Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Default New Rig and still running out on cpu?? :C

Hi guys! First, thanks to all the people that helped me in the past with your suggestions, comments, etc.

So, I sold my laptop and built a new desktop rig (See sandra) following HW specs. posted here in the I7 builds post, just to have a better compatibility chance from people that already tried them. I´m currently running Pro Tools 9.06 and I´m still getting the error message "running out on cpu, remove some plugins..." when I´m mixing. The cpu does not even hit 35%, same reading in the task manager.

I´ve done every possible optimization listed on the avid´s site,videos and also here on other post. I don´t even connect the rig to the internet and have installed the least possible programs. The sad history is it goes from workflow to ERRORflow with PT, and I have to take the tracks to old cubase 4 to end the mix there, where I can get 80% of the cpu with no errors of freezes.WHY?

Any solution to this issue?

How much cpu do you use in windows with the same or another close as the intel I7 960 processor?

Does somebody know if running in Mac will increase the flow and cpu usage?

Is it worth to turn this one into a hackintosh?

It is worth to OVECLOCK?

Another problem that I have is that I can not increase the buffer size because something is not working well between the Focusrite scarlett 8/6 and PT9. Again no problems with Cubase. When I change the buffer size, and pro tools restarts, the session collapses into a nightmare!! There is stuttering, audio drop outs, distortion, or even it dies with no audio coming out. As I said, I have no more workflow!! Is it that hard with PT?

Here is my sandra report

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : EP-PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : GigaByte X58A-UD3R
Chassis : GigaByte Desktop
Mainboard : GigaByte X58A-UD3R
BIOS : Award (OEM) FE 12/23/2010
Total Memory : 12GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (4C 8T 3.2GHz, 2.13GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)

Chipset
Memory Controller : Giga-Byte X58 I/O Hub 2x 2.4GHz (4.79GHz) FSB
Memory Controller : Giga-Byte Core Desktop (Bloomfield) UnCore 2x 2.4GHz (4.79GHz) FSB, 3x 4GB DIMM DDR3 2x 532MHz (1GHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 5-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 5-34-10-5)

Video System
Video Adapter : AMD Radeon HD 6450 (SM5.0 625MHz, 1GB 533MHz, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : Caicos (160SP 2C 625MHz, 1GB)
Compute Shader Processor : AMD Radeon HD 6450 (625MHz, 1GB 533MHz)

Storage Devices
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5") : 932GB (F:) (G:) (H:)
Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 (500.1GB, SATA600, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (C:)
Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 (500.1GB, SATA600, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (D:)
CHIPSBNK v3.3.8.8 (2.1GB, USB2) : 2GB (I:)
ELBY CLONEDRIVE (SCSI, SCSI-2, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD-R, CD-R, 256kB Cache) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS)
Audio (D:) : 466GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 (500.1GB, SATA600, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
librerias (H:) : 346GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5")
Storage 1 (F:) : 295GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5")
Storage 2 (G:) : 291GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5")
Hard Disk (C:) : 466GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 (500.1GB, SATA600, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ ELBY CLONEDRIVE (SCSI, SCSI-2, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD-R, CD-R, 256kB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Giga-Byte LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8720F
Audio Device : Giga-Byte HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : Pine Technology NI Caicos HDMI Audio [AMD RADEON HD 6450]
Audio Codec : ATI (AMD) HDMI Audio
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte 4 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte 2 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte 88SE91A3 SATA-600 Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller
USB Controller 1 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #4
USB Controller 2 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #5
USB Controller 3 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #6
USB Controller 4 : Giga-Byte USB EHCI Controller #2
USB Controller 5 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #1
USB Controller 6 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #2
USB Controller 7 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #3
USB Controller 8 : Giga-Byte USB EHCI Controller #1
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Giga-Byte TSB43AB23 1394a-2000 OHCI PHY/link-layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Network Services

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Business 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.2

Again, thanks for the replies!!

Erick
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Default Re: New Rig and still running out on cpu?? :C

Running the same mobo here with the i7 950 and it smokes, but I did take some fussing that you will likely need to go thru as well. Some things to look at are:
Check your BIOS and run the latest
Set RAM timings and voltages manually(AUTO will suck)
Disable everything you don't need(that means no RAID)
Do all the system tweaks that Avid mentions
Set PT to always Run as Admin, with themes and desktop composition off
Turn OFF speed step
Maybe roll back to 9 or 9.0.3(9.0.6 gave worse performance here)
Run the Dverb2 test(page 1 of the i7 thread). Your rig, when setup right, should turn in a good 500 Dverbs at 1024. If its less than 400, you still have issues to sort out.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 AM

Hi albee1952! Thank for the reply!!

Yeah , I think the rig should smoke too, but until know its a bit disapointing. But I willing to sort the things out!!!

Ok, I was checking some of the suggestion you tell me to follow:

Check your BIOS and run the latest. I´ve just updated to FH version!

