Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Question Am I an OMNI IDIOT ?

It seems as though my hd omni which I bought used, It was a demo unit, volume knob does not work.
All the functionality of the knob in terms of the setup menu and scrolling features work but when scrolling through the CR numbers it doesn't affect the volume level to the speakers. The mute button doesn't mute the speakers. The mute light goes on and off but it doesn't affect the signal to the speakers.
I updated the firmware for the omni which it had the latest already, I just re-updated it.
I am using it with the HD native card and pro tools 10HD on a macbook pro with osx lion.

So am I missing something or does it seem I need to send this out for repair?

I could be missing something but I can't for the life of me see what it is.
Please help.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Am I an OMNI IDIOT ?

What physical outputs are you using and how is your mixer set up?

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
What physical outputs are you using and how is your mixer set up?

Greg
I am using trs(1/4) out 1&2 of the omni. I'm not using an external mixer. I have hardware set up to send out trs 1&2 straight to my monitors.
I can use the knob to configure line or speaker level but can turn the speakers up or down with the main knob
Using a mixer would solve the problem but I am trying to stay portable and I still need to control speaker level at the Omni
Any ideas
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nneeaall69 View Post
I am using trs(1/4) out 1&2 of the omni. I'm not using an external mixer. I have hardware set up to send out trs 1&2 straight to my monitors.
I can use the knob to configure line or speaker level but can turn the speakers up or down with the main knob
Using a mixer would solve the problem but I am trying to stay portable and I still need to control speaker level at the Omni
Any ideas
Oh also the internal mixer everything is set to go out 1&2 and the only way to control level is with the master fader in the protools mix window which is also assigned to outputs 1&2. Then I have to turn off the automation on my master fader which defeats any fades I had written ect...
Help
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM

How is your monitor path for the Omni set up in the Protools setup window?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM

Depending on how you configure the Omni in the Pro Tools hardware setup window, analog audio can either be routed through the monitor section or directly to the line level outputs. Both will send audio to your speakers, but if you don't route the audio out through the monitor section, it won't be affected by any of the monitor controls.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM

In the Hardware Setup dialog, select the Analog Out page, choose "TRS Mirrors/Analog Out 1 - 2".

In the Hardware Setup dialog, select the Monitor page and create a stereo output assigned to Analog Out 1-2.

On a tracks I/O, choose Stereo Monitor as the output.

Assuming all other settings are default, you should have output via the headphones and TRS 1 - 2. Toggle the volume knob by pressing it to vary CR (Control Room) and HP (Headphone) volume. Make sure the Mute button to the left of the CR/HP volume is not lit.

If you still get nothing from TRS 1 - 2, use headphones to verify instead. If you have signal in the headphones, and the mute is not lit, then something could be defective.

At this point I would try trouble shouting by routing audio to the other 6 audio outputs to verify they do, or don't work.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
In the Hardware Setup dialog, select the Analog Out page, choose "TRS Mirrors/Analog Out 1 - 2".

In the Hardware Setup dialog, select the Monitor page and create a stereo output assigned to Analog Out 1-2.

On a tracks I/O, choose Stereo Monitor as the output.

Assuming all other settings are default, you should have output via the headphones and TRS 1 - 2. Toggle the volume knob by pressing it to vary CR (Control Room) and HP (Headphone) volume. Make sure the Mute button to the left of the CR/HP volume is not lit.

If you still get nothing from TRS 1 - 2, use headphones to verify instead. If you have signal in the headphones, and the mute is not lit, then something could be defective.

At this point I would try trouble shouting by routing audio to the other 6 audio outputs to verify they do, or don't work.
OK Still not having any luck with being abel to mute or turn down my speakers Via the control knob on the HD OMNI

I can get audio in the fallowing configuration

Setup > Hardware > Main
all outputs are 1-8 analog

Setup > Hardware > output > 1-2 TRS is selected reference levels for 1-2 are +10 and all others are +4

Setup > Hardware > monitor >
main set to none foldown set to none
alt set to none
If I set main to stereo and assign 1-2 analog the
1-2 are gone from my mix window.
I go to setup > I/O and 1-2 is unchecked and monitor format is greyed out and I can't select it
I am just confused about this whole thing.
I don't know how I am bypassing the monitor section of the Omni
the mute button and the control knob do nothing to mute or change the level.
Need help !!!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nneeaall69 View Post
OK Still not having any luck with being abel to mute or turn down my speakers Via the control knob on the HD OMNI

I can get audio in the fallowing configuration

Setup > Hardware > Main
all outputs are 1-8 analog

Setup > Hardware > output > 1-2 TRS is selected reference levels for 1-2 are +10 and all others are +4

Setup > Hardware > monitor >
main set to none foldown set to none
alt set to none
If I set main to stereo and assign 1-2 analog the
1-2 are gone from my mix window.
I go to setup > I/O and 1-2 is unchecked and monitor format is greyed out and I can't select it
I am just confused about this whole thing.
I don't know how I am bypassing the monitor section of the Omni
the mute button and the control knob do nothing to mute or change the level.
Need help !!!
I do have audio at all outputs.

I just can't control it from the monitor section
Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Ok i have no audio whatsoever out of the headphone jack. is the there any configuration that I might be missing that would stop the audio from the headphones.
If i Have the mute button on or not I still get audio out 1-2 to the speakers
No audio from headphone jack if mute is on or not

Frustrated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!