Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2000, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Microphones for voiceover...

Folks,

Sorry for the delay on replying (just got back from a two week vacation)

NetNutGuy: I heard the Blueberry on a male vocalist, a male voiceover, and a female voiceover but not as of yet a female vocalist. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded great though given it's extremely pristine sound. Also, I hear many great things about the M149 but have yet to get my grubby meat hooks on one to try it for myself. The only info that I can share on the Mouse is that which I posted earlier. It's the only experience, to date, that I have with it. - hope that is of some assitance. Anybody else got info on that?

Jasbart: I agree with Tor on his choice of pre-amps. One of the guys here currently uses a pair of 416's with an older TLA pre-amp/tube compressor of which he's very fond. Personally, the 416 sounds a little hyped to me. Not bad, but just not the kind of sound that I'm trying to get.

BD: Thanks for the scoop on the Rode mic. The one that I tried was not particularly suited to what I was trying to do, but I don't believe that I tried the model that you're mentioning. If I can I'll give it a listen.

General: Interestingly enough, while I was out on vacation I stopped by a well known studio in Boston and noted that they're using the TL-193 (the very mic that I use right now.) Hmmm, perhaps I should look no further than my own room. Can you say gear hound?

Best,

DigiDawg

Old 07-19-2000, 09:17 AM

Am I the only engineer in the northeast who has been consistently unimpressed with A/T's large diaphragm condensors? I'd say I have yet to find a v/o mic that works as well on a variety of voices [and believe me, at our NPR affiliate we get variety] than the U-87, but I'm brainwashed by the "NPR sound." If you are looking for more "hype" on the voice and are willing to EQ, C414-EB is OK on a softer voice, SM-7 [or RE-20} is OK on a harder voice, and M149 is just great. Finally, the room or booth you're in is as crucial as the choice of mic pre with a high quality condensor mic.
Old 07-24-2000, 01:54 AM

Hi
With all this talk I'm looking at what I've got and what I want (I'll have it all thanks). Now it's back to earth to what I can afford.
I'm just a guy who uses my gear to write music and muk about with my mates (no pro). But it doesn't take long to find out that if you buy equipement once, money is saved so buy good (well I thought it was)in the first place.
I have the following mics
2x RodeNT2 2x RodeNT3(new just released)

I was looking at the RodeNTV and/or the Neumann TLM-103 to add to my collection.

Could anyone please tell me how these mics compare in a studio situ.
Is the difference between NT2 and NTV just the valve.
How does NTV shape-up with TLM-103
Many thanks
Nick from Aussie
Old 07-24-2000, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigiDawg:
[B]Bobby,
And, sadly, that particular mic Sennheiser416 (as I understand it) is no longer made.

FYI, they are still very available, not disco'd. How many would you like?
Old 07-25-2000, 12:51 AM

I would also like to hear the outcome of Rode NT2 versus Neumann TLM-103.

...and Digidawg; did I miss what cables you used?

/GW

VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-25-2000, 05:10 AM

Jeffbriss,

Thank you for correcting my eroneous information on the 416's. What kind of price are they running? And, what I really want to know, is why the people at the audio places are telling me that they are discontinued. Perhaps there's been a manufacuring change from the models that we have here? Or, they want to sell something else. Hmmmmmm.

GW,

Regrettably, I did not list the cables in the post (my bad) My guess is, knowing the facility where I tested them, that they were either Mogami or Monster. Also, if I'm understanding your reply correctly, you'd like to hear the actual test that I did for the two mic's mentioned? If so, I'll see what I can do about that for you. I've had some pretty strong work streses of late and haven't had the time to neatly compile all the recordings in a manner that would make sense for anybody else. If you're looking for the results from the test, they are posted above in the thread. (Look for something longwinded from yours truly - that should be it)

Thanks folks

Dawg
Old 07-25-2000, 07:23 AM

My misstake... I meant a more overall comparasin´ as f.x. vocal/male vocal...

The price is also interresting, since it costs twice as much in Sweden as in Germany! In Germany 1.375:- DM (www.thomann.de) or 704:- Euro and the Rode about half as much right now...

/GW
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-25-2000, 08:26 PM

My head is spinning!!!

I'm building/planning a digi001 g4 system,
but haven't bought anything yet.
Still estimating my budget.

Any suggestions for a starter mic?
How much should I be spending on a mic?

I've seen microphones over $2000.
I can't see spending that much
unless I win Lotto.

------------------
Ed Worf
Chicago burbs
[email protected]
(If you need a pro tools assistant in Chicago, drop me a line)
Old 07-26-2000, 08:58 AM

I have had great success with the audio technica 4033. It is inexpensive and does exactly what I want it to do. I think it is a good choice. Cost is around $450.00.

Macguy
Old 07-26-2000, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigiDawg:
[B]Jeffbriss,

Thank you for correcting my eroneous information on the 416's. What kind of price are they running?

We sell 'em for $1179, and most folks also get a Beyer EA19/25 shock mount for $47.

And, what I really want to know, is why the people at the audio places are telling me that they are discontinued.

'Dunno, maybe you should move?

Perhaps there's been a manufacturing change from the models that we have here?

Nope, same old models, the 48 volt version, and the original "T" powered version the film folks like(d).