Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Default OWC Mercury Helios TB2

I just received my Helios TB 2 today and the installation was quick and simple. I also installed a eSata raid card as well. I've been running it for most of the day and it seems to be very stable. My cards perform just as they did in my old Mac Pro. The craftsmanship on this unit is very good. It has 2 pci-e slots not including the one for the thunderbolt card. One of the slots is a an 8x length and the other is 4x both running at 4x speed. The only down side to this unit is that the fan is noisy but, I am replacing it with this unit http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-08-15. It will be very easy to replace. It is the only thing you hear in my control room. I had to do the same thing with my Avid HD I/O and it's very quit now as well. I don't know why these company's won't invest a few dollars more for a quieter fan especially since they know what we buy them for. The new Mac pro has defiantly set a new standard for quiet! I can literally here a pin drop. I just thought I'd give my experience in case others are wondering how this unit stacks up.

Last edited by zion; 10-14-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Re: OWC Mercury Helios TB2

Well! I just installed the new fan today and it only took me about 15min. I didn't even have to splice wires this time because the power cable fit right on. The unit is now whisper quite and my control room is back to the new normal. I'm a happy camper!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 AM

So Zion,

Did you say you were using an HDX card in that box? Does it fit? I thought our only options were the Sonnet or Magma. Is this unit still working for you?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post
So Zion,

Did you say you were using an HDX card in that box? Does it fit? I thought our only options were the Sonnet or Magma. Is this unit still working for you?

Thanks!
Negative, It was an HD Native Card which was sold to the highest bidder. I actually sold it with the Helios 2 as a combo deal. You can go here and see a compatibility chart. https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cent...Compatibility/ According to the chart it looks like it doesn't support HDX.