Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2021, 08:06 AM

Default I want to use my old Pro Tools but I dont have my Mbox Anymore!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to use my Pro Tools 11 from a while back and when I tried to start it up with my iLok, Pro Tools gave me an error at start up saying I needed to connect my Mbox. Unfortunately I've sold it years back and don't have it anymore. So my question is, is there a way to convert my Pro Tools to a stand alone DAW? or is there an easy affordable upgrade so I could use the Pro Tools once again?

Thank you!!
Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Re: I want to use my old Pro Tools but I dont have my Mbox Anymore!

Welcome to the community.

Are you sure it's v11? We added standalone functionality in Pro Tools 9, so Pro Tools 11.x should run on your computer's built-in hardware or third party interface. See avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/Pro-Tools-won-t-recognize-my-interface for more info and reply with your computer, OS, etc. if unable to solve it.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:54 AM

I just have a PC with windows 10. I dont have any interface currently... I've sold all my recording equipment a few years back. I now have a humble USB microphone and wanted to record some stuff with my old Pro Tools. So I dont have an interface or any built-in hardware. Is it possible to use Pro Tools.
This is what i see in my products (the pro tools academic isnt something i own though)
And im quite sure ive upgraded to Pro Tools 11 back in the days. It's been so long so I'm sorry for the lack of information!

Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbyl View Post
...This is what i see in my products...
Got it, but what version do you actually have installed and are trying to run?
Old 01-19-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Got it, but what version do you actually have installed and are trying to run?
I've downloaded directly from the "Pro Tools 11.0 (No contract)

Pro Tools 11.3.1 Installer (Win) (1.08 GB)

I've uninstalled but I'll reinstall and show you the error message!
Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Pro Tools 11.3.1 doesn't require an Mbox, but also was not tested/qualified on Windows 10, see avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Pro Tools 11.3.1 doesn't require an Mbox, but also was not tested/qualified on Windows 10, see avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart. I'll get a support case going to track your issue.

so this is the error message I get!
So maybe its not precisely the MBOX i need but some sort of hardware?
Old 01-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbyl View Post
... I now have a humble USB microphone and wanted to record some stuff with my old Pro Tools. So I dont have an interface or any built-in hardware...
Hmmmm... what exact USB mic? Did you install drivers for it? See this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=330376
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM

So it's not looking specifically for your Mbox, but Pro Tools needs audio hardware to run. Try launching with the N key down to get to the Playback Engine window to see if you can select your USB mic (you might need a driver for that). Otherwise perhaps try ASIO4ALL to use the computer's built-in audio hardware. See avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/en380919 and avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/How-to-use-Pro-Tools-and-ASIO4ALL (but you'll still likely have issues running PT11 on Win10).
Old 01-19-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So it's not looking specifically for your Mbox, but Pro Tools needs audio hardware to run. Try launching with the N key down to get to the Playback Engine window to see if you can select your USB mic (you might need a driver for that). Otherwise perhaps try ASIO4ALL to use the computer's built-in audio hardware. See avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/en380919 and avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/How-to-use-Pro-Tools-and-ASIO4ALL (but you'll still likely have issues running PT11 on Win10).
OH MY GOODNESS! Installing the ASIO4ALL completely fixed my issue!! Thank you so much