Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Default Possible to un-commit in 12.3 at any point?

Maybe stupid question:

Is it possible to un-commit (un-freeze) at any point to get the original state of the track back? I thought the point of freeze is that it is "in place" and when you want to tweak things you simply un-freeze and re-freeze, no?

Thanks,

Frank.

EDIT: sorry, just saw that commits are to a new track. strange... so basically it's the same as offline bounce but you don't have to go through the questions where you want the result (clip-list, track etc.)? So if I decide to delete the un-commited original there's no way I can ever go back to the un-committed state?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.3 is out Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
So if I decide to delete the un-commited original there's no way I can ever go back to the un-committed state?
Yes, just like deleting a file from your hard drive can never be gotten back. So you only do it when you're 1000% sure. (I'll never do it)

Otherwise, 99.999999999% of the time, you'll do Hide and Make Inactive for the uncommitted track so you have them both. This frees up CPU, delay comp, and "future proofs" the track.

Freeze, coming later, will be for tracks that you'll be continuing to work with and will need to Freeze and unfreeze.

When it's all in place, the user will have a great set of tools to handle whatever they need IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Yes, just like deleting a file from your hard drive can never be gotten back. So you only do it when you're 1000% sure. (I'll never do it)

Otherwise, 99.999999999% of the time, you'll do Hide and Make Inactive for the uncommitted track so you have them both. This frees up CPU, delay comp, and "future proofs" the track.

Freeze, coming later, will be for tracks that you'll be continuing to work with and will need to Freeze and unfreeze.

When it's all in place, the user will have a great set of tools to handle whatever they need IMO.
Thanks for the clarification. So it's more an extended offline-bounce function. I thought this commit-thing was AVID equivalent of freeze. I remember reading somewhere that commit is just like freeze but with more options. I guess I misunderstood.

The hide-and-make-inactive-thing in a post-workflow is quite an adventure. With multiple hundred tracks to do house-keeping on I don't see me doing that for the committed tracks and originals. Maintaining the tracks I have now is quite a challenge on a system that doesn't offer sequence-handling, bins etc. Not sure if this commit-and-keep-original-workflow helps with that. If there's some kind of intelligence when the committed tracks knows which original is belongs to that's something else. But if it's the usual .dup1 .dup2 etc,. workflow I'm not sure if that helps keeping things uncluttered. Without having seen it obviously it sounds like it creates even more house keeping work...similar to using playlists in post.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Possible to un-commit in 12.3 at any point?

Freeze is coming. But this is a really good solution for tracks you are finished with. While technically you could already do all of this, being able to do it in one step is a big time saver. Especially since you can do multiple tracks at once.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM

I've tested this with Trigger and Melodyne and it's all working perfectly.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:24 PM

I am assuming no commit functionality for UAD plugs?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Sure you can. It may slow the offline bounce a little. I just committed a track with hardware inserts.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Thanks for the clarification. So it's more an extended offline-bounce function. I thought this commit-thing was AVID equivalent of freeze. I remember reading somewhere that commit is just like freeze but with more options. I guess I misunderstood.

The hide-and-make-inactive-thing in a post-workflow is quite an adventure. With multiple hundred tracks to do house-keeping on I don't see me doing that for the committed tracks and originals. Maintaining the tracks I have now is quite a challenge on a system that doesn't offer sequence-handling, bins etc. Not sure if this commit-and-keep-original-workflow helps with that. If there's some kind of intelligence when the committed tracks knows which original is belongs to that's something else. But if it's the usual .dup1 .dup2 etc,. workflow I'm not sure if that helps keeping things uncluttered. Without having seen it obviously it sounds like it creates even more house keeping work...similar to using playlists in post.
One thing to note about inactive tracks is that once hidden, you can easily find them on your track list because the track names/info is in italics. That might help in housekeeping if you have a bunch of tracks like you said. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yes but because of their oversampling, it's slow.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
. I just committed a track with hardware inserts.
Realtime of course!!