Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Mbox (3) Hardware Expansion Options

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've searched and searched the internet and can't seem to find a succinct answer.

How can I expand my Mbox 3? How can I take advantage of the s/pdif inputs? If I add a pre amp to any of the inputs can I record each of the pre amps inputs on separate tracks? Is there a specific adapter I need to do any of these things? Do I need to forget the Mbox 3 and start with a different device?

If you can help, thanks.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Mbox (3) Hardware Expansion Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidisinla View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've searched and searched the internet and can't seem to find a succinct answer.

How can I expand my Mbox 3? How can I take advantage of the s/pdif inputs? If I add a pre amp to any of the inputs can I record each of the pre amps inputs on separate tracks? Is there a specific adapter I need to do any of these things? Do I need to forget the Mbox 3 and start with a different device?

If you can help, thanks.
Anything with S/PDIF should connect to S/PDIF. You only need S/PDIF cables. It's 2 I/O. So, you can record 2 seperate channels or a single stereo channel.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks. I am not finding many preamp options with the s/pdif outputs -- at least not at a price that doesn't mean I should have just bought the Mbox pro or 003 to begin with or now. I guess I'm primarily looking for a two in/two out electric guitar preamp that would allow me to use the s/pdif leaving the two XLR inputs for mics.

Not a huge deal but the box isn't really able to handle what the GC salesman said it would handle (four inputs) unless I figure out how to use the s/pdif for something useful (to me.) I have to change setups and record a bass, electric guitar, vocals, and acoustic guitar separately. Not really what I had planned for me plus three friends playing for fun.

Anyone ever used a mixer and just mixed a bunch of tracks into one or two tracks using the XLRs? Is that a viable option?

Any suggestions or a you're out of luck bud would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I am not finding many preamp options with the s/pdif outputs -- at least not at a price that doesn't mean I should have just bought the Mbox pro or 003 to begin with or now. I guess I'm primarily looking for a two in/two out electric guitar preamp that would allow me to use the s/pdif leaving the two XLR inputs for mics.

Not a huge deal but the box isn't really able to handle what the GC salesman said it would handle (four inputs) unless I figure out how to use the s/pdif for something useful (to me.) I have to change setups and record a bass, electric guitar, vocals, and acoustic guitar separately. Not really what I had planned for me plus three friends playing for fun.

Anyone ever used a mixer and just mixed a bunch of tracks into one or two tracks using the XLRs? Is that a viable option?

Any suggestions or a you're out of luck bud would be appreciated.
Well, a popular S/PDIF preamp is the API A2D. Quite a nice piece of gear with both high end pres and high end clocking for the price of either or. You're right, there aren't a lot of S/PDIF options that are in the lowball price range. Even a mixer wouldn't exactly be cheap...

If your issue is I/O... you're probably better off getting something with more. Considering the recent release of Pro Tools 9... there is a plethora of affordable interfaces with plenty of inputs available for the price (or even lower) than the MBoxes. The 2626, for example, can be found for around $500 and will give you 26 I/O with 8 pres already built in.

D

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM

For SPDIF inputs, I also recommend the API A2D(if you can afford it). If that's too much $$, then look at the ART Digital MPA(around $400 and quite decent).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Thanks. It's looking more and more like changing my interface may be the best way to go.

So with PT9, what are the constraints to what interface I can hook to a Mac? If anyone knows where to point on the avid site that would be great too. I couldn't find anything specific. And that could be a preamp with many i/o or a mixer/preamp with many i/o? Suggestions in the $500 range?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It's looking more and more like changing my interface may be the best way to go.

So with PT9, what are the constraints to what interface I can hook to a Mac? If anyone knows where to point on the avid site that would be great too. I couldn't find anything specific. And that could be a preamp with many i/o or a mixer/preamp with many i/o? Suggestions in the $500 range?

Thanks for the help.
There aren't really any constraints, beyond that an interface can use up to 32 I/O.

M-Audio 2626 can easily be had for $500. Has 8 preamps, 16 channels of ADAT and 2 S/PDIF. Total of 26 I/O.

D

Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 AM

+1 for the M-Audio 2626, or the Focusrite Liquid Pre Saffire 56.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Avid

I checked out a 2 channel mic pre from Audient called the Mico - really nice piece if you're looking for a mic pre that has a lot of different 'flavors' that can be dialed in.