Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2002, 10:20 AM

Default HELP!!! I NEED ADVICE ON BUILDING A HOME STUDIO

I would like to build a computer based recording studio and I would like to know what are the essential components that I need to get started.
For example:Computer(pc/mac), Software ,soundcard, sampler/sequencer, etc.

I would like to get into song
production,multitrack recording, sampling, sequencing, beat production,etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED ADVICE ON BUILDING A HOME STUDIO

I think that most importent for you is good synth with sequencer and sampler- Korg Triton for example. Then you have to go for pro tools, Logic or Acid software.(Acid only for PC).
Old 07-08-2002, 04:22 PM

Your request is kind of absurd. its like busting into a desntists office and declaring, "I wanna be a dentist, whaddaya gooata do?".
Old 07-08-2002, 05:16 PM

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

IN REPLY TO KAMASUTRA77:

Actually, I am not a total novice to the world of studio recording as you might think. Im way past the 4-track deal. Come on now, give me a break!!! I have a little experience with working with multitrack recorders Analog( Alesis A-Dat) and Digital(Steinberg Cubase). The whole purpose of of a message Board is to share information and provide help and advice for those that need it.

I have been using my current PC(compaq) as a multi-track studio but I have been encountering many problems. This is the reason why I made my initial post. I wanted to know what components are best for computer based recording so that I don't make the mistake of purchasing a bunch of garbage.

Personally, I don't think that my post was silly or stupid at all. I just asked a simple question.

Big thanks to Emsi for helping me out and I would appreciate any one else that can help me rather of posting unintelligent replies such as the one from KAMASUTRA77.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:18 PM

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

IN REPLY TO KAMASUTRA77:

Actually, I am not a total novice to the world of studio recording as you might think. Im way past the 4-track deal. Come on now, give me a break!!! I have a little experience with working with multitrack recorders Analog( Alesis A-Dat) and Digital(Steinberg Cubase). The whole purpose of of a message Board is to share information and provide help and advice for those that need it.

I have been using my current PC(compaq) as a multi-track studio but I have been encountering many problems. This is the reason why I made my initial post. I wanted to know what components are best for computer based recording so that I don't make the mistake of purchasing a bunch of garbage.

Personally, I don't think that my post was silly or stupid at all. I just asked a simple question.

Big thanks to Emsi for helping me out and I would appreciate any one else that can help me rather of posting unintelligent replies such as the one from KAMASUTRA77.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 PM

You question came across as rank amature to me. Im not even going to go into all the possabilities, its all been covered here before.
Sorry but thet was just a dumb question, we all ask em sometimes.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:42 AM

I would try to start with a great sounding space - it's the MOST important thing, because the sound of your room will be on & in every recording you make. If you're mostly doing MIDI & keyboard / sampled stuff it's not very important, but if you're doing real instruments it's everything.

Also have patience buying gear, there's alot of changes just around the corner and you probably want to put alot of research into your buying decisions or you might get your "tit caught in a wringer" as my old man used to say. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best of Luck

Tony
Old 07-11-2002, 07:02 AM

Well, I might start with Pro Tools! LOL.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:56 PM

There're a lot of users who have their own studios here. Most of them have their web sites.
Why don't you visit their web sites before you get started? You may email them personally.
Your question isn't silly at all, but this thread is
already ruined.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 07:36 PM

have a look here

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason