Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Punch-in: How are you getting around monitoring issues?

It is one of the most common maneuvers in recording - the punch in or drop in if you will, yet you cannot do it in Pro Tools any more. You can't hear the existing audio on the track you're punching.

What sort of ways are you using to get around this? Difficulty: buying HD is not an option.

Performing the perfect take every time would be great, but anyone who has been doing this for over an hour knows that isn't always possible or we could do everything we need to do with a half track, a mixer and some good mics.

I'm a MOTU user, and I have screwed around with every configuration of CueMix and Pro Tools that I can think of and cannot seem to be able to hear what I need to hear to perform the most common and simple procedure in recording.

I'm over being mad about this because I am stuck with what I have. I've used PT for over a decade and it is what I use. I just want to use what I have and record my music in the logical way I have recorded for years.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Punch-in: How are you getting around monitoring issues?

Under "Track" on the top toolbar make sure you have it set to "Auto Input Monitoring", and not "Input Only Monitoring". If the dropdown box currently reads "Input Only Monitoring", that means your are currently in "Auto Input Monitoring" mode, which is where you want to be. Kind of confusing, but that's how it works. I am still using version 7.4, so perhaps they changed something since then, but there has to be a way to hear the existing audio prior to the punch in point.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
It is one of the most common maneuvers in recording - the punch in or drop in if you will, yet you cannot do it in Pro Tools any more. You can't hear the existing audio on the track you're punching.
Hi,
Yes you can, as mjslakeridge said. Check the Reference Manual - it's all explained there.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM

As cool as the MOTU boxes are, with my 003, I never have any punch-in or monitoring problems.. One solution for you would be to use playlists, record several passes, and then comp.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Well I feel kind of stupid because I KNEW the answer, but had totally forgotten. This system is still relatively new to me. Years of working with the 001, I set the input monitoring on that and never worried about it again. I should have recalled that but it's been a decade now.

I do comp tracks a lot, but in some instances I prefer to do a drop - especially when the musician is tired/fed-up and the song is eight minutes long.

So... I imagine with your 003 you don't have to change it back and forth do you? I learned last night that if you don't change back after your drop you can't hear. So I guess that changing back and forth between the monitoring settings is just one of those inconveniences for 3rd party device users.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 AM

This is where the integration of hardware/software has a distinct advantage. I just leave it on Auto-Input all the time. The only time I switch it is for a performer that wants to rehearse something a bunch.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM

yea that is how I used to do it too.

I have had a devil of a time adjusting to the disadvantages of having a 3rd party device. I was spoiled with my 001. But the advantages and modern features of PT10 helps to smooth out the bumps.