Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 AM

Default The (DAW) that cant break down...

Hey Avid,

I have a theory on why avid is making everybody upgrade on an annual basis because lets face it, If they WANTED to they could released the DAW that would make everybody happy.

Back in the 80s there was a car that was released (by Toyota i believe) that would never break down. "Sweet!" said the people "this is just what we needed!". But what happens when you make a product that never breaks down or gets outdated? Its simple, people don't have the need to buy any new products and the company suffers accordingly... This is the way that marketing (especially in the USA) works today. Just give them a good taste so that they keep coming back for more.

Avid, I bet you have the blueprints for the next 5 versions of Protools complete with marketing schemes to go along with those updates so as to be able to milk it for everything its worth. You have outstanding software and not to mention gear... but is it really too much to ask to just attempt to make everybody happy instead of making everybody broke? Please do not get me wrong though, I L.O.V.E Protools! I am just deeply concerned for its future and it is for these reasons I am bringing up this discussion.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 AM

Default Re: The (DAW) that cant break down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Say pro tools 11 comes out... say the two big things are 64 bit andof course mad AAX support. What makes you HAVE get Pro Tools 11. I know I could pick up a power Mac and set up an HD 3 rig with pro tools 7, get a used ilok with plenty of plugin authorizations and for very cheap I'd be set for life. I'd have plenty of DSP power for mixing and all the pro features. Why not because I need something more energy effecient and something I can easily move around. Pro tools 9 handles everything I need however I will continue to love forward until 64 bit comes for pro tools. From there if my computer cab handle it I will take advantage of my student upgrades as well until the 4 years are up.

After that I probably will keep that software for 3-5 years before I upgrade. With that in mind I hope they continue annual releases of Pro Tools. This way I get a yearly update to what's changing rather then waiting 3 years to find out.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 AM

That´s all good and well. But don´t you see that they are really taking advantage of the consumers? If they had had their mind on anything else than money we would all be HD users by now and PT10 would be 64 bit and probably have the power to do your dishes while you work or something insane. They are intentionally holding back, waiting with elementary littler perks like clip gain and then talking about it on youtube like they reinvented the f***king wheel! Cubase has had that function for YEARS people and we don´t see Steinberg hiring top engineers to talk about what a miracle it is do we? Now I am not saying that Cubase trumps Protools or that I would want to be anything but a PT user. No no no. But why play the waiting game when they have the power to make a myriad of changes today? I for one don´t mind waiting a few years while they get their act together and make the next version of PT something revolutionary and not just a tweak here and a tweak there...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Pro Tools 10 is nothing more than Pro Tools 9.1, in fact Pro Tools 10 features you see now were in development before the idea scale came to be. My point is , lets take a game series that frustrates the hell out of me because I love them but the developers love to milk the fans for money The WWE Smackdown games to WWE Smackdown Vs Raw games, just full of crap decisions, overall as a fan it felt like they were screwing us wrestling gamers. What happened? The right minds got in their and those minds instead of worrying about the problems in the game, they worried about user feedback. They got answers from the fans, and direct from the fans to get features in that the fans want. Now the game is f'n sweet. I see the same thing happening with Avid. First they released Pro Tools 9, and regardless of the new features they lifted 3rd party interface restrictions.

It's like what my WWE games developers say, they say that they could easily just throw in the features you want including the ones that cause errors because of how it's currently coded. For the sake of value they need to take the idea scale, layout the top features voted for by the pro Tools users and work on one feature at a time. This means completing the feature and making sure the feature isn't the cause of breaking something else.

And is $300 really that much? to upgrade from 9 that is. If you think it's to much I think its more of a case that 9 is working for you or maybe 8 is working for you, or whatever version you are on and there is no reason to make the upgrade. Hell i don't need 10, but since it's included in my student license, I'm more than happy to use it.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 AM

For me, personally, this isn't about the money. Its about the disrespect. And I think you missed my point entirely, wtf does wwf have to do with anything?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Sorry, but much of this is so much blah blah blah. There will NEVER be a DAW that satisfies everyone, because there will ALWAYS be somebody that wants it different than the rest. If you dig PT, then roll with it and make your music. If you don't, then try Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Studio One.......The point is, find what works best for you and don't complain about what doesn't. I hate Cubase, but I don't go to the Cubase forums and trash it. Its just not the right DAW for me. It might be the perfect one for you For all the perceived disrespect that folks here feel(and perception is everything, truth is nothing), there is an equal amount of disrespect heaped on a company that is simply trying to move forward and make better products. Some of that is rather difficult given the constant state of computer change. Remember when the 001 got dumped and so many whined. That wasn't the fault of Digi/Avid, it was that Apple dropped the PCI bus. Well, some of what we have used with success will go the same way(the way of the dinosaur) simply due to changes in computer architecture. Personally, I will roll with the changes(apologies to REO) when it suits me, and drag my feet when it doesn't

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Some of that is rather difficult given the constant state of computer change. Remember when the 001 got dumped and so many whined. That wasn't the fault of Digi/Avid,
No, I will grant you that much. That was not Avids fault. But Avid could have devised a much better solution to this than just pulling PT10 out of thin air and saying "out with the old, in with the new... everybody cough up, oh yea, and sorry HD users but we now deem that your hardware does not meet our standards anymore and if you wanna be cool, you will buy this instead". A little warning would have been nice don't you think??? But I am NOT dissing the software because the software my friend is top notch. I´m just disputing the marketing methods avid had employed because they could have gone about doing all of this with allot more grace...