Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM

Default SIgnal ROuting

I just recently got Pro-Tools. However I am not new to it, I have used it before. I am running LE on an iBook. THe operating system is Tiger. I am having some problems signal routing. I am trying to use an aux track as a sum track. I am setting all of my individual track outputs to the same bus that is the input for the aux tack. I have made sure that nothing is muted and all of that stuff. I havn't even been able to get signal to an aux track using it as a send. Is this a known problem or am I mising something completely. Again, I have made sure that the volume on the send is turned up and nothing is muted. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: SIgnal ROuting

What is the output for the aux channel? Set it to your main outs for starters. There is no problem with this setup, it's integral to mixing, creating submixes and such. You're missing something.

One thing I don't like about PT is that if you solo an aux send that is serving as a submix for several channels, nothing comes out. To me, it would be logical that all the instruments going to that aux send should be solo'd. Instead you have to solo the aux send AND each channel.

Keep fiddling with it.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:

One thing I don't like about PT is that if you solo an aux send that is serving as a submix for several channels, nothing comes out. To me, it would be logical that all the instruments going to that aux send should be solo'd. Instead you have to solo the aux send AND each channel.
You should solo safe the aux track so that it doesn't mute when any other track is soloed. In the PT Reference Guide, that's on page 108.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:55 AM

Quote:
You should solo safe the aux track so that it doesn't mute when any other track is soloed. In the PT Reference Guide, that's on page 108.
I think the original poster is referring to soloing an aux, not a regular audio track...

... however, your tip could still be applied, by applying solo-safe to *all* the tracks feeding the aux.

Cool.

Cheers.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 AM

Technically you're right, but that's not very practical. If you have audio tracks solo safed then they won't mute as you'd want them to when you solo another track. Then, any pre or post fader sends you have feeding reverbs would still be receiving signal from the track which would cause the infamous "ghosting" sound of tracks you wanted to go away when you soloed something else.

As for the original poster's question, I'm not really sure what he's missing because he seems fairly sure about what he's doing. He's apparently missing SOMETHING because what he's describing is something I do about 100 times a day, so there's no issue. So in an effort to help him out, here's what I'd advise:

1. Take all of your audio tracks and assign them to the main outputs and verify that you can hear them properly when assigned that way.

2. After you've verified that everything is playing from step 1, create a stereo aux input track. I usually put a sub-group master like this adjacent to the tracks that are feeding it, but that's not a requirement to get it to work.

3. Assign the input of the aux track to an available pair of busses. Make sure this track's fader is set to unity gain (0.0dB) to start with. Also make sure it's not muted and that its assigned to the main output. You may choose to follow my advise above on solo safing the aux track too

4. Now on the output of the audio tracks you want to sub-group down, assign their outputs to that same set of busses.

(for example, if you assigned the input of the aux track to bus 9-10, you'll assign the outputs of the audio tracks to bus 9-10)

5. Give it a try.

The use of the term "using it as a send" is probably due to a lack of experience and understanding that an aux track is only related to a send when it's used as a return track for an additive effect. The type of configuration he was describing is where the signal is being re-routed thru a fader where you'll have control authority over the summed volume of the tracks feeding the aux and the ability to effect the whole blend as a group rather than one track at a time. In this type of configuration, the sends don't come into play usually.

I hope this helps the original poster workout whatever issue he's having.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Technically you're right, but that's not very practical. If you have audio tracks solo safed then they won't mute as you'd want them to when you solo another track. Then, any pre or post fader sends you have feeding reverbs would still be receiving signal from the track which would cause the infamous "ghosting" sound of tracks you wanted to go away when you soloed something else.

As for the original poster's question, I'm not really sure what he's missing because he seems fairly sure about what he's doing. He's apparently missing SOMETHING because what he's describing is something I do about 100 times a day, so there's no issue. So in an effort to help him out, here's what I'd advise:

1. Take all of your audio tracks and assign them to the main outputs and verify that you can hear them properly when assigned that way.

2. After you've verified that everything is playing from step 1, create a stereo aux input track. I usually put a sub-group master like this adjacent to the tracks that are feeding it, but that's not a requirement to get it to work.

3. Assign the input of the aux track to an available pair of busses. Make sure this track's fader is set to unity gain (0.0dB) to start with. Also make sure it's not muted and that its assigned to the main output. You may choose to follow my advise above on solo safing the aux track too

4. Now on the output of the audio tracks you want to sub-group down, assign their outputs to that same set of busses.

(for example, if you assigned the input of the aux track to bus 9-10, you'll assign the outputs of the audio tracks to bus 9-10)

5. Give it a try.

The use of the term "using it as a send" is probably due to a lack of experience and understanding that an aux track is only related to a send when it's used as a return track for an additive effect. The type of configuration he was describing is where the signal is being re-routed thru a fader where you'll have control authority over the summed volume of the tracks feeding the aux and the ability to effect the whole blend as a group rather than one track at a time. In this type of configuration, the sends don't come into play usually.

I hope this helps the original poster workout whatever issue he's having.
Thanks Shawn, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. That let me know that what I was doing was correct and that the problem still lies somewhere else. My problem has become a little easier. But I am still having trouble getting signal to the aux track only using the inputs and outputs section. I have gone through the steps you have described time and again. I have now been able to get signal to the aux track through the sends to use it as an effects return. But when I set the output to the input of the aux track, I get no signal to the aux track and I still am hearing the tracks in the main outs. Just to clarify what I am trying to do, I am trying to send all of my drum tracks into the aux track so that they all have to go through the aux track before they go to the main outputs, which is something that I have done time and again. THe only way I have been able to accomplish this so far, is to use the track as a send, and then give the tracks no output, rather than just using the ins and out section. If I don't do that then i get no signal at all to the aux track and it stays in the main mix. I am still trying to figure out what the hell I am missing. This simple task that I have done many times is the only thing I haven't been able to do.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 AM

why not send them out a send/bus instead of the channel output

or am I missing something
Old 09-22-2005, 11:47 PM

Great answer Shawn - well done. You should write the manual for Protools! ...or set up a helpline for Protools tragics!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:34 AM

Helpline for Pro Tools Tragics

Thanks for the compliments!!