Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Angry ILOK gone wild

HI

I'm running XP SP3 on a P5B-e/Intel E6600/4Gb RAM - 003.
7 days ago, I've formated my computer, installed latest drivers...older drivers..any driver I found but still can't make the ILOK work..
I get the same windows error over and over and I don't know what to do anymore to make it work.
Windows says: "cannot start this device (code 10)"

Than if I pull out the ILOK and back again..it works! But if I start PT, it goes off.

Any Ideea PLEASE!

Regards
Oliver

Last edited by oliver sterian; 02-11-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: forgot the 003.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Re: ILOK gone wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver sterian View Post
HI

I'm running XP SP3 on a P5B-e/Intel E6600/4Gb RAM - 003.
7 days ago, I've formated my computer, installed latest drivers...older drivers..any driver I found but still can't make the ILOK work..
I get the same windows error over and over and I don't know what to do anymore to make it work.
Windows says: "cannot start this device (code 10)"

Than if I pull out the ILOK and back again..it works! But if I start PT, it goes off.

Any Ideea PLEASE!

Regards
Oliver
Try a different USB port?

Verify the problem exists on another computer to determine if its the iLok or your computer.

Try disconnecting any unneeded USB devices to attempt to determine if its a situation where some other device is using so much power that the iLok cant get enough to run properly.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 AM

I've tried all usb ports, ILOK works fine on my other machine and on my laptop, no other USB device is conected.
No IE8
Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I've tried all usb ports, ILOK works fine on my other machine and on my laptop, no other USB device is conected.
No IE8
Thoughts?
Short of completely removing any PACE drivers and iLok drivers and rebooting? Uninstall them seperately and reboot several times as it may take 2 reboots to complete unload the drivers. Then reinstall them. seperately. Rebooting between installs.

My personal feeling is that its probably a driver issue. In rare circumstances the Windows Unistaller will miss files that were installed before a Service Pack update. Manually deleting and Pace and iLok folders after uninstalling the drivers may remove any strays and using the Windows Search function to find any orphan files and delete them. Running a registery cleaner like CCleaner from Piriform may help. Revo Uninstaller may help. Both are free downloads

You reset or change any BIOS options lately? Suffer a power surge that would have reset some BIOS options?

A Code 10 is pretty much a driver issue although I have seen it an instances were a device needed more power than the bus could supply to fire it up.

You might try expanding the USB Root Hub that its connected to in Device Manager and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" but thats a VERY long shot.

Try a powered USB hub if you have one sitting around.

I'm guessing its NOT the iLok since its fine on your other machines.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM

I did the clean install and careful uninstall. I even formated drives a few times just to be sure I start over clean.
Thing is.. I did upgraded Bios and I'm afraid that I shouldn't have.

This machine worked perfect for 6 months and then suddenly got broken.

Err.. Should the Ilok folder (in c:\Program files\ilok) contain any files after drivers installation?? There's nothing there?!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM

And thank you for the input.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM

If you think the Bios upgrade is at the bottom of this, then re-install the former Bios.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Here is what I've done to solve it:

If I go to device manager, disable the ilok and then enable it back, 2 times out of 3 it stays on and PT starts well.

Since I spent 7 days reinstalling and rebooting and drain my brain allover, i decided that IT'S PERFECT like that!

Regards
Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM

I wonder if the USB port somehow got messed up. You might try adding a PCI(or PCIe) card with USB ports on it. They are cheap enough that if it doesn't work, you're only out $12(and now you have extra USB ports for other stuff)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I did the clean install and careful uninstall. I even formated drives a few times just to be sure I start over clean.
Thing is.. I did upgraded Bios and I'm afraid that I shouldn't have.

This machine worked perfect for 6 months and then suddenly got broken.

Err.. Should the Ilok folder (in c:\Program files\ilok) contain any files after drivers installation?? There's nothing there?!
You might try changing any USB related BIOS settings one at a time to see if it clears things up. Example USB Legacy support mode should be AUTO (I think). USB speed should be set to HIGHSPEED etc. Check these one at a time. Another area to look might be to try setting "Plug and Play OS" to NO (or conversely to YES if its set to NO).

My PACE Folder

C/Program Files/PACE Anti Piracy/iLok contains.

iLokDvr (folder)
Paceilui.dll
License_Client.rtf
iLokCom2.exe
NPPaceIlok.dll
PacePlugin.dll

The iLokDvr folder contains
x86 (Folder)
iLokDvr.inf
iLok-x86.cat

My Interlok Folder

C/Program Files/Interlok folder is empty.

I don't have a C/Program Files/iLok folder

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page