Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-17-2004, 04:37 PM

Default .midnam for ROLAND XP-80

Hello all...

I am a ProTools LE Digi 002 Rack user in need of a .midnam of my ROLAND XP-80 Workstation.

Can anyone help???

You can reply directly @ ajp32746@yahoo.com

Thanks,

AJP

A. J.
Published Songwriter
TonyLove Music, BMI
Old 05-18-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Re: .midnam for ROLAND XP-80

I think you can use the .midnam for the the Roland JV-1080. If I remember correctly the factory patches are identical between the two units.

Scott
Old 05-18-2004, 12:55 PM

Scott, THANKS A BUNCH for replying to this thread so quickly... I will look into this further (i.e. try using the .midnam for Roland JV-1080 as you mentioned). Thanks again for the useful information. I will post a follow-up with my results

A. J.
Published Songwriter
TonyLove Music, BMI
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 PM

You're certainly welcome. Let me know if it works.

Scott
Old 05-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Hello, Scott... I have been working with the file you suggested as well as one that was sent to me by Andrew Kawamura from Skyward Studios. Both files look good, though very different in setup. Strangely enough, I seem to be getting a "instrument parsing error message" when I am trying to load both files? Any suggestions? I have opened it up and am trying to look for typo's or name inconsistencies with my keyboard, but have had no luck finding anything significant to through things off?

Thanks for sharing this file as well as any further information you might be able to suggest

A. J.
Published Songwriter
TonyLove Music, BMI
Old 05-20-2004, 11:45 AM

One thing I remember is that if you're going to use the JV-1080.midnam file, you can't name that device something else in the Audio/MIDI utility. Or else you have to edit the device name in the .midnam file. In other words, if you add a new device, and call it XP-80, but then select the JV-1080.midnam to go with it, you will get an error message when you try to use the patch names in Pro-Tools. But you can either:

a) Just call it a JV-1080 and know that you mean XP-80

or

b) Use a text editor to modify the .midnam file. I think there is a section near the beginning of the file that has a description of the manufacturer and model of the device. If you change the model to XP-80, then you can call the device XP-80 in the Audio/MIDI setup. (If I were you I would make a duplicate of the .midnam before fooling around with the text, that way, in case anything gets fouled up you can start over again with the fresh file.)

I'm going by memory here, it's been over a year since I did this stuff for my own sytem, so I really hope I'm not forgetting a step or misdiagnosing your problem. Let me know if this helps. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Thanks a bunch for your assistance and patience in answering my questions, Scott... I have tried as you suggested, as well as what Andrew from Skyward Studios has recommended with the midnam files you both have shared with me or suggested I use, but I am still not having success? I have even tried creating my own files using pieces from both, double-checking the coding and xml, as best I could with my limited knowledge of this and from what I have since read up on regarding this information, but still zip, zero, nada?

My errors consitently being either:

"ProTools could not find appropriate patch names in the currently selected patch name document because either manufacturer/model information or instrument mode do not match"

or

"...an unknown error occured while attempting to parse this instruments patch name document."

I welcome any further tips, comments or advice you or any other user may wish to further share with me in the hopes I can resolve this slight setback.

Thanks so much for your time, as always,
Anthony J

PS: Just in case anyone is wondering, I am Mac based, not pc, should that change the way I should be handling these .midnam files?

A. J.
Published Songwriter
TonyLove Music, BMI
Old 05-21-2004, 03:57 PM

I read the threads for this issue and I am experiencing the exact same thing with my XP-80.

Have you figured out how to fix the problem??

Let's beat this thing...
Old 05-21-2004, 06:20 PM

I have received some helpful assistance and recommendations as you can see from the threads, but unfortunately I am still having the same problems... Andrew and Scott (among others) have both been nice enough to walk me through a few possible solutions, but the same errors keep occuring.

I will continue to post this thread until I am able to find a resolution. If I find one on my own I will post it as well, so check back... In the meantime, please feel free to share any information you might find helpful should you come across anything that might aid us to piece together a solution... Us XP-80 users have to stick together, as we are a dying breed (move over XP-80 here comes Triton)...

Think Positive...

A. J.
Published Songwriter
TonyLove Music, BMI
Old 05-23-2004, 09:17 PM

I have been using single bank files for my XP-80. Never got around to making one file work.....

I just load a bank in (128) I want....PRA whatever and then manually switch my keyboard....shift 0,1,2....

works ok ....but I will look into combining all the files into one.....so if you want just seperate working user.midnam, pra.midnam, prb.midnam prc.midnam....etc...etc... files...email me.

Twinstream
its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43