek the following too:

Make sure that click is checked in the pull down menu. I think it's in operations now if you're using 7.0 or higher, but I forget without being in front of the machine. You'll see it though in one of the pull down menus in the top middle or top middle right of the screen. If you are using PT 6.? or under then it's in the Midi menu. Also, have and midi thru checked (I think, but I have forgotten regarding that one). This is important though,,,Double click on the metrenome in your transport window and select "click during record and playback" or you may still not hear it. Make sure that "wait for note is not checked in the transport window as well.

You can also use almost any type of track, mono, aux, stereo audio. TDM or RTAS plug-in versions. Some take less dsp tht's all. I think Dan is right about using an Aux track as a first choice. I think it takes less DSP but I use anything if I have no worries about plug-in usage levels, and like Dan also said, make sure that your output routing is correct, and that nothin is solo'd.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks guys! ... it works... ok this is the first recording program i have ever used, and once you know what to do it's easy enough, but figuring it out at first is hard since i've never done it before.

thanks so much!

joel