How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
It all makes sense now! clairvoyant genius!
Looks like my crystal still works
Now if I could only use this clairvoyance to pick six winning lottery numbers and move out of New Jersey and to someplace sane like Vermont

On the serious side it's sad to see how things have devolved over at Plugin Alliance. Dirk has essentially abandoned the site and only communicates through Facebook and even then he only responds to those that are on his side. Anybody that dares to criticize what's going on gets ignored.

QAPLA!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Dirk has essentially abandoned the site and only communicates through Facebook and even then he only responds to those that are on his side. Anybody that dares to criticize what's going on gets ignored.
I was amused how the FB group suddenly got cleaned up of the major criticism posts though the comments in other threads still exist. It's good to be the group admin I guess.

Now it's all fan boy nonsense. "I bought all the PA plugins but this is still a great deal and just signed up."
Does that even make sense... nope.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I was amused how the FB group suddenly got cleaned up of the major criticism posts though the comments in other threads still exist. It's good to be the group admin I guess.

Now it's all fan boy nonsense. "I bought all the PA plugins but this is still a great deal and just signed up."
Does that even make sense... nope.
Thanks for this bit of news - I haven't been on FB for a couple of years for certain reasons not germane here so I'm at the mercy of those who do inhabit it.

QAPLA!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM

This "deal" isn't too bad, as long as you are a heavy hitter and get it for $179 or less. $249 seems a bit much IMO.

I see many people saying this is cheaper than buying.... and it kind of is, but you never own the plugins, so it's kind of not.

Its like the difference between renting a house and buying one.

It would be "cheaper" for me since I want both Diezel amps and all the Ampegs, which would cost $500 (at $99 each), but I wouldn't own the license.

I think people are just tired of getting nickel and dimed with so many subscriptions. You can only have so many recurring payments before it's too much to keep track of.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-20-2019, 02:17 AM

Lets face the reality.
At some point you'll be able to catch a sale and get almost any PA plugin for $25. From the other hand there is no support anymore and PA ignores all your technical tickets regarding bugs e.t.c. So either you are buying a subscription or buying a license, you'll need to re-subscribe / upgrade your license for a fee in order to get newer version and maybe with fixed bugs (not always).
Similar to Pro Tools Ultimate support plan. In 3 years you save enough money for the reinstatement. The psychological aspect is often not taken into account but at the end there is no so much difference between subscription and permanent licenses.
The bad thing with this aggressive marketing is paying no attention to major technical issues.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Some people believe everything is rosy and why should people complain when given a 'best deal ever'? LDS had to attack one's music making and how does this debacle affect it. It doesn't and he shouldn't have said what he did. He apparently doesn't understand what used to be in the PA ecosystem and what happened with this new system and why people are po'd about it.

I guess no one should ever complain about anything and just accept the bowl of gruel they're given when they used to get steak and potatoes.

The problem with complaining is that a lot of it is the result of a person's own propensity not just to gobble down the BS, but to also propagate it. I have followed your thread over on PA since you started it. It doesn't take a particularly keen eye to notice that 70% or 80% of your posts are complaints against PA.

I have never attacked anyone's music-making. That may well be a sore spot of yours rising to the surface, I don't know. If anything, I am attacking your attitude within consumer culture. "Attacking" isn't really the right word, though. I am questioning it. There are plenty of PA users who have replied to your thread with sentiments that I share - PA's issuing of vouchers has never been a guarantee. I don't think you have ever really acknowledged those posts. You seem to just reply to them with another unrelated complaint about PA.

The ecosystem, or the pricing, or the vouchers is never something you or I had any control over. The plugins were the commodity. They always have been. With that in mind - what has changed, Jack? I have collected 50 or 60 tasty little PA steaks over the years. Those tasty little steaks still sit in my plugin list. Where exactly is the gruel?

I think I understand the situation entirely. I wouldn't confuse indifference with ignorance or complacency. You are complaining about 5 words written in a marketing email, about half a page higher than a link that says "unsubscribe". Sound about right? If that is your only complaint... life really IS pretty rosy!

