Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Is it safe to load a new show file on an open rig?

Generally we turn on the amps but leave them muted at the controller until the board is up and ready to go. But during a changeover, assuming that all outputs in the current file are muted, and all outputs in the show file to be loaded are muted, will loading that new show file cause any audible output (ie pops or clicks or anything)?

If this is the case, we won't have to bring a second console to our next show which will be very convenient.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Is it safe to load a new show file on an open rig?

It's always good practice to mute your processor or at least the inputs being fed from that console. I've been running Dante straight into Lake for changeover music so console files can be loaded and house stays up. There's always someone who forgets to mute an input or output and then in the middle of the patch guys swapping hoses between splits bam!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Some plugins also tend to pop when loading themselves onto the DSP cards. I recently got a serious kaboom thru the system when hitting undo on the snapshot page. That said I personally almost never go out and mute controller inputs, but when show file is loading I try to hit the mute on the desk in fraction of a second once the file has loaded and I see master mute is off.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
It's always good practice to mute your processor or at least the inputs being fed from that console. I've been running Dante straight into Lake for changeover music so console files can be loaded and house stays up. There's always someone who forgets to mute an input or output and then in the middle of the patch guys swapping hoses between splits bam!
For this show I'll have to just mute the processors briefly during changeovers, but at least I found a new use for our DSP5d which has been collecting dust for the last 2 years. Makes a great Matrix console for festivals.