Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2003, 09:26 PM

Default I need a little help with Reason

I have seen a few people ask this question but haven’t seen an answer yet. I want to open Reason with in PT and use a midi keyboard with in Reason. The same way you do when you use it stand alone. PT it seem takes over all the midi ports and doesn’t let Reason use them. I am able to the different modules by assigning them to midi channels in PT. I can then record them as midi data in PT but I want to trigger and record with in reason. That’s was the way I use to do it in Nuendo is it possible to do this in PT?

Lief Stevens
http://www.orangekrushband.com/
Old 12-01-2003, 03:32 AM

Default Re: I need a little help with Reason

IF YOU ARE USING 6.1 YOU CAN OPEN REASON IN PROTOOLS.
1. CREATE A STEREO AUX INPUT TRACK.
2. LAUNCH REASON AS AN INSERT ON THE AUX TRACK. PUT THE INPUT OF THE AUX ON BUS 1AND2 OR ANY AVAILABLE BUS. TURN THE VOLME UP ON THE AUX TRACK. ( REASON SHOWS UP IN YOUR PLUGINS IF YOU ARE USING 6.1 OR ABOVE)
3.ASSIGN THE REWIRE OUTPUT THAT POPS UP IN PROTOLS TOOLS TO MIX LEFT AND RIGHT.
4.CREATE A MIDI TRACK.
5.THEN CREATE A MIXER IN REASON AND A MODULE.
6. AFTER YOU HAVE CREATED THE MODULE ASSIGN THE OUTPUT OF THE PROTOOLS MIDI TRACK TO WHATEVER MODULE YOU CREATED. ( IT WILL SHOW UP IN PROTOOLS)
7. ARM THE MIDI TRACK TO RECORD AND RECORD THE MODULE.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:48 AM

you need to use a port that PT won't steal away when its launched. i don't know why some midi ports work and some don't. i have 4 midi ports and only one works in reason while PT is open - my midiman usb keyboard. the others are soundcards. i don't know if it has something to do with the fact that its usb, but that seems to be the way to go.

musicians friend has 3 usb midi adapters under $40. try one of those. if it doesn't work, you can always return it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...o=asc/sc=price
Old 12-01-2003, 03:46 PM

Thanks da BaSsTaRD I just wanted to Know that it was possible to run it like that. I’ll get a Midiman controller and try it out. Any one know how to make PT not use a midi driver? The one I’m trying to use is on separate sound card (not on the 002 r).

Lief Stevens
http://www.orangekrushband.com/
Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 PM

a really easy way to hook it up is create a stereo aux track, open reason on it. pick the L R mix,
bus it out to a stereo audio track or mono audio track. make sure that audio track has the bus input. and your set. you can change it around after you finish a track you like on reason. just bus it out to a different track with a different bus and the same with a new audio track.