Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Default HUI issues 8.03

Hi
We use a HUI based control surface that was working fine in 8.01, but seems to have a few issues in 8.03.

1, you can no longer use modifier keys with the keypad to open windows. ie command-keypad4 no longer opens the automation enable window.

2, stuck meters and more. We will routinely get stuck meters, eventually followed by the console beginning to go "wacky", where as solo and cut lights flash on and off as they please, random center section lights go on and off, and faders move themselves at will. This ensues over the course of an afternoon session, and it is triggered by adding and deleting tracks in Pro Tools. The easiest way to test this is to play back audio, stop audio, and delete a track. The meters on the HUI device gets stuck immediately.

The only way to fix this is to power cycle my midi interface and the console.

Anyone else having this issue? It's driving me crazy.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Re: HUI issues 8.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
Hi
We use a HUI based control surface that was working fine in 8.01, but seems to have a few issues in 8.03.

1, you can no longer use modifier keys with the keypad to open windows. ie command-keypad4 no longer opens the automation enable window.

2, stuck meters and more. We will routinely get stuck meters, eventually followed by the console beginning to go "wacky", where as solo and cut lights flash on and off as they please, random center section lights go on and off, and faders move themselves at will. This ensues over the course of an afternoon session, and it is triggered by adding and deleting tracks in Pro Tools. The easiest way to test this is to play back audio, stop audio, and delete a track. The meters on the HUI device gets stuck immediately.

The only way to fix this is to power cycle my midi interface and the console.

Anyone else having this issue? It's driving me crazy.
Lot's of detail except for the most important ones.

What interface/console/OSX/Mac are you using?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Using a MOTU midi interface with an SSL Duality. Also tried over IPMidi with the Duality and it has the same problem.

Are you using a HUI control surface in 8.03 without these issues?

I've been discussing with SSL but they have been no help thus far.

OS 10.5.8, PT 8.03cs2, Mac Pro 2.8 8 core

thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
Using a MOTU midi interface with an SSL Duality. Also tried over IPMidi with the Duality and it has the same problem.

Are you using a HUI control surface in 8.03 without these issues?

I've been discussing with SSL but they have been no help thus far.
I am. Just a crappy little BCF2000, but I've used other HUIs with no dramas, as well.

Are there any drivers to speak of for any of these devices? Firmware? Are they all up to date?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 AM

UNO1234:
How stable and clean is your AC power? Also, is the AC ground okay? I've seen some of the strangest computer and peripheral problems crop up due to AC power problems.

Another thought: if you have more than the base 24 channels there was some assembly required with cables being connected and so on. You may want to revisit this and re-seat/disconnect-reconnect all cables between all the units. While you're inside you may want to re-seat any and all boards and connections.

Third thought: any humidity problems? That will drive electronics nuts, particularly something with touch sensitive circuitry.

Also, you're in SSL's North American backyard - NYC. They should be able to have a company rep come out and take a look at your situation. Here's their local number: (1)212 315 1111

QAPLA!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 AM

Here's something I found with my HUI devices... temp kills. Every Feb and March, my HUIs went bananas in the morning sessions. And over the day, they got better. It's pretty cold in the studio overnight (40-50 degrees) that time of year. So the gear was cold in the AM when I got out there.

One day, in the morn when all was cold, I swapped in some warmer (from home) USB/connect cables. Problems disappeared. Took the warm ones out, threw em in the cold for 20 min... reconnected them, and the problems returned.

I keep the heat up a bit a night now, and the problems have ceased. Until, that is, 80 people pile in the control room for extended playback. As soon as it gets above X degrees in there, problems arise with the HUI (and other things).

THe stuff seems very temp sensitive.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2018.3.
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.