Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2000, 06:41 AM

Default SHORTCUT TO BOUNCE

Dear Digidesign
Please for Christmas could I have a shortcut
for "bounce to disk" on the k/b as well as on PContr.Also,please ask your reps who travel the world doing presentations to stop lying about PT's midi timing "excellence" and also to stop insinuating that they all read this forum to find ideas for improving PT.I have seen too many excellent ideas get overlooked to beleive that for a minute.
I am sending a copy of this letter to Santa Claus because currently his users conference is more credible.

Love
LAST
Old 06-30-2000, 08:17 AM

Default Re: SHORTCUT TO BOUNCE

Dear Last,

Please find enclosed lump of coal.

Yours Truly,
--
Santa

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 06-30-2000, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Pro Tools 5.0 included over 100 new features, including greatly improved midi capabilities compared to previous versions. Pro Tools 5.0.1 added a few features, notably Win 98 support, but was mainly a maintenance release on the Mac side to address improvements and fixes in features introduced with 5.0.
We have a wishlist here as well of hundreds of items from the field, engineering, and yes, this users conference. They are all prioritized according to "must have", "desirable", and many other criteria. Some are of course more easily implemented than others. Others bring up hard choices about whether inclusion will delay a release and deny users other desired features. It's a difficult day-to-day process that involves long-term planning for the next release and future releases next year and beyond.
User feedback is the number one consideration in determining how Pro Tools will ultimately evolve. Engineering and Marketing factors enter into the process, as they have to for a company to remain healthy and be able to continue to develop products, but ultimately the consumer decides whether or not we're on the right track. We may not always be able to include a feature that you personally want when you want it, but we're certainly paying attention.

Hard at work with the rest of the elves,

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 06-30-2000, 01:57 PM

In Digital Performer when bouncing to disk it runs at about warp 9 - apparently at the speed limit of the drive. So a 5 minute song can be bounced in about 30 seconds or so on my beige G3/300 with Adaptec 2940U2W and an 18 gig U2 drive. In Protools 5.0 it's realtime. Why?
Old 07-01-2000, 12:16 AM

The one thing I'd like to see on the next PT upgrade (I know it's possible to have)
is multiple undos.

Why does PT5 not offer it.Other DAW let you do multiple undos. I thought for sure my now PT would have that flexibility and I think it is an important option to have.

Just a thought.

macguy

Old 07-01-2000, 01:35 AM

Dear Bruce
Thanx for your reply.Sometimes it is neccesary to send a little shocker just to see if there is life on the other side.As one of the manager of the most extensive PT setup in my country it is important to do whatever it takes to protect my investment.It is not nice when visiting engineers point out obvious shotcomings in PT and on PContr.Especialy when I search this forum and discover the suggestions have been made weeks,months or even longer ago.It is also diheartening to table an idea and the only ones interested in replying and developing the idea are other users(even like Angus1970 on occasion)who are in no position to implement it.So what I'm saying is this : Dont sit on the sidelines of this user conference.Dive in .We want to knoww what your programmers and engineers think of our ideas .We want to help develop PT WITH you ,not in front of you .If someone comes with an idea that is silly then say it.There are a lot of dedicated and professional PT users out there who will back you up.If someone comes with a good or even a vaguely developable idea,hit your reply buttons and help develop it!We will all participate.As good as they are , your staff is NOT in the best position too determine what is needed on PT and what is not.The people who are are the users.So how about giving us an insight into YOUR wishlist.Who knows?You might be spending a disproportionate ammount of time developing something that no-one wants,or needs.You migt be spending too little or no time on something users are crying for.It wouldnt be the first time and yours would not be the first company to make that mistake.Remember,Bruce , that in this forum you have the opportunity to communicate directly with the only people on the planet with the ability to put you out of business forever.I want to tell you to not let that happen.You've lost your lead as the worlds best developer of the best software for DAW's,and just because you are one of the biggest companies,the only one with anything like Pro Control ,and the leading manufacturer of DAW hardware doesnt put you on top.Frankly a lot of us users(and ex users)could see this coming for some time now,but we stuck with you for a number of reasons,because a horse who led the race once has a better that average chance of doing it again.Get stuck in here and make PT come out on top again!We want to help you determine how.People who buy PT buy one oof the most expensive systems available and I foor one would not mind even paying a little bit more if I know I'm buying a winner.So tell your accountants or whoever determines the way digi works nowerdays to go stuff themselves and make sure that PT once again becomes the exiting,inovative and revolutionary product it used to be.

Regards to the elves
Last
Old 07-01-2000, 08:24 AM

Please add a keyboard shortcut for bounce to disk. This is a feature used literally hundreds of times daily!

Mike
Old 07-01-2000, 09:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ted Spencer:
In Digital Performer when bouncing to disk it runs at about warp 9 - apparently at the speed limit of the drive. So a 5 minute song can be bounced in about 30 seconds or so on my beige G3/300 with Adaptec 2940U2W and an 18 gig U2 drive. In Protools 5.0 it's realtime. Why?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Digital Performer can do this while running TDM plugins?

Thanks

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-01-2000, 11:38 AM
Avid

Dog BBQ & Last
A bounce to disk shortcut would be cool,
I agree. Digital Performer running DAE/TDM
cant bounce any other than realtime. It is a function of DAE/TDM that bounce to disk is
done real time for the effects and automation and TDM buss. I am not sure if that can change
or is a limitation of the TDM buss.
MJ
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 07-01-2000, 02:26 PM

Try use KeyQuencer or QuickKey for any shortcut.