Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-03-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Should I buy an Mbox???

Hi,

I am a digi001 user, who wants a mobile recording setup. I purchased my digi001 almost three years ago and to this day I only use one audio input for my synth and another for my mic plus the midi in. Plus the monitor outs for my Reveals. I currently use a G4 power mac. I am really pleased how it performs and the sound quality is great. However I feel it's a waste that I don't use half of the inputs and outputs when I can have something mobile and small because I really dont have space for a lot of junk including monitors. Ive been reading reviews on the Mbox and I am having diffuclties understanding the monitoring and latency issues. Basically I just want to record audio and midi tracks one at a time. I want to know if i'll be able to use some small edirol monitors(digital speakers) to listen to everything thats going on in pro tools while I record. Is it true that the Mbox dosen't have a volume control? Will the latency issue hinder the way I work? I understand I'll need a midi interface. I will be using the Mbox on my powermac G4 in the meantime, until I purchase a powerbook. How do some of you use your Mbox, and how satisfied are you with it? I'd appreciate any words of advice before I end up taking the plunge. Thanks in advance!

Eddie
Old 03-03-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Should I buy an Mbox???

Hi!
I'm a former digi 001 user too. I think the mbox is better. It sounds better than 001. When you record audio, you can record (whithout realtime plugins) whith zero latency. This is the greatest, if your a player who thinks time is important! Whith midi (I use a emagic mt-4 whithout any problems) you'll have a little more latency than with the 001. 256 samples is cool (5.8 ms) 512 samples is also cool for me, but I'm no pianoplayer. You can insert a compressor, straight to the preamp. A cool mbox feature only. I don't miss the 001. And I would not trade my mbox for a 002. That's how happy I am with it!!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM

I bought a Mbox. I also bought Logic 6. When mobile If i have a heavy audio session its Pro Tools so I carry the Mbox. If I have intense mobile midi editing needs then Logic 6 (a pair of headphones and XSKEY). I have no problem carrying the Mbox in my Laptop case. I have concern about its durability. I am leaning toward Logic more because I plan to buy a Remote 25. There are some nice audio cards such as http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/IndigoIO/index.php for a Powerbook that would work with Logic for adding input and ouput. Quite honestly, I prefer both platforms and enjoy working with each.

Latency is workable with the Mbox. Yes you need a additional midi interface, cables, mics, controller, speakers, etc....etc...

If you are mobile on the ground it makes a difference too as you can bring more stuff than if you fly like I do.

Pro Tools is great for audio and Logic is great for midi.....now if I could just get the IAC bus working!

its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43
Old 03-03-2004, 05:44 PM

For mobile mbox is great... you can run more plugs on the digi 001 though.. I have a brand new mbox?? wanna trade??