Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Pro Tools LE 7 to 7.3 price is outrageous

I upgraded from PTLE 6.x to 7.x and paid USD 75. Waited for months until I got a version that worked flawlessly (I'm being nice here). Now, they want more USD 49 to go to PT LE 7.3?!?!?!? I think it is outrageous. The users that did not trust digidesign when they lauched 7.0 and waited until 7.3 will be better off (75 dollars) than the ones that bought version 7.0 (124 dollars, total). Annoying. Disturbing. I'm not buying. And that's not because I don't want/need it.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 7 to 7.3 price is outrageous

Your choice.

I don't think $49 is unreasonable for a .x upgrade - especially with all the new features - it's not just a bug fix. I would not be happy if they were making you pay for a bug-fix upgrade, but that's not the case here.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Dont buy it then, simple. Heck I dont know why your even complaining
really. My Cubase 4 cost $200 US.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 PM

I also paid for the 7 upgrade (I'm at 7.1cs10 now) and I did not know that to upgrade from 6 to 7.3 is only 75 bucks! I'm furios! I know that 7.3 includes some new features but to include plug-ins like Time Shift, etc.. as a selling point (when they were free downloads from months back) is a joke. Also many of the new features are for people that invested the money in additional software like the DV Toolkit 2 ($1,295) and if you don't have it then you can't use some of these new features. And while I'm ranting I would be more happy with a Pro Tools version that doesn't have a cs after the version number. One that's not a little buggy! And better phone support that also extends longer than a lousy 30 days! I know companies have to make money and employees have to get paid but it's seem to be the norm these days that more and more companies are giving less or no support and each time they add a number to a software version you pay more and more. It never ends. Always with the promise of better running software with more features. How about ADC, everybody else has it! How about working out the bugs with Dual and Quad Core Mac processors. I have to keep current so I'm forced to keep updating because all the other companies are updating as well. It never stops. I cannot invest in an HD system and I love the Pro Tools LE system I have, so I have to put up with all of it! To put the cherry on top if you would like a physical version of the 7.3 version (which I would), you have to pay another 15 bucks plus tax. So 50.00 plus 15.00 plus tax gets you pretty close to 75.00. It's a joke! Let be honest, there will be plenty of bugs to work out in this version as well!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 PM

hehehe, its actually pretty funny....... I thought this upgrade was going to be free for me, surprise! not if I bought my gear before november 1 2006, being that I got all my gear on march of this year then im not getting the freebie :-(

now about the price disagreement with most of you guys here, well I sympatize with you, you spent money to go to 7.0 and now they offers 7.3, and if you want it, well you gotta pay for it, I know that kinda sucks But then again 50$ is not that much.

Now the upgrades in this version are not really that fantastic, just little things I would say, on the other hand, the time signature change option for midi looks pretty attractive for me, and it just might be enough for me to get me to buy it, Now, this is a new version after all so I see bugs, crashes and stuff like this coming our way, just now you can see posts on this forum of people already having problems with installation, other plug-ins(reason) etc.

so at the end, I guess I'll just wait a little, who knows when are they going to surprise us again with 7.4, not that this is bad though. I just wish they (digidesign) had an open forum where the actual users (all of us all over the world) had a chance to ask for what we would like to have upgrade in their new version!! yeah rite hehehe, but it will be awesome, it will be the "perfect" program somehow. anyways... at the end of the day, Im still a pro tools lover and won't switch to another program....
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM

my opinion about the pricing: you pay for the time you use it.
f.e. i bought ableton 5 and upgraded to 6. i paid more than the people who bought live 6 as newbies. but i'm happy that i had version 5 for a couple of months. it was worth it. i'm not complaining like "i've been a fan of ableton since version 5 so i should pay less". makes no sense.

about the features: yep i also think a lot of the new features are a bit sarcastic. it's a cheap upgrade but you have to buy an expensive toolkit. or sibelius. especially the latter is a joke. but i do like the idea of having right-click functionality.

i'm not buying the upgrade, i'm working more and more with digital performer. maybe i'll do the update from 7.1. to protools 8 in the future. it will be cheaper
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM

You know what? 50 dollars is not much really. BUT: I wouldn't mind paying for a 7.5 or 8 version. Now, they got my 75 dolla for a problematic 7.0, which I and a lot of other users couldn't work with for more than 4 months, due to the HUGE amount of bugs it had, kinds of things that were only solved much later in 7.1 and 7.2 and now they want more money? Make me laugh. Ok, maybe they have to buy Christmas gifts for their children. But not with my money. I do not think the new features justify the extra price. You guys that think otherwise go ahead and support this policy. I won't.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 PM

Did Digi fix the MIDI Beat Clock issue in 7.3? If so, I would plunge into it after the horror bugs of a new release is done, for which Digi seems to be uncanny at providing to us end users.
The arpeggiator of none of my hardware synths--and some soft synths recently--sync to MBC in PT. It seems wierd that they give you these new MIDI features and broken MBC. 'Cause it hasn't worked so far as demonstrated by another post even though Digi claimed that it works flawlessly.
If everything worked rock solid, this new release would be worth. I don't understand why software like Ableton Live comes up as a new release and everything works and all is great. Instead, you see a new PT update and you ask yourself if that's gonna intruduce new bugs?
I agree with Elliot Scheiner that the Nuendo audio engine sounds even better than PTHD but who's the client that's gonna trust me? They all want PT, which shows Digi has spent the money on the right spot, marketing, not certainly optimizing the program so that at least it has only a couple of tiny bugs.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I upgraded from PTLE 6.x to 7.x and paid USD 75. Now, they want more USD 49 to go to PT LE 7.3?!?!?!? I think it is outrageous.
PT7 upgrade was A YEAR AGO and introduced a lot of new features. You have learnt and used the features for a whole year. If it's not money well spent, what is? PT7.3 again now introduced lots of useful features, Universal Binary build not being the least -- and you still whine.

I would have paid 200 dollars solely for the ability to make changes to mixer without stopping playback!! Now it's offered for 49 dollars and you still whine. Unbelievable!

And another thing: Digidesign is not Waves, so you do not have to buy the upgrade. You can choose to skip this one and wait for another 7.x paid upgrade or 8.0 whenever that is going to be released. I did so during ht PT6 era. So I bought 6.0 and got free updates up to 6.4 which I continued to use until they offered the PT7 upgrade with plugin options. I'm happy I did so (because in hindsight IMO 6.7 to 6.9 were not worth upgrading).

Bottom line: You do not have to buy upgrades and you still whine. Buy Waves and you know what upgrading and whining mean.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:24 AM

I am still waiting for that email.