Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Cubase 'direct monitoring' with HD Omni ?

Hello Avid,

HD Omni is a great 'output' interface for Cubase/Nuendo but using it to record into Cubase or worse, overdub into a mix, is next to impossible as there is no 'low latency' way of doing this...

Are you at some point (soon?) going to release a driver that will allow me to use HD Omni with Cubase utilizing 'direct monitoring' ?

I'm sure that there are other users using other DAW software that would also like to do the same thing.

Am I missing something or is this 'monitoring' option not available... ?

Thx, kick56
Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Cubase 'direct monitoring' with HD Omni ?

I believe this is done using the mixer function. Set the input(s) that you want in the mixer tab to to the monitor path (or just the headphone path, or both). Pan the inputs as desired in the mixer tab. If recording a mono source using one input, perhaps pan to the center. If a stereo source perhaps left and right, etc. This just determines how you hear it while you're recording.

Then, in Cubase, when you're gonna record, mute the audio track you're recording to, so you don't hear the slightly delayed signal in addition to the direct signal you hear in the headphones, etc.

EDIT: I think what I mentioned above is not how it works, but it may work as a workaround method.

I'm using my Omni in a standalone converter fashion right now, because I don't have a Mac Pro to put my HD Native card into. So I'm not as familiar with all the features of using it with HD Native.

I'm pretty sure the Low Latency monitoring feature is accessed within the Protools I/O setup, and I don't know if this will show up when using it with other software. If that's the case then it's a Protools only feature. But I could be wrong.

But you could try the method above and see if that works.