Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Projector recommendations in studios? Please help me

Projectors. They're a can of worms I agree, but I've recently updated my studio with a nice perf screen to dispatch the Sony 55" TV that I've used for a while with my surround setup. Always had the problem of centre speaker placement and a TV set floating above. So replacing the TV with a perf screen for the LCR array to fire through is great for sound as the speakers are not firing to the backs of my LCD monitors.

Genlocked system here and I've been lucky with the TV in that using game mode for a "low latency" picture, allows me a small (4 qtr frame) video offset in PT HD and this tests nicely with my Sync One2 box with a solid zero offset. Got lucky there.

The projector I'm currently trying is a decent HD Laser short throw AppoTronics 3000 lumen, but this is currently not playing nicely with 23.976 movies, it seems to me that this projector is set up for true 24P, 25i/p and 29.97i but not playing well with 23.976P. Also has a "not quite 'on" latency that I cannot adjust my way around without having to use delay on the monitor chain to tuck it in to exact sync. Currently using my HD Omni as the monitor controller (7.1 only), so I'm trying to stay away from having to buy another controller that could allow me a b-chain lip-sync delay.

What are other folks using for projectors currently? I've had good luck with Sony gear in terms of LCD TV's but not tried their projectors. I'm liking the grunt and brightness of the short throw close to my screen but don't like the (pretty low) fan noise in front of me. It's tolerable on the job I'm on presently as my cutting room has a bit of ambient AC noise. But when I shift my setup back home to my studio there, I have a machine room for all whirring gear and it's deathly quiet in there. Great for cutting but you hear any bit of gear that makes noise.

Does anyone here have any experience and or suggestions with modern (2018) projectors, either short throw or standard throw machines? I'm after full compatibility with any picture playback rate, solid sync and low operating noise?

Any thoughts most gratefully appreciated!!

Ray Beentjes
Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Projector recommendations in studios? Please help me

It's been out for about 6 years, but I am pretty happy with the Panasonic AE8000u. Less than $2K USD. For that money, it's a good projector. Handles 23.98 all the time.

It's not quiet, but it is not super loud either. Runs hot. Mine is in a giant doghouse with an exhaust fan.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 AM

EPSON EH9200TW.
Got mine for 2 years now. Directors and producers ask me if what they see is a DCP.
Very quite in the Eco mode. Never use it in normal mode because the reason above.

Having said that, you need to search the market as I am sure there are better projectors coming each year.
Look at Epson, Panasonic, Sony brands. Buy those above $2500 as the difference is huge comparing to cheaper projectors.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-04-2018, 03:26 AM

Thanks folks. Really appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Ray
Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 PM

I've had about 5 projectors over the years; including the Panasonic mentioned above. The Panasonic is one of the best 'pro quality' projectors available for a decent price.

That said, lag is a big deal for me, because I edit fast. So my new projector is a BenQ HT2150ST. It's their 'gaming' projector. If you set it up correctly, it looks great and refreshes fast. Really fast. Google it.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment

Last edited by lucienpalmer; 08-05-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I've been using a Panasonic PT-AR100 that is 5 years old and I am very happy with it.
It's reasonably quiet, especially if the room's ambient lighting can be controlled.
Paid 3800NZD at the time.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 AM

When you choose one, make sure to take the throw distance from the projector to the screen and calculate what size picture it’s able to make. All projectors are different. Location is one of the trickiest things to figure out. Some manufactures have online calculators to see if it’ll fit your room.

Location is also important because of noise. Some projectors get really loud, so you might need to build a hush box.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

One of the A/V forums I had stumbled on had a cool interactive calculator for the distance measurement per size of screen and projector specs.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app