Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2024, 12:34 PM

Default Pro Tools Studio w/Presonus StudioLive 32...

Hey there,

We're using Pro Tools Studio with an S1 to do a separate broadcast mix for our livestream at church. We connect to a Presonus StudioLive 32 via USB and PT uses it as it's playback engine. Everything is working well except for one thing. Every 5-10 minutes the signal drops out for 1-2 seconds from my headphones. It seems to be a monitoring issue as meters and signal continues to pass and recording is not interrupted. We're using Aux IO to send to the MacbookPro's headphones to monitor. And as I type, I feel like that's probably the issue right there.

Anyone else experience this or similar? Any explanations?

Thx!
J.R.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:41 AM

Default Pro Tools Studio w/Presonus StudioLive 32...

You’re right. Using the MacBook headphone out via aux I/O leaves it open to dropouts. If you don’t mind living with it, then it doesn’t matter.

The only way to solve this is to monitor through a device whose clock is sync’d to the mixer. If you have available input channels and sends, you could monitor back through the mixer itself for free. Or you could use an external interface via aux I/O that’s clocked to the AES output on the mixer.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-24-2024, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio w/Presonus StudioLive 32...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Hey there,

We're using Pro Tools Studio with an S1 to do a separate broadcast mix for our livestream at church. We connect to a Presonus StudioLive 32 via USB and PT uses it as it's playback engine. Everything is working well except for one thing. Every 5-10 minutes the signal drops out for 1-2 seconds from my headphones. It seems to be a monitoring issue as meters and signal continues to pass and recording is not interrupted. We're using Aux IO to send to the MacbookPro's headphones to monitor. And as I type, I feel like that's probably the issue right there.

Anyone else experience this or similar? Any explanations?

Thx!
J.R.
If you used a separate small interface connected to the Mac just for monitoring, you could use Aux IO to that small interface rather than the built in Mac headphone output.

Alternatively, you could send the audio from the mac back to the studio live using the tape inputs set to USB. Then you could monitor using the headphones plugged into the studio live.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Signal does go back to the StudioLive in order to send to the livestream rig but unfortunately monitoring there isn't an option as the FOH mixer utilizes the headphones.

So it's definitely a clocking thing? Makes sense. It's just that in my experience clocking issues usually presented as a more persistent clicking. I'll admit it's been many years since I've needed clock devices together though :)

J.R.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Signal does go back to the StudioLive in order to send to the livestream rig but unfortunately monitoring there isn't an option as the FOH mixer utilizes the headphones.

So it's definitely a clocking thing? Makes sense. It's just that in my experience clocking issues usually presented as a more persistent clicking. I'll admit it's been many years since I've needed clock devices together though :)

J.R.

If you have available sends on the console, you can patch them to something with a headphone out. Doesn’t everyone have a dinky little mixer laying about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-25-2024, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If you have available sends on the console, you can patch them to something with a headphone out. Doesn’t everyone have a dinky little mixer laying about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true, we definitely have a little mixer kicking around. Thx for the suggestion!

J.R.