Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Default A little OT: NS10 substitute (w/more lows?)

It used to seem like there was enough lows (80 to 200 range) when monitoring NS10's in studio with them on the console and 8 feet of space behind them.
Since then it seems like when listening out of the bedroom/studio that mixes made in a 11x13 bedroom with the NS 10's within a couple feet of the wall sound like they are a bit murky in that 80 to 200 range

Was there a subwoofer system for NS10's that would address the issues in the 80 to 200hz range?

Is there something that sounds similar to NS10's, but with a bit more lows?

I want something with a bit of high end sizzle like the NS10's as it seems most people listen on systems with high end sizzle and more neutral monitors will result in mixes with too much bite.

Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's are too exagerated in that range (and have even less below it than NS10's)
Though useful as an alternative Mackie 824 originals seem hard to reference in that room with the bass and spitting highs seeming seperate and hard to judge-the fairly deep bass of them obscuring mid/bass and mid/range details that show up when listening elsewhere.(Maybe the room/proximity to the walls of the Mackie makes their lows sound big).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Re: A little OT: NS10 substitute (w/more lows?)

I worked mainly on NS10m's for almost 10 years, always loved how well they translated to other systems. I recently got a pair of Adam A7X's and really like them. Next to my NS10m's they feel tighter in the lower-midrange but the highs and other mids are pretty similar, and they also extend really nicely into the low end w/o a sub.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-aud...7x/description
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM

I´ve been telling from my friends for 10 years, you only need the NS10´s for mixing ( maybe add a subwoofer, I use the cheap Yamaha HS10) ...so I believed them...but I had some cash to spend and bought a pair of PMC TB2SAII and hey... now you can hear 50 percent more of what´s happening in your mixes( all frequencies). It is too early for me to tell if the mixes actually are becoming better now, but compared to NS10´s it is like removing a pair of earplugs.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM

How about doing a little acoustic treatment of the small room you're working in? Muddy low end is typical of listening in small, untreated rooms.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

try the small adams or focals.

in case you want to sell your ns10´s, send me a mail

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM

THE ULTIMATE NS10 SUBSTITUTE-

If you're not opposed to a powered monitor, is the Yamaha HS50m. This monitor has a 5" woofer and GREAT bottom. They also include EQ adjustment switches on the back, according to room position, how near/far you are from a wall, etc. Mine all stay flat. I've been using these now for about 6 months and I SO love them. Very flat response without NOT having a solid low end. Everything I do on them translates to other systems exactly as I hear it on them. There is also a HS80m with an 8" woofer. Haven't heard those though. I do believe the HS series is intended to be the current incarnation of the NS series(similar looks). Whatever the case, excellent monitors and not expensive. Think I paid about $300 for my pair.

As I said these have a really flat response, not a pronounced high end as the NS10s had. How many people remember the tissue over the tweeter in the studio, raise your hands... These monitors seem to have addressed that issue with a more tame tweeter, but very true sounding...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM

I've been doing a few mixes in a studio which has NS-10's and Adams. The NS-10's make you work dang hard and i find the Adams, as good as they are just sound a bit too nice.

Some friends of mine have the Samson Resolv 80a's and as much as i hate Samson, they make me work hard like the NS-10's and translate well in to the real world.

The sub is definitely the next thing on the shopping list.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 PM

I have been enjoying Yamaha MSP-5's. I think they have a frequency response a lot like iPod earbuds, and my mixes translate well. They are pretty well refined, and good recordings sound good on them.

I still need to reference the big speakers (ADAM S3-A's w/sub) for the low end though. But I spend more time on the MSP5's than the S3A's once the basic balances are in place. My NS10's have been retired for a few years...
Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM

You could spend $5k on monitors but if you're sitting in a null in your 11x13 room they still won't tell you what's happening in the low end.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM

If you can afford go with Barefoot MM27. Or the smaller MM35.

For me, MM27 translates perfect AND they sound good!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0