Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Setup and Playback Issues (threads merged)

If there's an Avid tech reading this please call me now! This isn't funny unless I can personally figure this out. My whole work weekend is lost! Not too mention since I've had this problem for days now!

This is going to be a long message!

I can NOT hear any sound thru my monitors. Only thru my headphones.

This is the 2nd time I had an Avid tech trouble shoot over the phone and and still I have NO sound!
And now its Friday night and I wont hear back till Monday! And that's if I'm lucky and the way they get back to us I wont hold my breath!!!

He even said it sounds like a bug with Pro tools 11. He talked with is senior tech advisor and I'm still sitting here wasting my life away with Avid!!

I have a PC. I have pro tools 11.0.2

I have a Rosetta 200 linked with Big Ben clocking running SPDF cables to and from Rosetta 200 in and out of my Mbox 2 pro.

He created a stereo AUX track and assigned I/O s to this so I can hear the Rosetta conversion thru Mbox 2 Pro headphones he told me I always have to do it this way. Also when he set my I/O configuration he even labeled input and output to a specific name to make it real easy to remember. I even saved his I/O settings. I exported this template. I import this saved template and it still doesn't work. I only get sound thru headphones NO monitors!!!

Anyone please help me with correct I/O settings to hear Rosetta 200 conversion thru my Monitors and headphones!

Thank you
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Default Re: I/o nightmare! Again! Even with avid tech helping me 4 the 2nd time!!!

calm down I just know they will get back to you and fix it
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Re: I/o nightmare! Again! Even with avid tech helping me 4 the 2nd time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
calm down I just know they will get back to you and fix it
That's easy for you to say.

Im the one sitting here day after day losing out on precious time and money. Why wasn't it fixed right the first time and now the second time? Now I'm going on a third time.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM

I can't offer specific help but I had an absolutely confounding problem when I first installed PT 11 on a PC. A very powerful computer couldn't pass audio without all sorts of dropouts. Recording was totally unusable. The problem was related to a RAID controller on my motherboard. I posted on here looking for help and received a number of suggestions but the solution was very unexpected.

I use other DAWs in my job so I couldn't do radical experiments while I have jobs on the books and I had to be patient. Eventually I had a couple days without bookings and had just completed a large project so I had some time to get me hands dirty. I removed the drives from the RAID cage and disabled the raid controller in the BIOS. I installed a normal HDD, rebooted and then launched PT 11. Everything worked PERFECTLY!!! I was so pleased to have identified the issue.

As anxious as I was to get started with Pro Tools I was going to have to research the situation because I use the RAID with video editing work. I removed the test HDD, re-enabled the RAID controller, installed the drives and set things up like they were before until I came up with some other solutions.

I had another engineer in my studio and was telling him of my issues and discoveries and open PT to demonstrate the problem. Lo and behold! It worked perfectly!!! I was so surprised but also happy because it meant I could get on with using it.

The moral of this story is that something about the installation of PT didn't jibe with the RAID controller but when I disabled it and then re-enabled it things seemed to have reconfigured themselves correctly. I would suggest you might try disabling your devices, removing them and then reinstalling them again. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence that this might be helpful but you've got a couple days to wait.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheB View Post
I can't offer specific help but I had an absolutely confounding problem when I first installed PT 11 on a PC. A very powerful computer couldn't pass audio without all sorts of dropouts. Recording was totally unusable. The problem was related to a RAID controller on my motherboard. I posted on here looking for help and received a number of suggestions but the solution was very unexpected.

I use other DAWs in my job so I couldn't do radical experiments while I have jobs on the books and I had to be patient. Eventually I had a couple days without bookings and had just completed a large project so I had some time to get me hands dirty. I removed the drives from the RAID cage and disabled the raid controller in the BIOS. I installed a normal HDD, rebooted and then launched PT 11. Everything worked PERFECTLY!!! I was so pleased to have identified the issue.

As anxious as I was to get started with Pro Tools I was going to have to research the situation because I use the RAID with video editing work. I removed the test HDD, re-enabled the RAID controller, installed the drives and set things up like they were before until I came up with some other solutions.

I had another engineer in my studio and was telling him of my issues and discoveries and open PT to demonstrate the problem. Lo and behold! It worked perfectly!!! I was so surprised but also happy because it meant I could get on with using it.

The moral of this story is that something about the installation of PT didn't jibe with the RAID controller but when I disabled it and then re-enabled it things seemed to have reconfigured themselves correctly. I would suggest you might try disabling your devices, removing them and then reinstalling them again. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence that this might be helpful but you've got a couple days to wait.

Good luck!
Thank you for the good will.

Avid tech and I checked to make sure my Rosetta 200 and my Big Ben is working correctly. It is. Theres nothing else I can do. I don't use drivers for my Rosetta 200 and Big Ben. Only Mbox Pro 2 and this works correctly too.

This is strictly a FAIL on Avids internal routing.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 AM

There is a modifier (can't think of it right off, win key possibly) that will import all the sections of your I/O at once, otherwise you must do each page individually. Input page-import, output page-import, buss page-import, inserts page-import. I bet money the problem is in the buss page. It would really benefit you to take the time and really learn how the I/O pages work. It is definitely got issues IMO and I don't like the Inputs being in the buss page as it creates issues all the time, but once you learn it, it's easy to use, just annoying!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There is a modifier (can't think of it right off, win key possibly) that will import all the sections of your I/O at once, otherwise you must do each page individually. Input page-import, output page-import, buss page-import, inserts page-import. I bet money the problem is in the buss page. It would really benefit you to take the time and really learn how the I/O pages work. It is definitely got issues IMO and I don't like the Inputs being in the buss page as it creates issues all the time, but once you learn it, it's easy to use, just annoying!!
Hold "option" then click "import"
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM

You didn't happened to upgrade while in the middle of a project did you?
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
You didn't happened to upgrade while in the middle of a project did you?
Hi

No I didn't.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Hi

Thank you for the short cut.

I've been trying to learn the I/O settings just when I think I know it. I don't.

GREAT!!!!!!!! I UPDATE TO PRO TOOLS 11.1.2 FIRST IT FROZE ON YES CHANGING MY I/O SETTINGS JUST ON MY OUTPUT TRACK!
I FINALLY GOT IT WHERE I CAN AT LEAST TRY TO WRITE A NEW SONG LISTENING ONLY THRU MY HEADPHONES AND NOW I HAVE NO VOLUME CONTROL IN MY PHONES ON MY AUDIO TRACK WHERE I HAVE A SCRATCH VOCAL TRACK. I CAN CONTROL VOLUME ON MY INSTRUMENT TRACK.

NO I STAND CORRECTED NOW I HAVE NO LEVEL ON MY INSTRUMENT TRACK BUT I HEAR GUITAR COMING THRU THIS AUX TRACK THE AVID TECH CREATED YESTERDAY! USELESS!!

HOW DOES ANYONE GET ANY WORK DONE THESE DAYS WITH PRO TOOLS IS BEYOND ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry after I wrote all this I see it was in caps. I'm too tired to rewrite it all.

Last edited by shamanrock; 02-09-2014 at 05:39 PM.