Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate I/O, how to remember settings for each session

I recently started working with Dolby Atmos with Pro-Tools ultimate using a 7.1.2 I/O session. Then, when I close that session and open any of my 'in progress' 5.1 surround sessions that I/O is all screwed up as Pro-Tools keeps the I/O from the 7.1.2 session and nothing works. Then, a few times, when I opened a 5.1 session the I/O actually worked correctly, even if I had just closed a 7.1.2 session! So, in view of this, I started saving the I/O for each session so that if it did not work when I re-opened the session, I would just re-import each I/O for each session and everything would be solved right? well NO. Most times this does not work. How can I save the I/O setting for each session so that when I open sessions with different I/O settings I can quickly and without re-bussing and fighting with the I/O make things work? Why can't Pro Tools not remember the I/O settings for each session? If I am working on 7.1.2, and I close the session and open a 5.1 session why is the 7.1.2 I/O opening as part of the 5.1 session which was saved with the 5.1 I/O?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate I/O, how to remember settings for each session

Pro Tools doesn’t keep the IO. It keeps the bus mapping with each session.

Your IO should be designed for the largest format mix you’d be doing. Any smaller sessions would fit within those parameters. 7.1.2> 7.1>5.1>Stereo

Your widest output for your room should then have sub paths for smaller outputs and bus assignments.

You assign your monitoring bus to the appropriate width output.

IO stays the same as designed for the the room. Sessions do not overwrite IO only busses. When you open a different width session merely remap the monitor output bus out the appropriate hardware output path or sub path if PT did not do this automatically based on your bus naming.

Ex. 7.1.2 Monitor. (Sub path) 5.1 Monitor.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Pro Tools doesn’t keep the IO. It keeps the bus mapping with each session.

Your IO should be designed for the largest format mix you’d be doing. Any smaller sessions would fit within those parameters. 7.1.2> 7.1>5.1>Stereo

Your widest output for your room should then have sub paths for smaller outputs and bus assignments.

You assign your monitoring bus to the appropriate width output.

IO stays the same as designed for the the room. Sessions do not overwrite IO only busses. When you open a different width session merely remap the monitor output bus out the appropriate hardware output path or sub path if PT did not do this automatically based on your bus naming.

Ex. 7.1.2 Monitor. (Sub path) 5.1 Monitor.
So it seems by what you are suggestion, that I need to make a new I/O for my studio that has: 7.1.2 I/O with a 7.1 subpath (for 7.1 sessions), a 5.1 subpath (for 5.1 sessions), and a stereo subpath?. I guess I will also have to change the monitor path? all my 5.1 sessions now say 'you have no valid monitor subpath'. Also I guess I have to define the 'map objects to existing path'. The Dolby Atmos templates have their own defined bussing to send objects and beds and return to and from the renderer. So in order to make sure that all sessions work, may beI should create my new studio I/O (as described above) 'in' the actual Dolby Atmos session template since this would be the widest?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 AM

It is unclear if you are using the Dolby RMU or just the Dolby Atmos Production Suite.

If the latter, then you just need to change your monitoring output in Pro Tools to also contain sub paths for smaller width sessions.

Those sessions will have different bussing which will map to the corresponding outputs for monitoring.

The Dolby Atmos template is a good place to start for this.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Why not just click "restore from session" in the I/O page?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Why not just click "restore from session" in the I/O page?
Did that, but it did not restore correctly. I am using the Dolby Atmos Production Suite...I just started to learn it.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:49 PM

So I will try to be more specific about the I/O issue that I am having. My workflow for 12 years has been 5.1 surround so my I/O has always been 5.1 surround with sub-paths for stereo. My monitor path was always assigned to the L/R of the 5.1. When I started to work with 7.1.2 (Dolby Atmos Production Suite), the template created an I/O labelled 'speakers 7.1.2' but it did not work, the template I/O 7.1.2 was grayed out in the I/O output pane of the I/O. I had to manually re-bus things to that the 7.1.2 I/O actually played out of my speakers (I do have the 7.1 speakers + the ceiling speakers). So after a lot of trying an error, the 7.1.2 I/O finally played to my speakers and I could then start working with Dolby Atmos. Everything worked great, including the Height channels. I then closed that Dolby Atmos template and opened up a 5.1 session that I am working on for a film, and the outputs for the 5.1 ofthe film that I have been working for abut 3 weeks, no longer worked at all. All the bussing was wrong and no sound came out of any of my speakers even. I checked the I/Oand the 7.1.2 was still showing as my I/O and was active as it has a check mark/ on the output I/O. However, no sound for my 51 film came out for the 7.1.2 I/O. So that means that I would have to then have to re-bus the 5.1 buss in the bus pane to re-map it to the 7.1.2 I/O. So that worked, but then the monitor I/O no longer worked. After I finally got everything to work on that 'specific 5.1 session of the film", I closed the 5.1 session and re-opened the 7.1.2 Dolby Atmost template (which I had working perfectly) but again it did not work, and the 7.1.2 output was again grayed out. I know I am very new to Dolby Atmos and the 7.1.2 I/O (just starting to learn it) but this seems very crazy. Would it not be much easier is the I/O was always saved with the session? this way, none of this would happen. Or if for some reason it is more convenient to the the I/O not saved with the session and be saved as a 'house studio setting' may be there could be a option that asked: would you lime to save your I/O with your session?