Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Re: PT 10 Amnesty (I got screw*d)

The only feature that really interested me about PT10 was the Disk Ram feature, but now I know that it is available only for HD and CPTK.

Im good waiting until new mid-level hardware comes out before I upgrade from PT9. Also considering that my system is workin the best it ever has. No updates since 9.0.0.

Am I foolish for expecting a 004 or a new revised interface/control surface combo from avid? Are the M-Boxes the only new stuff thing we have to choose from Avid? I really hope not.

In the meantime, I really suggest everyone make music with what they have, though quite honestly, the $1000.00 upgrade price after spending $6,000.00 seems truly unfair. Im thinking that its more probable that Avid will address this rather than not.

Sit tight I say.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_9 View Post
The only feature that really interested me about PT10 was the Disk Ram feature, but now I know that it is available only for HD and CPTK.

Im good waiting until new mid-level hardware comes out before I upgrade from PT9. Also considering that my system is workin the best it ever has. No updates since 9.0.0.

Am I foolish for expecting a 004 or a new revised interface/control surface combo from avid? Are the M-Boxes the only new stuff thing we have to choose from Avid? I really hope not.

In the meantime, I really suggest everyone make music with what they have, though quite honestly, the $1000.00 upgrade price after spending $6,000.00 seems truly unfair. Im thinking that its more probable that Avid will address this rather than not.

Sit tight I say.
+1

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis View Post
Yeah, I think I got screwed too. I just bought Pro Tools 9 my self (2 months ago) WHAT THE FU_K, AVID!

Having an "ONLY" about 2 weeks of amnesty? Come on!!! These guys are supposed to be the leaders in this industry! I am SOOO mad! At the bare minimum, it should be at least 90 days of amnesty! All this tells me is how GREEDY one can be. The upgrade shouldn't be this expensive... I would agree with a $149 upgrade like most DAW's , but $299??!?? This really does make me think about giving up totally on Pro Tools...

nexis
Same here. Lets say AVID and bend over.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
No I'm not missing it.

The whole point is that this update was not targeted to enthusiasts, or music composer.

The whole point is that Avid doesn't hold a colt on your head forcing you to upgrade now.

The whole point is unless it's a question of pride over your wallet, you shouldn't upgrade if you do not absolutely need the new features and that your own rig is working fine for your needs.

The whole point is to be intelligent. If you don't need to spend, don't spend.

Dumb dumb... I think some people complaining here should really start to do a conscience check and actually wise up on why do they need the upgrade. Most of them I'm sure, would notice that it's just a question of pride of owning the new "toy", and they don't actually need it.

Is the price a bit high, yeah. Does it mean that you have to act stupid and pay even a dime if you don't need the new upgrade? Just because it's cool, or just because you want to stay current even if you don't need to. just because you can boast you have the newest version?
My Problem is that they have not fixed the problems in 9 a less than 11 month old program and there answer is to instead of fixing 9 release 10 and charge everyone for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobbins View Post
My Problem is that they have not fixed the problems in 9 a less than 11 month old program and there answer is to instead of fixing 9 release 10 and charge everyone for it.
Ok let's get this straight. They might not have fixed the exact problem(s) that relates to your use of the program, but they have been doing bug fixes ever since pt 9 came out. And they will keep doing so for some time even now that pt 10 came out. No company can fix every bugs there might be in their software or even hardware. No company has ever came up with a bug free product. Every company has come up with new versions of products even though there was still bugs in the old ones.

Avid has been working on some of the new features that were implemented in pt 10 for two years!! But wait, they still came up with pt 9, yes? And pt 9 came with new features and some bug fixes over pt 8, yes? So chill out about that, it's not like they are stopping the bug fixes in pt 9 for those that wishes to stick with it until pt 11 comes out. And there's enough changes to PT 10 to warrant the new version number.

Avid on the other hand, had to make a choice of when they would make the transitional release toward pt 64, as they could not have simply release a 64 bit version of pro tools that would have left every one out for dry, with new plug ins to buy, drop of legacy hardware, hd being trashed and new hardware to buy to replace it like HDX. And with enough people pushing them to move toward 64 bit, Avid is giving them exactly what they want, and what does avid get for that, a barrage of insults and threats (there's been a few) and tantrums.

What would you prefer. Having to buy everything new again, just like that, as you wake up the next morning? Or having the time to plan your money in consequence?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Hi
Thanks for this Echma, I hope you're right!
I feel like Crobbins : I just bought (last september) Pro Tools 9 to put it on a brand new Macbook Pro that has Lion on it, and haven't had a chance of trying an "officially" supported PT version yet since I'm on 9.0.5...
Hope it gets better!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdextrine View Post
Hi
Thanks for this Echma, I hope you're right!
I feel like Crobbins : I just bought (last september) Pro Tools 9 to put it on a brand new Macbook Pro that has Lion on it, and haven't had a chance of trying an "officially" supported PT version yet since I'm on 9.0.5...
Hope it gets better!
Avid have themselves said they would, I'm trying to find the post where digi has posted it, but this part of the forum is already a mess of threads (always hated vbultin for that).

I'll post the quote with a link when I find it.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM

had to go through a lot of digitech posts but here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
What would make you say that?

I can unequivocally say that we're continuing to roll out updates to 9 - I know because I'm part of the team working on those updates.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
had to go through a lot of digitech posts but here it is
Thxs to you! nice.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdextrine View Post
Thxs to you! nice.
Welcome

Wave-T.com