Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2002, 06:55 AM

Default Anyone using medea audio raid and having pronlems??

Sheesh I thought this product was a godsend until I tried using it heavily.... Everynow and then it just freezes on a particular drive and I am forced to reboodt - Anyone have problems with these drives and pro tools???
Old 07-21-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone using medea audio raid and having pronlems??

Do you mean the audiorack lp? Keep us posted, I'm very interested in this product. If it proves to be problematic, I'll probably go with firewire.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watsolo:
Do you mean the audiorack lp? Keep us posted, I'm very interested in this product. If it proves to be problematic, I'll probably go with firewire.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes I am currently talking with medea support to try and weed out this problem, however suspicions point to an incompatible SCSI controller. I am using the ATTO PCI PSC single channel wide controller with rev 1.66 and EPT 2.7 - In theory it should all work fine but checking on both the digi site andmedea site this controlleris not on the compat list ??? Only the dual channle controller seem to be compatible...Will keep you posted.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:32 AM

I've heard about these issues. This product uses 7,200RPM IDE drives, which interface to SCSI. FireWire uses 7,200 RPM IDE drives, which interface to FireWire. If you're using ProTools LE, then 7,200RPM is fine, and you should just go for FireWire, like DigiDrive, Glyph Companion, or X-Project. If you're using any TDM based ProTools system, and you want maximum track counts and "heavy editing", you should go with a true SCSI subsystem, like the Glyph Hot-Swap TRIP rack I use. It's been flawless. Since audio is seek intensive, the 10,000 and 15,000 RPM Cheetahs can keep up with TDM. SCSI drives (like Cheetahs) cost more than IDE drives, and are entirely different. Both Glyph and Digidesign recommend the dual channel ATTO card, using both channels (busses) to each SCSI drive (or each pair of drives for powerhouse HD). Store in a cool place... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]