Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Weird issue with Kontakt 5 & controller keyboard

Hey folks, I'm new around here and could use some help. I'm trying to use Kontakt 5 through pro tools and it won't recognize my midi key strokes on my Impulse 49 controller.

Specifically what I mean is this - I load kontakt as an insert in pro tools, load my instrument, and when I try to play nothing responds. I can click the keyboard on the screen and sound comes out. What is MUCH stranger to me is that my automap control nobs work on the keyboard, I can control my sound, chord, key, scale, etc knobs FROM my controller keyboard, but I can not use the actual keys to make sound. My midi works when I use reason and other programs as inserts, but not Kontakt. Also, Kontakt recognizes my keyboard when it is in stand alone mode not used as a pro tools insert.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? I've tried using a different keyboard, changing my midi insert channels, using different USB cables, and a host of other things I'm to tired to think of right now. But nothing is working for me.

I was supposed to finish up a project tonight but because of this issue I've been unable to get anything done on it.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Weird issue with Kontakt 5 & controller keyboard

Just a double check here.. are you record enabling the instrument track? thats assuming you are using kontakt on an instrument track...

also double check the midi channel input in the kontakt instrument gui... choose omni to be safe while you are sorting this maybe..

..cant think of anything else right now i'm tired too :)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM

There's also the midi controller button that you can check, if it says all you could change it to your controller (assuming that it is set in the midi instrument setup) and make sure that you see that it is routed to the actual plugin, you should see kontak 5-1 (if it is the only instance of kontak you have). If that is greyed out, you need to actually switch it to the kontak 5-1. those are viewed when the Instrument tab is checked in the View options for edit and for the mixer window.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTrue View Post
Hey folks, I'm new around here and could use some help. I'm trying to use Kontakt 5 through pro tools and it won't recognize my midi key strokes on my Impulse 49 controller.

Specifically what I mean is this - I load kontakt as an insert in pro tools, load my instrument, and when I try to play nothing responds. I can click the keyboard on the screen and sound comes out. What is MUCH stranger to me is that my automap control nobs work on the keyboard, I can control my sound, chord, key, scale, etc knobs FROM my controller keyboard, but I can not use the actual keys to make sound. My midi works when I use reason and other programs as inserts, but not Kontakt. Also, Kontakt recognizes my keyboard when it is in stand alone mode not used as a pro tools insert.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? I've tried using a different keyboard, changing my midi insert channels, using different USB cables, and a host of other things I'm to tired to think of right now. But nothing is working for me.

I was supposed to finish up a project tonight but because of this issue I've been unable to get anything done on it.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Do you have PT set in preferences to sue the first selected MIDI instrument? What type of track are you inserting Kontakt on? Do you have the correct MIDI channel selected in the Kontakt instrument? Set it to Omni and see what happens. To debug your system I'd try things in standalone mode and if that work then work with PT.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM

Hey guys - thanks for the help! I still have NO idea what was wrong, but the issue has resolved itself. I came home on Friday and went to get it working and everything just worked flawlessly. It just took a few days of being unable to do anything...
Impulse 49 controller keyboard
Pro Tools 10