Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 AM

Default 2nd DAW MIDI WORKFLOW?

Hey Guys,

Here's wishing everyone here a great new year, with much-improved PT stability and performance! No harm in dreaming, yes?

For heavy midi users, PT has always been a disappointment, and even more so lately. I know many guys here use a different DAW for midi. What's your workflow? How do you integrate your midi work into PT? Do you finish your midi and import it into PT? Do you commit and import as audio? I'm assuming most people will mix in PT.

I've had just about enough of the poor midi performance in PT, and want to use another DAW for that. I'll stop trying to avoid new learning curves, and just go for it. Personally leaning toward Studio 1, but any insight from other 2nd DAW users will be welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Re: 2nd DAW MIDI WORKFLOW?

I've been doing the multiple DAW thing for as long as I've used Pro Tools. For me it's mostly Logic for midi, although I do have Cubase as well. A lot of what I do starts with live musicians playing together, so I track in Pro Tools and just bounce a 2 mix out to work with in Logic for any midi work I'm adding. When I'm done in Logic, I just bounce all the tracks at once, and import the audio back into Pro Tools. If the production is more centered around the programming, then I will start the track in Logic first and move over to Pro Tools when I start recording audio or for mixing.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Check out DP. Demo here:http://motu.com/download
Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM

pretty much combination with other DAW when programming MIDI. I never had a problem working PT's MIDI workflow, it's not the best but nonetheless not a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hey Guys,

Here's wishing everyone here a great new year, with much-improved PT stability and performance! No harm in dreaming, yes?

For heavy midi users, PT has always been a disappointment, and even more so lately. I know many guys here use a different DAW for midi. What's your workflow? How do you integrate your midi work into PT? Do you finish your midi and import it into PT? Do you commit and import as audio? I'm assuming most people will mix in PT.

I've had just about enough of the poor midi performance in PT, and want to use another DAW for that. I'll stop trying to avoid new learning curves, and just go for it. Personally leaning toward Studio 1, but any insight from other 2nd DAW users will be welcome. Thanks!
Just out of curiosity, what you find lacking in PT midi wise that's preventing you from working ?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Being windows based, I love Cubase for midi. I love Pro Tools for Audio.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:04 PM

I don't really love Pro Tools for anything, but it's a necessary evil in a pro studio. Whenever I can, I'm using Digital Performer. Pro Tools gets fired up when someone insists on it. PT does integrate nicely with the Avid Artist Series controllers I have though.

[SIZE="1"]Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Acer B326HUL 32" 2560 X 1440, VIZIO video monitor
Mojave 10.114.6, Pro Tools 20.3.0.163
Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt), MOTU 2408 MkII (x2), MOTU MTP AV USB (x2)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
Just out of curiosity, what you find lacking in PT midi wise that's preventing you from working ?
It doesn't prevent me from working; it just doesn't work the way it should. I'll just quote this from another thread, he states it quite succinctly:

QUOTE:
Oh god, how do we start?

1- on Protools 12.6 midi was recorded late depending on your buffer size settings.

2- on PT 12.7 they fixed the midi bug but now sustain and pitch bend don't play back well.

3- On any Protools version, if you want to use an external hardware synth, you have to set manually the "midi offset" preference according to your general latency to be able to playback your midi recording in sync with your song. This is an automatic feature on every DAW but Protools.

4- If you want to use a Virtual Instrument like Geist2 or Akai Mpc plug in, all your programming will play out of sync depending (again) on the latency of the delay compensation.

5- Sometimes Protools forgets the midi assignment of a virtual instrument or a hardware instrument. Lets say you finish your song, save it and when you open it again, your virtual instruments are unassigned. Really beautiful!

6- When you commit an instrument with multiple outs routed to aux channels, some of them will not play if you hide and make inactive the main virtual instrument, this is a very weird bug, because the waveform is there! But if you hide and make inactive the original midi track, your rendered tracks will not play...classy!

These are on the top of my memory but there are many more.

As you said you can read the last 3 pages of this forum to find many users complaining about midi implementation on Protools.
END OF QUOTE.

All of the above, but I'll add a couple more:

Midi timing is very loose in PT compared to other DAWs. Cut and paste is not precise, and I find myself sometimes having to re-quantize stuff that I've pasted. Did you use midi in 12.6? It was virtually useless, and I had to revert to 12.4. I have used PT midi for 15 years because I didn't want to complicate my workflow, but the recent midi bugs are inexcusable.

Don't get me wrong; PT is great for tracking, audio editing and mixing, but midi functionality is like something that was stuck on as an afterthought (which indeed it was, because PT was primarily a tape substitute) and it hasn't been developed since then. Browse this forum, and you'll see how many people are dissatisfied with PT midi.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
It doesn't prevent me from working; it just doesn't work the way it should. I'll just quote this from another thread, he states it quite succinctly:

QUOTE:
Oh god, how do we start?

1- on Protools 12.6 midi was recorded late depending on your buffer size settings.

2- on PT 12.7 they fixed the midi bug but now sustain and pitch bend don't play back well.

3- On any Protools version, if you want to use an external hardware synth, you have to set manually the "midi offset" preference according to your general latency to be able to playback your midi recording in sync with your song. This is an automatic feature on every DAW but Protools.

4- If you want to use a Virtual Instrument like Geist2 or Akai Mpc plug in, all your programming will play out of sync depending (again) on the latency of the delay compensation.

5- Sometimes Protools forgets the midi assignment of a virtual instrument or a hardware instrument. Lets say you finish your song, save it and when you open it again, your virtual instruments are unassigned. Really beautiful!

6- When you commit an instrument with multiple outs routed to aux channels, some of them will not play if you hide and make inactive the main virtual instrument, this is a very weird bug, because the waveform is there! But if you hide and make inactive the original midi track, your rendered tracks will not play...classy!

These are on the top of my memory but there are many more.

As you said you can read the last 3 pages of this forum to find many users complaining about midi implementation on Protools.
END OF QUOTE.

All of the above, but I'll add a couple more:

Midi timing is very loose in PT compared to other DAWs. Cut and paste is not precise, and I find myself sometimes having to re-quantize stuff that I've pasted. Did you use midi in 12.6? It was virtually useless, and I had to revert to 12.4. I have used PT midi for 15 years because I didn't want to complicate my workflow, but the recent midi bugs are inexcusable.

Don't get me wrong; PT is great for tracking, audio editing and mixing, but midi functionality is like something that was stuck on as an afterthought (which indeed it was, because PT was primarily a tape substitute) and it hasn't been developed since then. Browse this forum, and you'll see how many people are dissatisfied with PT midi.
I use PT's midi for scoring and have not encounter any of the issues mentioned above, but then again, i'm still on version 11. It is quite alarming from your post that users are paying for yearly subscription only to be stuck with buggy software. Really hope Avid will concentrate on fixing all the midi issues instead of introducing new features on the next release.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Default 2nd DAW MIDI WORKFLOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I use PT's midi for scoring and have not encounter any of the issues mentioned above, but then again, i'm still on version 11. It is quite alarming from your post that users are paying for yearly subscription only to be stuck with buggy software. Really hope Avid will concentrate on fixing all the midi issues instead of introducing new features on the next release.

Yes most of my points are protools 12 related, but my point #3 happens even on version 11:

If you use a hardware synth, midi play back earlier (out of sync) as soon as you start using plug ins with latency, you have to manually set the midi "offset" to make it play in sync, its a fact.

Happy new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk