Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 AM

Default MBox 3 Pro, 003, or Profire 2626

I am a novice, I know. I have been working on demos with Pro Tools LE since the first MBox, but in the last year I have took the plunge and immersed myself into adiophiliac solitude. I'm obsessed with sound now, even when I started recording my friends bands and my own projects and others loved it, I'm still looking to improve, I know there is WAY more to recording than MBox and PTLE. So, my question is, within reason, what is the next step?

I have a PreSonus Studio Live 16, which I use through Logic and import into PT. It's at 48k max, but I do get 16 channels of live recording in a simply manor with 'decent' enough pre amps, and I know you have to come down to 96k on most 192k systems when you use all 8 channels. I will make the upgrade to PT8, but I don't know what to get next.

The new MBox 3 Pro seems to be a fairly versatile interface... if it ever comes out, 4 channels of 192k (drops with more channels I assume). My next thought is a 003 system, but they don't yet support 192. I love using PT, so it seems I'm rather forced to use the hardware, does anyone have experience with the M-Audio Profire 2626? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

It seems to me a viable option- assuming I slowly collect the right pre-amps and adat's.

Are the Pre-Amps that much better on the 003? Is sample rate over-rated?

Any suggestions? And no, I won't buy an HD or some crazy Avalon Pre-Amp with one channel for $3k. I have a Focusrite ISA one already (amazing DI for cello, mandolin, banjo, you name it!), the 8-channel model would be ideal.

All Best,
Jamison
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Default Re: MBox 3 Pro, 003, or Profire 2626

First I would wait a bit and see what else Digi releases. As far as sample rates go, sometimes a converter that can do higher rates might be better, but not because it does higher rates. It would just be because it is a better converter. FWIW I stick with 44.1, as sometimes things can change with sample rate conversion, and my projects go to cd. Higher sample rates also take more processing power and use more space on the hard drive. If I did want to use higher rates I would jump to 88.2, as my understanding is it's an easier conversion from 88.2 to 44.1 than 48 to 44.1.

But back to topic if I had to choose between all 3 of those right now I'd look at how many I/O I'm going to need in the future. Try to look as far forward as you can until you think you'd like to get a bigger/better interface. And I know you said no HD, but have you seen the new HD native? Something else to ponder.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwald View Post
I am a novice, I know. I have been working on demos with Pro Tools LE since the first MBox, but in the last year I have took the plunge and immersed myself into adiophiliac solitude. I'm obsessed with sound now, even when I started recording my friends bands and my own projects and others loved it, I'm still looking to improve, I know there is WAY more to recording than MBox and PTLE. So, my question is, within reason, what is the next step?

I have a PreSonus Studio Live 16, which I use through Logic and import into PT. It's at 48k max, but I do get 16 channels of live recording in a simply manor with 'decent' enough pre amps, and I know you have to come down to 96k on most 192k systems when you use all 8 channels. I will make the upgrade to PT8, but I don't know what to get next.

The new MBox 3 Pro seems to be a fairly versatile interface... if it ever comes out, 4 channels of 192k (drops with more channels I assume). My next thought is a 003 system, but they don't yet support 192. I love using PT, so it seems I'm rather forced to use the hardware, does anyone have experience with the M-Audio Profire 2626? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

It seems to me a viable option- assuming I slowly collect the right pre-amps and adat's.

Are the Pre-Amps that much better on the 003? Is sample rate over-rated?

Any suggestions? And no, I won't buy an HD or some crazy Avalon Pre-Amp with one channel for $3k. I have a Focusrite ISA one already (amazing DI for cello, mandolin, banjo, you name it!), the 8-channel model would be ideal.

All Best,
Jamison
192k is overrated, for sure. Most people don't even understand what its purpose is, and that it just sounds "better" because it's a higher resolution. While 192k does technically provide greater detail... most people couldn't tell you the difference between a 48k session and a 192k session. Especially if you don't have an extravagant monitoring system to play it on. The most significant difference with 192k is the filesize... which is astronomical, and you'll find sessions to be extremely large. Unless you are mixing for theatrical releases or Blue Ray... there's virtually no reason to use 192k. Even in large studios, most people still work with 48k, and occasionally 96k.

The 003 has decent pres, but it's sounding like the new MBoxes are in that range or better. That being said... a new top end LE interface is coming very soon. If not in the next couple weeks, then the next couple months. As CME said, it's best to wait a bit to see what comes out.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the input! I'm not in a hurry, just exploring my options. I guess my basic issues are getting a new avid interface that doesn't have the monitor ground hum of the mbox 2 and utilizing better pre-amps and adat. I think my next move would be getting the ADAT card for my ISA one, testing the SPDIF, and waiting for an upgrade.

Channels aren't an issue at the moment, I have 16 with the StudioLive, I focus on the drums but have full bands play so that the drummer gets the full dynamic of the song. After that I over-dub with two channels on the mbox 2 in PT. It seems the MBox 3 Pro may be the most logical buy in the future, but I'll wait to see what everyone says about it what problems arise.

CME, I think Native and HD would be great, but it's just way too much power for me right now. Baby steps... I've been getting great results with my current rig- it seems everyone I know is coming to me now for all their recording and mastering. I'm not convinced it's that good, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwald View Post
I've been getting great results with my current rig- it seems everyone I know is coming to me now for all their recording and mastering. I'm not convinced it's that good, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I meant mixing, not mastering.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Yeah I didn't think HD Native would be your thing. But if your recording bands, as of right now anyways, there's an 18 channel limit on I/O in PTLE. So as long as you're aware of that then no worries. Just didn't want you to soon need 24 inputs and not have a way to get them.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Sorry to interject out of the blue, but Dism said a new top end LE interface is coming very soon? So it'll be more powerful then the new Mbox 3s that aren't out yet?

I actually have a similar situation Jwald and have been having difficulty deciding what unit to upgrade to. I've also been considering the Mbox3 or 003, but if they're making another new (better) unit I may have to wait!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM

I agree, wait, Avid is on a roll. But, let me say, forget anything that is not AVID/Protools, don't even consider M-Audio or ProTools M Powered. Sounds good in theory, but Avid/Digi is tightly integrated, no worries. i don't care what anybody tells you, listen to my advice on this one.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-28-2010, 01:59 AM

I agree. Someone made the comment in another thread that DigiDesign has always kept Pro Tools usable with only their interfaces so that it would all work with the least amount of bugs- a la Apple and Mac OS. It seems to be working, I haven't crashed once in two years, but I also keep my computers in a closed network and refrain from updates once everything is going good.