Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Default switching to PC, question about video playback

Well, i will retire my G5 soon and looking to buy a PC as i find the crossgrade PCI-PCIe for my HD2 to be too expensive.
My main concern is about video playback on the PC side. What do you post guy use for video playback SD and HD. I need a robust professional system for post. Can this be done on a PC. I assume ALL functionality on PT8 mac will be the same as on PC like OMF file import.
Lastly, what computer do you guys recommand, i will most likely go with one of DIGI compatible/tested PC, but wich one. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Re: switching to PC, question about video playback

Just Satellite a Le system and use whatever video playback system you would on a mac. I personally use a m box/video card dvi out satellite system.

I've used the HP xw9300. It worked really well but is very loud. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 AM

Default Re: switching to PC, question about video playback

For video playback, I'm using a macbook & PT LE system that in sync with my WinXP-based HD system. OMF file import is also available on Windows, Digitranslator is required for that.

All of the OSX functions are available on PC of course, but you have to get used to different key commands. I am hopping from OSX PT systems to Win systems every day, after a while you get used to it. To avoid additional confusion, I am using a mac keyboard on the Win workstations exclusively.

In regards to stability, I am aware of the fact that some people run into problems with certain computer configurations, yet my supersilent custom ADK intel quadcore system (based on a Gigabyte X38 mobo) runs like a charm even though it's quite an unusual combination (PT HD1Accel + 2x TC PoCo + 2x UAD-1). So, out of my experience, the stability is more or less the same, in the last year I saw more Mac based systems crashing, but that was the time of OSX 10.4

HD Accel 1 (PCIe) + 96 I/O & Apogee Rosetta800
Amek, dbx, Lexicon, SPL, TL Audio, Trident & Urei outboard

Pro Tools HD 8cs2