Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
I miss the good ole days of Digidesign.
You miss what exactly? Digidesign was bought out by avid in 1994, the same year Pt 2 tdm came out. 2.5 if you prefer as pt 2 was already out the previous year. They only rebranded Pro tools to Avid, dropping the brand Digidesign in 2009, but they were the owner and financier of PT for 15 years before that.

So what are you missing exactly?

Wave-T.com
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbertools View Post
Because it is to stupid meant to be serious.

Oh really? I never claimed this. Sorry, now you acting a little bit childish.

Yes, and my opinion is it is to stupid meant to be serious. I have not banned anyone's opinion. What's your point? Seriously!
His point is that no one trolling you because they don't agree with you and post about it. Therefor you asking if he's trolling you is sounding like an accusation.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I won't psychoanalyze anyone in particular, but I have noticed over the past few years in particular that some of the newer members of the audio community -- those who are just becoming old enough to do so -- tend to be a bit "precious." Their shelves of participation trophies and gold stars suggest to them that they're immediately knowledgeable and qualified with all things, in all corners of the world, and they feel that criticism in their general direction is just rude, regardless of how accurate it might be or who it may have come from. It takes a minute or two to realize that arguing with such people wastes good brain cells, and is typically fruitless at every stage.
I don’t know if this goes for me, anyhow, I’ve been in the audio industry for quite a long time, and worked with Protools since v5 or 6 (I remember it was an HD2). But on the other hand I also went Nuendo route (from v 1.6 till 3 where I stopped upgrading) because it was way more efficient and affordable than PT. I wanted to upgrade the Nuendo line but I felt in love with PT11 mixing engine and easy workflow.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
You miss what exactly? Digidesign was bought out by avid in 1994, the same year Pt 2 tdm came out. 2.5 if you prefer as pt 2 was already out the previous year. They only rebranded Pro tools to Avid, dropping the brand Digidesign in 2009, but they were the owner and financier of PT for 15 years before that.

Maybe his is referring to the days when you had to pay when an update was released, not a fixed annual fee. I remember at the end of the 2008 when I spent 150 euro for updating from vs 7 to vs 8 (hd). This was the most advanced update that pt get at least from my point. Midi editor, scoring editor, satellite, new gui, comping option with multilane in the tracks. At the end of 2017 I spent over 800 euro for reinstatiating and other 380 for the annual plan at the end of 2018 for having the same buggy sw with the same old problems that have never been resolved. Today I use pt11 for midi programming because since pt12 when copying and pasting midi clips some notes are lost and clips change name. The avid support is unseful simply because the sw is very buggy and the support team can do nothing. I am too old and too lazy to learn another sw again, but if this situation persist another year I will stop giving Avid any other cent
Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
....But it wasn't easy to understand all the things that can make Protools go down. It's a fragile DAW.

Yes quite finicky, ever since v9.

But even before that you still had to do the optimizations
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
You got that right. Just before, the pinnacle of PT stability was reached in PT 8.1.1 (but apart from my live rig, I couldn't go back).
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You got that right. Just before, the pinnacle of PT stability was reached in PT 8.1.1 (but apart from my live rig, I couldn't go back).
I haven't had stability issues in general since version 7, but I don't do VIs and I tend to keep my buffers above 128. I can remember two builds, in version 10 or 11, where I had issues. That was resolved by avoiding the specific point release.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post

Off subject, but from my memory Avid didn’t get involved in Protools until the year before the rebranding. It was during that stage that many of ProTools programmers and hardware designers left the company.

I personally had a much higher view of the company prior to the rebranding.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 AM

The "rebranding" happened after they combined the distributors and public relations teams to eliminate redundancy because the company almost went out of business during the recession. Some of the "public faces" of Digidesign who left were former programmers who had moved up into management but somebody came on the DUC and made it clear they had not been part of the company's actual development team for some time. I double-checked this with a couple old friends from Opcode who knew many of the developers back when Digidesign had been located next door to them. They confirmed there had not been this massive exodus of Digidesign developers that was rumored on the internet.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM

V9 was good in other ways, but in that version the ASIO implementation was extremely finicky on PC. Really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

But even before that you still had to do the optimizations