Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2000, 12:52 AM

Default Re: What is Pro Tools going to do?

"But I work in film, I need to be able to work in feet&frames, I need to be compatable."
Again, I did my research before buying into it. Call around you will be surprised at what you find!, Soundscape has a bigger following in Post-Production then you might think. Post & Broadcast has been there main stay for a while. If i found this out, just by taking a few moments out and looking around, so can you.
Was any one here at AES this year? Soundscape had discrete 48 ch surround demo. Did you see it?
Old 10-20-2000, 01:10 AM

Please Audio Mask

go to the Soundscape forum and pray with your godfather Chris Wright and wait for your extra 12 DSP`S (I did for 4 years and it`s not there yet)and then you can insert 12 TC dynamicer in your channels but you have no Waves Gold bundle no Wave Mechanic Bundle no Duy no...no...no... and right now you even have no second equaliser from any company. But

Praise the R.Ed

Wolfgang
Old 10-20-2000, 03:36 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Audio Mask:
"But I work in film, I need to be able to work in feet&frames, I need to be compatable."
Again, I did my research before buying into it. Call around you will be surprised at what you find!, Soundscape has a bigger following in Post-Production then you might think. Post & Broadcast has been there main stay for a while. If i found this out, just by taking a few moments out and looking around, so can you.
Was any one here at AES this year? Soundscape had discrete 48 ch surround demo. Did you see it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My oh my... You are one big idiot arent you Audio Mask?. Why do you even bother waisting your time with all this?.

I´m probbably the last person here to say good words about ProTools because I have barely had it going for a few weeks.

I find your statments pulled down from nowhere, like... "SS never crash" and "What is Digidesign going to do to,meet,or if it can ,beat, The feature list and Power of the R.Ed. 24?"

You make it sound like it is obvious that it is a better system, you are of course free to believe that if you like. My end to this would be... you wrote "There are more Pro users then you can imagine"

Yes there is, however I do not have any explaination from actually where you did your research you say you did because close to NONE of the pros uses SS.

Maybe it was explorer in windows?

Do some search for big names in the music industri and you´ll find out what they REALLY are using.

Regards.
Old 10-20-2000, 06:34 AM

I'm working in audio engineering in NYC. Every studio I go into, there is ProTools. Whether it sucks or it's great, make the best of it. Because it is not going away. It's no longer, "let's dump it into the computer and do some editing"... it's: "let's dump it into ProTools." Nuff said.

ProTools has built itself up to become the standard of digital audio editing and recording. You ask, "what is ProTools going to do?" Nothing, except continue to strengthen it's infrastructure. Industry standards don't have to do line by line spec comparisons with it's "competitors" to figure out how many more or less features they have. Digidesign can pick it's nose for the next year, and, while it might piss off it's users, 1000s of studios across the globe are not going to abandon it and buy another platform.

Now, if you don't care about integrating with pro studios around the world, and you just want to make music in your house and be happy.... GO AHEAD. Just don't come here and bug us about it.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:39 AM

These kinds of threads always talk about competing DAW products asthough it doesn't take years for products this complex to achieve stability. We're not talkin about a word processor you know.

I bought a Mix+ and a Mac over a year ago...knowing little about either. It's doing everything I want and has never crashed once.

I'm not saying PT won't have competition in the future...but right now, for people who want the best, they don't.

Tom
Old 10-20-2000, 10:15 AM

For me the solution is quite simple...

I wouldn't work on a PeeCee, even if the client payed me Double my Rate !!! (and I mean that...)

I think I'm fairly safe, in sticking w/Protools/Mac for a while...

hehehehe

Old 10-20-2000, 01:14 PM

First let me say I am a big fan of Pro Tools.
Just about everything about it is fantastic!!
I have a PT/24 in my home studio.
BUT....all of the negatives posts about Soundscape may not have much merit. At least that is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I have been using Soundscape in a post production facility enviroment for the past 2 years. Soundscape has never crashed on me nor do I have any major hangups about it. Our clients have not complaints either. We are soing highend work too. Do I prefer working on Soundscape over Pro Tools? No way. Getting Soundscape was a bugetary decision. Not my first choice at all.

Pro Tools is the better choice for whatever you are doing whether it is music or post work. At least I'm not working with the Dyaxis 2 anymore.

If you want to work with the industry standard use Pro Tools. If not..too bad.

There is my 2 cents.

Macguy
Old 10-20-2000, 03:18 PM

The SS booth at AES was...interesting. I just can't imagine ANYONE going from 5.1 to 48.3, unless they want a nice conversation piece. But who knows? There are some funny people out there.
In contrast, the booth(s) for Digi were the place to be. If you care for style and the current state of audio post, that was it. Something you can't really say for the "other" company (it felt like being in a carnival tent).
I like the way ProTools behaves and looks as much as its features and capabilities; I just can't stand staring at an ugly interface for 8 hours straight.
But that's just me...
Old 10-21-2000, 02:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by uno1234:
I'm working in audio engineering in NYC. Every studio I go into, there is ProTools. Whether it sucks or it's great, make the best of it. Because it is not going away. It's no longer, "let's dump it into the computer and do some editing"... it's: "let's dump it into ProTools." Nuff said.

ProTools has built itself up to become the standard of digital audio editing and recording. You ask, "what is ProTools going to do?" Nothing, except continue to strengthen it's infrastructure. Industry standards don't have to do line by line spec comparisons with it's "competitors" to figure out how many more or less features they have. Digidesign can pick it's nose for the next year, and, while it might piss off it's users, 1000s of studios across the globe are not going to abandon it and buy another platform.

Now, if you don't care about integrating with pro studios around the world, and you just want to make music in your house and be happy.... GO AHEAD. Just don't come here and bug us about it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nuff said.....
Ade

Old 10-21-2000, 04:00 PM

pro Tools is a "Trend" do to good maketing and exposure. is what made it #1 not because it is nessesarly the best. I know, I got PT/NT "because i wanted to offer the same tools as everyone else" and it worked with my current editing stations. Not because it was the best! its NOT. the really "Big Boys" prefer SSL,Neve,and Fairlight, among others. Pro Tools offered alot for the price.
As a user and sick of the "Politics" surrounding PT/NT I am going to take a look at SS,not because of Audio Mask.
Beleive it or not, the Manufacture of the editing software i use,supports it (DPS)
An Engineer is defined by his work not his tools
WF