Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Default $500 worth it to go from 8 to 10?

Don't take this as a bellyache. All I want is peoples opinions on how much I would get out of the upgrade from 8-10. I use PT for my own music plus some minor post work (short films etc). Sure everyone reckons $300 from 9 to 10 is too much. But I feel like getting all the goodies from 9 aswell might be worth it. My main concerns are really to do with the direction AVID are heading. I can't help but feel that they are going down a bad path and maybe I should look elsewhere. Opinions?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Re: $500 worth it to go from 8 to 10?

Depends....

for HD yes.

for standard.... If you use it 24/7 and can claim it on tax, sure why not. If you are very well off, then I'd get it.

Otherwise I'd wait for PT11.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM

As with all tech products, if you really need it, buy it. If you don't...

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM

or, instead of spending $499 on just a software update, buy an Mbox Mini from Sweetwater for $599 which includes PT9 with free upgrade to PT10, it also includes a new iLok + you get Strike, Velvet, and Eleven LE plugins for free. Not to mention you get the Mbox Mini as well

Then you have a backup interface or use it as your main interface or on a different computer. Or sell the Mbox on eBay for a couple hundred bucks and keep the software.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxMiniPT9/

or maybe you are interested in a Guitar/Bass Amp simulator/Effects box.

Then consider the Eleven Rack for $899 which includes PT9 with free upgrade to PT10, a new iLok, and the Eleven Rack Expansion pack.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRack/

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Cheers Benoni. I actually did the EXACT same thing when I went from 7 to 8 except at the time I needed the mbox mini and still have it. I'll look into that. I wasn't sure if mboxes bought now would have that free upgrade to 10. I thought it would only be on systems bought in the amnesty period.

Do Mbox minis with 9 definitely include a free update to 10??
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Do Mbox minis with 9 definitely include a free update to 10??
Yep. Just make sure you buy from someone who specifically states that on their website (or in store) Otherwise you might end up with a old Mini packaged with PT LE8.

If you buy from Sweetwater you will indeed get PT10 for free. AND if you buy before the end of Nov. or Dec (i don't remember for sure) you get some plugins for free.

I would go with Sweetwater because they will make sure everything is correct, and you can get people on the phone incase something goes wrong.

Just note, you need to buy the Mbox Mini that comes with PT9 ($599). If you just buy the hardware only package ($269), you get nothing for free.

Look at their website:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxMiniPT9/

Also you can look at the PT10 FAQ's:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=419131

Quote:
Q: If I just purchased Pro Tools 9 software or a system that came with Pro Tools 9, do I get a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 too?

A: Yes, it's possible. If you purchased a Pro Tools 9 product or upgrade within the time period stated below, you're eligible to receive a complimentary software upgrade:

You purchased and registered new Pro Tools 9 software (full version) or a product bundled with Pro Tools 9, including the Mbox family or Eleven Rack, on or after October 1, 2011

You purchased and registered a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade on or between October 1–20, 2011

If you're eligible and registered your purchase, you'll receive an email with instructions to activate and download your complimentary copy of Pro Tools 10 software. However, if you purchased a product that included Pro Tools LE, you are not eligible to receive a complimentary Pro Tools 10 crossgrade

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Awesome. One more question. Does anyone know... I live in Australia, If I bought an Mbox mini with PT9 from the US whether from Sweetwater or anywhere else, does the free upgrade still apply? My last Mbox mini I bought from a store in Australia but I just thought I'd see if all the licensing works the same worldwide.

Thanks heaps
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Awesome. One more question. Does anyone know... I live in Australia, If I bought an Mbox mini with PT9 from the US whether from Sweetwater or anywhere else, does the free upgrade still apply? My last Mbox mini I bought from a store in Australia but I just thought I'd see if all the licensing works the same worldwide.

Thanks heaps
Well if you read the FAQ I posted above it says that as long as you buy a Mbox that Includes PT9 and register it ON or AFTER Oct. 1, you are eligible for a complementary upgrade to PT10. Though I am not sure if every retailer also gives you the free plugins - maybe someone else knows.

Again, wherever you buy from, make sure the website/Store states that PT9 is included. If you get a bundle with LE8, then you will need to send it back and get a bundle with PT9, unless of course the retailer has a deal to include PT10 regardless of what version is in the box.

Just take your time and look over the specifications of the bundle before you make an impulse buy.

If you want to buy from Sweetwater and are unsure of anything, then email them or call them and they will answer your questions.

Quote:
International Shipping:
Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are limited in what we can ship outside of the United States. Please call us to find out if the item(s) you are interested in can be shipped internationally. The following are exceptions to this policy (some restrictions apply for these destinations):

Puerto Rico
US Military addresses (i.e. APO and FPO addresses)
Locations that use a US Postal ZIP Code, such as Guam, The Virgin Islands, etc.
Call your Sweetwater Sales Engineer at (800) 222-4700 for more information.

http://www.sweetwater.com/help/shipping-delivery.php#4

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 AM

Its definetly worth it. To me both 9 and 10 are better than any version of LE. From 9 to 10 the difference is not much at all. I got 10 free via student upgrade but if I threw down $300 for it I would have been a little dissapointed, its a $100 upgrade from 9 at the most. As for your recent q I have no idea.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.