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 07-21-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
The problem with complaining is that a lot of it is the result of a person's own propensity not just to gobble down the BS, but to also propagate it. I have followed your thread over on PA since you started it. It doesn't take a particularly keen eye to notice that 70% or 80% of your posts are complaints against PA.

I have never attacked anyone's music-making. That may well be a sore spot of yours rising to the surface, I don't know. If anything, I am attacking your attitude within consumer culture. "Attacking" isn't really the right word, though. I am questioning it. There are plenty of PA users who have replied to your thread with sentiments that I share - PA's issuing of vouchers has never been a guarantee. I don't think you have ever really acknowledged those posts. You seem to just reply to them with another unrelated complaint about PA.

The ecosystem, or the pricing, or the vouchers is never something you or I had any control over. The plugins were the commodity. They always have been. With that in mind - what has changed, Jack? I have collected 50 or 60 tasty little PA steaks over the years. Those tasty little steaks still sit in my plugin list. Where exactly is the gruel?

I think I understand the situation entirely. I wouldn't confuse indifference with ignorance or complacency. You are complaining about 5 words written in a marketing email, about half a page higher than a link that says "unsubscribe". Sound about right? If that is your only complaint... life really IS pretty rosy!

To begin with I did not start the thread over at GS.

And like a number of people you still don't get what the problem is. It's not about the vouchers and it's not so much about the subscription but about the way PA went about launching this. The bitch is their marketing this as 'the best deal ever' and it's not. Along with a lot of others I/we don't buy marketing BS and that's what PA's emails were. It's not about 5 words but the whole way they're treating their loyal customers.

As far as steaks versus gruel - it goes back to 'the greatest deal ever'. Only a non-critical thinking person would trust that statement. I take everything with a very large grain of salt. And am not afraid/shy about calling out a person or company when they fall way short of their words. If you trust PA's words then you love gruel. Promise me steak and you had damned well better deliver on that. If you don't and fall far short of that you'd better be prepared to take the consequences.

Sure seems like you like PA's 'marketing skills'. A lot of people don't and aren't shy about making their thoughts public. Deal with it.

And as far as PA goes I'm only waiting for the Ampeg B15 due next month.

QAPLA!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
To begin with I did not start the thread over at GS.

And like a number of people you still don't get what the problem is. It's not about the vouchers and it's not so much about the subscription but about the way PA went about launching this. The bitch is their marketing this as 'the best deal ever' and it's not. Along with a lot of others I/we don't buy marketing BS and that's what PA's emails were. It's not about 5 words but the whole way they're treating their loyal customers.

As far as steaks versus gruel - it goes back to 'the greatest deal ever'. Only a non-critical thinking person would trust that statement. I take everything with a very large grain of salt. And am not afraid/shy about calling out a person or company when they fall way short of their words. If you trust PA's words then you love gruel. Promise me steak and you had damned well better deliver on that. If you don't and fall far short of that you'd better be prepared to take the consequences.

Sure seems like you like PA's 'marketing skills'. A lot of people don't and aren't shy about making their thoughts public. Deal with it.

And as far as PA goes I'm only waiting for the Ampeg B15 due next month.

Argh yes, but marketing surely only has as much power as you give it? I'm not defending PA in any way. Simply questioning why critical thought or scepticism didn't lead you to treat a superficial marketing email void of any real detail with the 6 seconds of thought it really deserved? It that regard, your posts read more like 'hook, line & sinker' than a 'very large grain of salt'.

It really is just 5 lines, and life really is still rosy.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Argh yes, but marketing surely only has as much power as you give it? I'm not defending PA in any way. Simply questioning why critical thought or scepticism didn't lead you to treat a superficial marketing email void of any real detail with the 6 seconds of thought it really deserved? It that regard, your posts read more like 'hook, line & sinker' than a 'very large grain of salt'.

It really is just 5 lines, and life really is still rosy.
Really dude. No matter how I try and explain it you'll never get why people are ticked off by what PA has done. Marketing can be pretty damned powerful elsewise people would never go to McDonalds.

QAPLA!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:34 AM

The new tapped Delay that came today ...

$149 with special price otherwise it’s $199 which is FAR too much for that.

Plus you get a Plugin called ”STD” which is .... well kind of funny ey

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————