Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2000, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Frozen Powermac 8500....Help!!!

Bruce,

I was finally able to get it to boot up with the system disk. I ran Disk Firstaid and it didn't indicate there were any problems. I tried to deauthorize PT's and Masterlist but it would let me because it said the disks were locked. Plus any time I go into the main drive to trash a folder the mouse freeses and everything is locked. I have to reboot.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks and I hope you had a great christmas!!

macguy
Old 12-26-2000, 01:53 PM

Back up a few steps, here...

Macguy,

Did you say you installed a G4 accelerator? Is this when your problems started?

If so, you've obviously got some compatibility issues. First of all, have you checked to make sure all your RAM is buffered and damped? If you're using incorrect RAM, that could be causing the problems. You may have to replace some, or all of it. Also, did you properly reset the processor button?

If your problems started with the installation of a G4 card, check the website of the company that makes your card for troubleshooting info.

Also, be aware that many folks have had difficulty getting PT to work with a G4 accelerated machine. The configuration is not supported by Digidesign.

BTW, when you were doing these hardware installations, was your computer plugged in (to ground the chassis) and were you wearing a wrist strap? There's always a possibility that you might have fried something. Especially if you live in the northern climes, static electricity can be pretty brutal during the winter when the humidity gets low.

If you did do a G4 installation, the first thing I'd do (if I were you) would be to re-install the original processor and see if that returns things to normal. If you were using a G4 accelerator with incorrect RAM, your system files might be corrupted (this happened to me), so try a clean system install (or first try booting from a CD ROM like TechTool or Norton).

If I were you, I'd send back the G4 accelerator. The anecdotal DUC opinion seems to be that a G3/400 is about as far as you should go (and remember, even that is not supported).

If after replacing the original processor, your computer still doesn't function, something may indeed be fried. At that point, it might be time to visit a repair facility.

Also, don't waste time trying to authorize/de-athorize until you fix what's wrong with your computer.

Good luck.

Lee Blaske

Old 12-26-2000, 01:57 PM

A few more points that you might want to consider...

PT 4.3 will not work with G4's, you need to upgrade to PT 5.0.1. PT 5.0.1 uses a different copy protection system, so you won't need the authorization that's still on your 8500.

The Adaptec card is also not likely to work with PT along with a G4. (This is not a tested configuration, but the Adaptec is not approved for use with PT on a real G4).

Lee Blaske

[This message has been edited by Lee Blaske (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-2000, 02:33 PM

Lee,

What happened was that I removed all my cards from the PM 8500 to put them in a NEW G4. I haven't used the 8500 for a while and I wanted to get somefiles off the 8500 drive and deauthorize PT's 4.3 of the PM 8500.

I finally was able to boot it up with the system disk but it won't let me deathorize anything. It says the disk is locked. When I try to trash a file the mouse locks up and I have to restart the computer.

Should I reload the system software? Should that allow me to start up from the disk?

Thanks for the assistance.

macguy