Here I will need some more help body! I was checking in the bios and found in the Advanced Memory Sett. the option DRAM Timming Selec should be the one to tweak and it is on auto, but what should I select? Same for the voltage that I think is in the Adv. volt. sett. DRAM volt: 1.5 v. Auto and the DRAM term. set to 0.750v.

I have also corsair DDR3 memories, the vengeance 12Gbs pack. These are 1600MHz, but the mobo does not support this speed and I think they run at 1060 Mhz. Is that ok?

I´ve disable the onboard audio inter. azaki driver or something like that. also the Lan option since I dont connect this one to the net.
Regarding the Raid I found the G SATA RAID mode contr. set to FW MODE. Should it be on bypass?

Update Graphics Driver: DONE!
Update Network Adapter Drivers: Did not found and the netw. is turn off
Disable Turbo Boost and C-State Transition (BIOS) DONE!
Adjust Power Options DONE!
Run as Administrator DONE!! it disables desktop composition when PT starts, only remains basic theme and desktop bkgrnd. SHOULD I disable those also?
Hard Disk Optimizations. Done!
Install Latest Device Drivers (Pro Tools 9 and higher only) ONLY FOR AVID INTERFACES I THINK?? I have the latest focusrite drivers and mixcontrol soft.
Adjust Processor Scheduling DONE!
Disable Screen Saver DONE!!

Also followed some W7 opt. like turn off some W7 feat in the add/rem programs like games, media center, XPS reader.
- Set off the unneeded prgs at mscofig start up progs and services. Also disable or set to manual some services according to focusrite support http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/. I followed every avid video on youtube or opt. in knowledge database....

Turn OFF speed step. Did not found it on the mobo settings. Please help!!

Until now still running pt 9.06, the dverb test ends up recording 57 chs, 285 dverbs, 5 min recording without error messages and a cpu usage at 93%, 8 cores in dae engine 90% cpu, max setting!! tried 7 cores at 99% but it wasn´t the best choice, the cpu message came immediately.

I´ll keep trying!!!

thanks for the next reply,

Erick
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Hi albee1952! Thanks for the reply!!

Yeah , I think the rig should smoke too, but until know its a bit disapointing. But I willing to sort the things out!!!

Ok, I was checking some of the suggestion you tell me to follow:

Check your BIOS and run the latest. I´ve just updated to FH version!

Here I will need some more help body! I was checking in the bios and found in the Advanced Memory Sett. the option DRAM Timming Selec should be the one to tweak and it is on auto, but what should I select? Same for the voltage that I think is in the Adv. volt. sett. DRAM volt: 1.5 v. Auto and the DRAM term. set to 0.750v.

I have also corsair DDR3 memories, the vengeance 12Gbs pack. These are 1600MHz, but the mobo does not support this speed and I think run them to 1060 Mhz. Is that ok?

I´ve disable the onboard audio int. azaki driver or something like that. also the Lan option since I dont connect this one to the net.
Regarding the Raid I found the G SATA RAID mode contr. set to FW MODE. Should it be on bypass?

Update Graphics Driver: DONE!
Update Network Adapter Drivers: Did not found and the netw. is turn off
Disable Turbo Boost and C-State Transition (BIOS) DONE!
Adjust Power Options DONE!
Run as Administrator DONE!! and also it disables desktop composition when PT starts, remains basic theme and desktop bkgrnd. SHOULD I disable those also?
Hard Disk Optimizations. Done!
Install Latest Device Drivers (Pro Tools 9 and higher only) ONLY FOR AVID INTERFACES I THINK??
Adjust Processor Scheduling DONE!
Disable Screen Saver DONE!!

Also followed some W7 opt. like turn off some W7 feat in the add/rem programs like games, media center, XPS reader.
- disable windows sounds, visual fx, disable DEP for PT.
- opt. start up prog. and services
- disable some services following this sheet that I found in the focusrite web.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

Turn OFF speed step. I couldn´t found this option, where is it?

Maybe roll back to 9 or 9.0.3 I will try it today

Dverb test: I run it and just colud run 57 channels with 5 dverbs, but have to disable some. End up with 275 dverbs at 1024 ( actually 960 because in the focusrite interface you have 20 ms as the mayor latency setting).

So, since we have pretty close rigs what could be wrong?
Again, would it be worth to OC?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM

I'll ask the obvious- what plugins are you running? Are you just running plugins included with PT, or are you running third party plugins?

Are you running any virtual instruments? In my experience with PT9 on an i7 machine is that you should be fine if you stick the plugins provided by PT. If you use third party plugins, ESPECIALLY virtual instruments, do not expect your system to be stable. I can run one track of audio and a virtual instrument from the approved list and PT will be unusable. If I stick to the products offered in the package, things are exponentially more stable!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
  • WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S)
  • Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (MC 2.4)
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT