Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Bouncing PTLE sessions to .wav file help!

OK...I guess I am not understanding this area...

I understand that .wav is the "works on all platforms? From Bob O...

My question is...Does the final CD (after the burn) contain/know if it is a .WAV or .SDII...??

If Not, then this technology would just apply to the Bounced/created file, before the bounce...?? NO?? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 10-24-2002, 09:28 AM

not totally sure, but isnt it a CDA once it hits the cd. (the audio file, that is)
Old 10-24-2002, 01:01 PM

Thank you to those who helped (jive & others).... as usual th DUC has proven to be a great place for help!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:36 PM

As with Toast, if you drag and drop an mp3 or .wav into the program, it automaticlly converts it to the file it needs to be for burning purposes. So, as I have always understood it,
burned audio files on a CD-R (once concerted and burned) end up being a .wav file on the CD-r itself.

That has always been my understanding. Maybe not true. Any alternate thoughts on the subject?

The other thought is that (as I understand it) if you burn a CD-r on a mac...it is burned as an AIFF. If audio files are burned on a PC the files are always .wav
Old 10-25-2002, 09:14 AM

We are talking about two different types of CD here.

If you burn an Audio CD ("Red Book"), your files are converted into a mono or stereo stream, indexed by tracks/minutes/seconds. Digitally, they are no longer files... if you want to extract audio files from an audio CD, you need to "rip" them from the audio stream and convert them into files. This is what iTunes does

If you burn a data CD ("Yellow Book" or "ISO 9660" with some variants), you are simply transferring digital files onto a CD, which you copy onto another hard disk for example. This is how you want to share a PTLE session - with the PTLE session file plus the audio tracks files.

Toast does both, iTunes is oriented Audio and MP3 CDs, Mac OS has a basic data CD burner utility.

hope this helps

- Sean
Old 10-25-2002, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seandaly:
We are talking about two different types of CD here.

If you burn an Audio CD ("Red Book"), your files are converted into a mono or stereo stream, indexed by tracks/minutes/seconds. Digitally, they are no longer files... if you want to extract audio files from an audio CD, you need to "rip" them from the audio stream and convert them into files. This is what iTunes does

If you burn a data CD ("Yellow Book" or "ISO 9660" with some variants), you are simply transferring digital files onto a CD, which you copy onto another hard disk for example. This is how you want to share a PTLE session - with the PTLE session file plus the audio tracks files.

Toast does both, iTunes is oriented Audio and MP3 CDs, Mac OS has a basic data CD burner utility.

hope this helps
- Sean
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes yes yes, finally someone who knows what the hell is going on. Sean much thanx (where do I need to send the check [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )...I will try the OS data burner. May GOD bless you.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:07 AM

You know, when you "bounce to disk" in PTLE, you Must convert the file to .wav...to import dual mono back in to session...

with .SDII there is No conversion necessary...

I think the single cause of downgrading the Audio sound is PTLE conversion...I have proved this with my HHB that I No longer "bounce to disk" and "convert", but now burn straight to CD...Much higher quality than "BTD" conversion...

I still "bounce and import" back to session for Mastering...(no conversion) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12