How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-19-2020, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Replacing Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... And what comes to CPU speed, better rely on ...
Whatever happened to the ol' DVerb test? I haven't seen anybody talking about it here in a long time.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-20-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Whatever happened to the ol' DVerb test? I haven't seen anybody talking about it here in a long time.
Dverb is so easy on CPU that test has become irrelevant
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
As usual we are on a tight budget.

I'm seeing some discounts on previous gen 15 inch MBP.

I know future proofing would say that we should get the 16 inch (scissor).

Processor?: These days with vanilla PT what's more important 6core vs 8 core or RAM? 16 vs 32?

Anyone have experience making this switch?
Home studio that does not provide for your living.
New Mac Mini maxed out on RAM.

Required to pay your bills, I'll keep my mouth shut.

2018 MAC Mini i7 64 gb
Profire 2626
Presonus Studio 192
Presonus DP88
Pro Tools 2020.11
Big Sur.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM

By the way, if you are afraid of Catalina as I am, buy one off eBay and insist on Mojave. I'm assuming you can no longer get Mojave from Apple.

2018 MAC Mini i7 64 gb
Profire 2626
Presonus Studio 192
Presonus DP88
Pro Tools 2020.11
Big Sur.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
New Mac Mini maxed out on RAM
Second that. I know so many who are struggling with 16GB or even 32GB memory right now and the situation is not going to be easier few years to come. So really think twice what your priorities are, for now I am thinking computer with less than 64GB memory is not worth it even if it was free.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Replacing Macbook Pro

Quote:
Second that. I know so many who are struggling with 16GB or even 32GB memory right now and the situation is not going to be easier few years to come. So really think twice what your priorities are, for now I am thinking computer with less than 64GB memory is not worth it even if it was free.

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement.

I can run PT 2019.5 on an old 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM. 32 tracks with a handful of plugins and it works fine.

Comments like the above need to be taken with a pinch of salt. You cannot make blanket statements like that without disclosing the types of projects you’re working on.

If you’re not using any sample based VIs or caching extremely large projects into RAM, there’s literally no way in the world you’re going to use 16GB RAM let alone 64GB RAM. One could argue that using disk cache isn’t even necessary in this day and age with the speed of disk drives.

Yes, more RAM is always better, but to say you wouldn’t touch a system without 64GB minimum is just crazy unless you specify what exactly you’d need that amount of RAM for. Are you running 50 Kontakt instances? Are you running 20 other applications at the same time?

People should open Activity Monitor and actually see what their Mac is utilising RAM wise. It’s all well and good to plan ahead for the future, especially in the world of soldered in RAM, but something like a Mini or iMac 27” where RAM can be upgraded after the fact, the money might be better spent on something else if you’re strapped for cash and really don’t need the memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 05-20-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:30 PM

I have already commented that VI use and audio only are two totally different beasts
Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I have already commented that VI use and audio only are two totally different beasts

You did and I apologise if it came off harsh.

It’s just something that I see written all the time on forums and it’s just simply not true. Even the usage of the term VI is wrong. A soft synth won’t necessarily chew much RAM. A sample based instrument definitely will.

Again, planning for the future is wise, but at the end of the day, it’s pointless having something if it’s not being utilised. Funds are better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
It’s been quite some time that PT requirements ask for 16GB of memory as a minimum but at the same time they list the 2013/15 Macbook Air as supported computers even though those max out a 8 GB. If the minimum requirement is 16Gb, computers with 8 should be ruled out. Do you have any idea why they keep listing them as compatible with 2019.12?

As an aside, I have an old 2013 MBA with 4Gb ram and installed PT2019.10 on it just for fun. I don’t think I’ll ever use that computer for anything serious but I loaded up the Kelly Malone demo since it only uses the stuff that comes with PT(don’t have much audio-related stuff installed on that computer) and it played until the end just fine. I’m sure it would be hell doing a serious production on this but I was pleasantly surprised it went well.

Blink
Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 AM

Minimum requirement would be the footprint PT takes once started, it is nowhere near 16GB but I can see where the 16GB recommendation comes from. People usually create heavier sessions than the demo session.