Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Converters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
PC makers basically f'd it up. BETA vs. VHS, anyone..?
Somewhat parallel. Beta had a 1-hour recording time; useless for movies. And then the companies who'd doubled-down on VHS technology simply had larger marketing budgets and that put the nail in the coffin for Beta as a retail format. However, it continued to be a professional standard for decades.

Sidenote... when I was 11 and making silly tracks in my bedroom I would print finals back to VHS because it sounded better than cassette. Beta sounded even better, but I couldn't find a recorder and tapes on an 11-year-old's budget.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:57 PM

Forgive me if this is obvious to some but I'm not up to speed with the specifics. Assuming what we have been saying in general that Thunderbolt audio interfaces perform equally as USB3/4 audio interfaces.

If I buy a Thunderbolt audio interface (suppose a Focusrite Clarett or UA Apollo TwinX - ignore the DSP capability for now) it will only work with Thunderbolt (rear ports of my Mac Studio M1Max). There is no USB (for the front USB-C ports of my Mac Studio M1Max computer) to Thunderbolt adapter (for the audio interface end). Sorry if I'm making that sound too complicated.

However, if I buy a USB audio interface (USB3 or USB4) I can connect to either the Thunderbolt ports or USB-C ports on my Mac Studio to the USB-C port on my audio interface using a simple USB-C cable.

Therefore, for future-proofing my investment in an audio interface and maximum flexibility, it seems to make sense to purchase an USB audio interface. Am I correct or am I misunderstanding something?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-23-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Coverters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
In order to save everyone else from having to look through the RME forum for that thread:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic...192364#p192364

I don't think there will be a new TB audio interface from RME...or anyone else...
Oh man. That's a huge bummer. I was really hoping on picking up a Presonus Quantum 4848 in the near future and now i understand why they're out of stock everywhere. There aren't really any other interfaces with that feature set at that price, so I hope they come out with some sort of replacement for it!
Old 10-24-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote "If I buy a Thunderbolt audio interface (suppose a Focusrite Clarett or UA Apollo TwinX - ignore the DSP capability for now) it will only work with Thunderbolt (rear ports of my Mac Studio M1Max). There is no USB (for the front USB-C ports of my Mac Studio M1Max computer) to Thunderbolt adapter (for the audio interface end). Sorry if I'm making that sound too complicated.

However, if I buy a USB audio interface (USB3 or USB4) I can connect to either the Thunderbolt ports or USB-C ports on my Mac Studio to the USB-C port on my audio interface using a simple USB-C cable".

Hello,

I do know that Apollo Twin X needs thunderbolt (with a genuine Apple thunderbolt cable) to work with a M1 Mac mini and 2018 Intel Mac mini (I tried another thunderbolt cable and no go for me). Also, I have connected Focusrite USB interfaces to thunderbolt ports using USB C cable and worked like a charm. Mileage varies but have a good one!

Len B.

Len
Old 10-24-2022, 05:34 PM

Whoops to also keep on track.. wanted to add (and I have no horse in the race other than good sounding audio interfaces:) I think the new Avid desktop Studio interface has pretty decent bang for the buck and I wouldn't mind having one.

lb
Old 10-25-2022, 04:46 PM

It seems like a cool interface in some ways. I still have a Digi-002R boxed up in the attic and wish I had kept my Digi-001. The Mbox Studio specs state that the connection is by "USB-C 2.0" so I'm assuming that's USB 2.0 with the USB-C connector? Not sure.

As far as thunderbolt 3 or 4 cables, I'm using/have used some from OWC, Cable Matters(Amazon), and one from Sonnet that all work well connecting both my Apollo Twin X and/or X8p to the Mac Studio. They are all under 3ft in length though. I do remember a cable issue while helping a friend with his Intel Macbookpro and an X8 in February. He had everything connected but could not get audio to pass. When I checked the cables, he was using a USB-C cable by mistake. It was funny because the UAD Console software recognized the X8 but would not pass audio of course lol.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 10-25-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
It seems like a cool interface in some ways. I still have a Digi-002R boxed up in the attic and wish I had kept my Digi-001. The Mbox Studio specs state that the connection is by "USB-C 2.0" so I'm assuming that's USB 2.0 with the USB-C connector? Not sure.
working here on a standard USB2 port

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
working here on a standard USB2 port

lol
Thinking back I believe most of the USB audio devices I have or have seen were 2.0

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 10-25-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
lol
Thinking back I believe most of the USB audio devices I have or have seen were 2.0
My current workhorse interface is USB 2.0. Rock solid and no shortage of bandwidth.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
My current workhorse interface is USB 2.0. Rock solid and no shortage of bandwidth.
Agreed.

My RME USB 2.0 interface is hands down the best I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few over the years). Installed the drivers, plugged it in and it simply works. No issues of any kind and it ended my lust for all things thunderbolt.

If I paid for the drivers, then so be it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X